taking stock…

So, I guess it’s time to talk about those unfinished quilts. It seems as though it’s been easy for me to finish a quilt top, hide it away in a closet, and start another. I went looking for unfinished quilt tops the other day, and let me tell you, it’s not pretty. Well, actually, it is pretty, but the situation… well, that’s kind of dire. I’m hoping that discussing it here will help me make a dent in finishing up some of these quilts. Any encouragement is welcome!

So how about a quick preview of what we’re dealing with here (in no particular order) -

Improv solids

Perfectly Perched in plum

[Update: Finished quilt here!]

Flea Market Fancy Swoon

Cubicles

[Update: Finished quilt here!]

Timbrrr!

Ruby Strings

[Updated: finished quilt here!]

Graduated Rainbow

Liberty patchwork

Simply Solids

Anthro sheets (quilt top has been finished, but not yet shown here!)

[Updated: finished quilt here!]

bella, bella, bella!

[Update: A finished quilt here]

Breakout

Swirling Swans

[Updated: finished quilt here!]

quilting bee quilt (finally turned into a quilt top!)

low volume #2 (also now a finished quilt top, but not yet shown here)

Any votes on what to start with first? This girl needs help, and a little motivation!

(I suppose it goes without saying that if I’m not in this space in the near future, you can assume I’m busy working on quilt tops er, backs!)

_ _ _

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

115 Responses to taking stock…

mary says:

My goodness! I sort of envy you but can’t imagine where you might begin! Good luck!

This makes me feel better about my WIPs, only slightly since they are not even quilt tops yet but still…. I would vote for either Liberty or Simply Solids since they are my favourites.

dxx

Joana says:

Please finish Liberty patchwork! It’s so simple and beautiful. I wish I could make something like that one day :-)

Catrin says:

Wow, I adore you quilttops. Especially the solid colored ones. I think you should start with the first one. I love it. The colors are gorgeous.
    Greetings from Germany
    Catrin

CarolE says:

I’d start with the Liberty prints for sure — and then move on to Simply Solids. After that I’d want to finish the Swoon quilt — and then quilt up the Ruby. If I wasn’t too tired, I’d go ahead and do the Brrrr. If you finish all those, let me know what’s left and what’s been added, and I’ll help you with your next quilting decision. Now I should go dig through my stack and decide.

Ooo…definitely Simply Solids. I’m real excited about that one!

My Lord that really is not pretty (in a kind of a lot of quilting has to be done way). I would start simply from top and work my way down systematically. You know, each and everyone of those is really pretty and it would be such a shame if only the cupboard gets to see them because they are unfinished. Go get them !

Susanne says:

Oh I would love to help you with Perfectly Perched in plum and Ruby Strings ;) These would be my favourites. Do you have plans with them?
    Susanne

Suzan says:

I have baskets that are filled with quilt tops so I feel your pain! I have no excuse not to finish them because I have access to a long arm so even the big ones are easy to do. I think I would decide which quilt was my absolute favorite and do that one first. Once you get going you will probably gain momentum. Then again, if you are like me you will just make another quilt top!

Susan says:

I would do things differently. I would start with the smallest quilt because I could get it done fairly quickly. That way I could see some progress. Then move on to the next one that’s small. And small is relative to the sizes of all the others.

Faith says:

I suddenly feel a lot better about my unfinished quilt top situation. LOL They are all beautiful though! I would probably do 1 big one, 1 little one, 1 big one, and so on….

Kerstin says:

Liberty! Definitely Liberty! And then on to the solids. But I know this feeling to need to start something new, it’s just so tempting to play with new fabric, isn’t it?

prsd4tim2 says:

They are all lovely. It would be hard to know where to start. I like the process of making the quilt top best also. I don’t really mind the quilting either. But I hate the sandwiching/basting process. Ugh. Necessary, but definitely NOT my favorite part.

Any of these would be a fantastic finish, but I think I’d do Swoon or Swirling Swans – they look to be a little smaller and you’d have a quick finish and maybe motivation to do another?!

Good luck.

And if you’re looking for a home for one or two of them (and maybe additional motivation to finish), you might check out Julie’s blog post yesterday at Having Fun Quilting. She calls it Operation Wood Hollow. The plight of these folks just breaks my heart. I’m digging into my WIP pile this weekend.

Marika says:

I vote for the perfectly perched in plum !! I lov those colors together :)

And you’re right, it’s pretty, but it’s not. I’m glad I don’t have that many quilt tops started, I’d feel bad starting yet another one everytime I’d want to. Why don’t you try to finish just one or two per month ? With two, you’d be almost done by the end of the year… that could be encouraging.

Sewfrench says:

Ha Ha! I love it!
    And to think I was thinking people were *finishing* all those quilts they are whipping out!!
    The Liberty patchwork should be next up, IMO!!

Freddie says:

Goodness such lovely quilts.
    It’s difficult to say which should go first but I would would go oldest first. Purely because the poor quilt top has had to wait longest.

Penny G says:

I thought it would be easy to choose, but I love so many I can’t pick one for you to work on. Hope someone can pick. I started with the typewriters, then the swoon, then…, then…, good luck!

Tanis says:

Wow, what a gorgeous collection of quilt tops! Good luck with the quilt backs!

Jo says:

start with the smallest ones! that way you can get a few done in no time and you feel better for finishing a few in the same time it takes to do one big one!

I actually had quite an emotional reaction to seeing ALL of these quilts unfinished! Too much hard work invested to leave them in a pile in the closet! I vote: 1. Swoon: send it out for professional FMQ; 2. Liberty Patchwork: tie it up and start using it!; 3. Bella: quilt it yourself starting right now ;)

Good luck!

Kelly O. says:

I think considering the sheer number of tops you should look at them practically. which one is the oldest and start there, or look at the fabric you have for backs and start with the back that would be the least work or you have on hand….or you could just lay them all out and spin around 3 times and point.
    Very practical.
    Good luck!

Fran says:

Do the one that you would use and enjoy!

Jeni says:

Wow, what a feast for my eyes! I love the way your Anthro one is turning out! I think after you finish a few you should treat yourself to getting one long-armed! That’s definitely in my current WIP game plan! ;)

I agree with Susan – starting with the smallest might be a good motivator because it’d be quickest to finish, but I am totally in love with your quilting bee quilt – the colors just make me smile! As always, your quilts rock!

Francine – Nottingham, PA

Laura C says:

Agree that you should start with the Liberty, and yeah, tie it! I find that having a DEADLINE helps me. Like, I’ll give this quilt only this month. Or, this is due for my friend’s birthday. Or, once I had to finish quilting one so that we would have something warm to sleep under when we lived abroad!

Sequana says:

OMG…..the Plum is so beautiful! If that were mine, I could not stand to have that in the closet. At least send it out if you don’t want to do it. It’s screaming to be finished.

Those are such beautiful quilt tops! The colors are so bright and I love all of the solids. Start with whichever one gets your the most excited to get quilting and that will help to build up your momentum!

- Katie Fleming
    Kate Michelle Designs

elsa says:

Oh, all those lovely quilts!
    Close your eyes and pick one to quilt ~ that’s what I’d do!

Jenny says:

Oh my word. That was brave of you to show. Get to quilting! Take a page from Dave Ramsey and start with your smallest “debt” to get the ball rolling. These are all too amazing to stay unfinished.

debbie says:

Do the liberty next!!!

Alice R. says:

Start by sending me one of those troubling quilt tops! Tee hee. ;-)

What a beautiful show. Start anywhere as they are all lovely, and will be such an addition to your home. Thanks for sharing your lovely photos.

pam says:

You should sell a few of the unfinished tops (to a buyer like MOI!). I’d love to finish one of those babies…………. :)

Paige says:

Wow. They’re all fantastic but I don’t know how you’re sitting on Perfectly Perched and Ruby Strings without finishing them. Gorgeous!

CJ says:

I’d start with the Swoon because I’d like to get that one onto my bed! I do like the idea of getting some small ones done so you can say “finished!” I don’t have too many completed tops (2, I think) that need to be finished, but I’m bad about starting to piece a pattern (especially quilt-alongs) and not finishing because I get distracted by a different cute pattern.

Chelsea says:

I know this is going to sound like sacrilege, but I don’t think all quilt tops need to become quilts. If you think of them as any other artist would as studies in colour, line, and form, once the top is pieced and you’ve explored that idea, why does it need to go further. Besides we all have central heating now, it’s not like we need to sleep under dozens of quilts to keep warm. So I say quilt the one you’re most passionate about right now. The others, find some way to display them the way they are, as wonderful, tactile art, and keep enjoying your process.

Sharmond says:

What an inspiration you are! These are all so beautiful! I would love to see Perfectly Perched in Plum and Flea Market Swoon quilted up. You are a go-getter!

Sonia B says:

I’ve often wondered if I ought to just use a top as a back and then I’d kill two birds with one stone. All lovely quilt tops. Good luck.

Sequoia Bond says:

I loove love love the Simply Solid one!!!! I vote for it first then the Perfect Plum. Thanks for sharing your quilting awesomeness!!!

Oh Ashley you are so amazing! So many gorgeous quilt tops, all in one place. I say work on the one you are most inspired by first!

Susan S says:

They are all lovely but my vote goes to Cubicles (maybe because I’m sitting in one right now!.

Paula says:

Glad to know I’m not the only one… I also have a closet full of ‘tops’, though I must admit, most of mine also have the backs done. It’s the packing-up-to-go-the-quilter that’s daunting to me…

Just reach in and grab one..

Emily C says:

My favorites are liberty and simple solids…. And I’d love to see how you finish them.

kat says:

Wow. Wow. Wow. I’m jealous and frightened at the same time.

ruth says:

ugh, i have the same problem! haha, oh well – worse dilemmas to have :-)

Bethany says:

I’m in love with the Cubicles quilt! That and the simply solids quilt : ) I’d start with one of those : )

bdaiss says:

Oh my gosh! I wish I had the time to create that many quilt tops, much less contemplate quilting them. I think I have to work so long on hard on carving out the time to quilt that once the top is done I immediately want it quilted so I can enjoy it.

I vote for throwing them all in a basket and grabbing at random. : ) (But I’m partial to ruby strings.)

car54 says:

oh it must be in the air. i cleaned up my sewing room and found six in progress quilts so i am banned from starting anything else til some of them get finished. i have 3 tops done and in the basting/quilting process now.

i’d finish your Liberty because it would be so nice to sleep under in the warm weather.

Stephinie says:

oh.my.goodness.
    they are all beautiful!
    I’m smitten with the simply solids….. there is just something about that one that draws me in I can’t wait to see it come together.
    but I must admit anthro prints are a favorite of mine. beeeeeautiful fabric. so that’s my second choice.
    happy weekending to you!

Liberty patchwork OR ruby strings are my votes! Maybe alternate easiest/hardest to keep the pace? Slow projects make my mind wander!

Hallie says:

Haha! This is a good problem to have! I so wish I had the time to make a beautiful stack of quilt tops! I would start with the top that has the most emotional excitement for you to finish and then work down your stack of quilts finishing the next one with excitement and so on. This will build your momentem up as you continue thru your pile of tops to be excited for each one to be finished. Just a thought…

Dawn says:

Breakout and Bella Bella are the ones I would like to see finished. They are all wonderful but those stand out for me.

Pam says:

They are all gorgeous! My advice is to pick your favorite, because it will be easier to get started if you’re loving it.

blue.crab says:

Thank you for sharing. I feel much better about my five unfinished quilt tops. :) I hope you make a dent in your work….

Suzanne says:

Such a colorful and inspiring line up! I still dream of having your design wall.

Rhonda says:

I have a little incentive for you…and a new quarter is about to start! http://www.quilterinthegap.com/p/2012-finish-long.html

Tammy says:

Beautiful quilts!! I recently found myself in the same situation… With 16 quilts that needed to be finished. Like suggested above, I started with the smallest one to get me into the mindset of working my way through them. I now have 3 done & the backing made for the next 3 :)

Jenny Stewart says:

Wow! I wondered at how quickly you seemed to be making all these quilts! But they are only the tops!
    If it was me i’d want to start quilting one which I could see myself using or one that would be a gift for someone. That way I’d be more motivated to get the quilting done. maybe just pick your favorite and start with that one?

good luck!

Tamie says:

Oh my Ashley. I don’t know if I feel better or worse. I’d start with the smallest one to m ale quick progress. If/ when you get tired of quilting, reward yourself with a bit more piecing. But, oh my, they are beautiful.

Kerry says:

Welcome to the wonderful world of parenting! Just jump in while you have a chance!

OBVIOUSLY you need to start with the Liberty patchwork :) They all look beautiful, I don’t think I’d know which one to go for first either!

Franziska says:

my top five no six:
    Swoon
    Perfectly Perched in Plum
    Ruby Strings
    Simply Solids
    bella bella bella
    quilting bee quilt

Hope to see one of these quilted soon. Especially the Swoon Quilt.

Allison says:

Ruby Strings and Cubicles are to die for. They get my votes for finishing first!

Ashleigh says:

I always wondered how you got so much done. There’s always a new quilt top on the blog. Now we know – you’re cheating!! Just as well there are no quilt police to force us to finish on project at a time – or is that usually the husband’s job? hee hee. All beautiful as usual.

mlise says:

What a lovely and inspiring WIP collection!I suggest starting with Graduated Rainbow (but I love the other ones too). G.P. looks seductively simple & once again reminds me of the huge possibilities for variety in quilts.
    I hope to use this inspiration for something special :-)
    Best wishes,
    mlise
    P.S. Do remember that by tackling WIPs you are inspiring many of us to get down to business too, BEFORE following up on new ideas. It IS difficult isn’t it?

Lara says:

Start with the smallest or your favorite. Finishing one will make you feel fabulously motivated to finish another :) will look forward to seeing these get completed!

Fulvia says:

You have a great adventure ahead of you with this. When in doubt, send me one and I will quilt it.

Melanie says:

Gosh I thought I was the only one with so many quilts started, but not finished. I’m in quite the pickle myself!

If I were to pick one it would either be Perfectly Perched in Plum (Gorgeous) or Timberrrr (So cute).

My advice would be to pick the smallest or easiest one to finish and start there. Don’t forget to have fun!

Ramona says:

Girl! You do some beautiful work. I love the improve solids! and the ruby strings and the liberty patchwork and …. :-)

tisha says:

I vote for Bella or Breakout because I see them clean straight lines. Quilting seems easiest on them.

Camilla says:

They’re all so beautiful, and the photos are a work of art too! Maybe you shouldn’t let yourself take a photo/make a photoshoot journey until it’s a finish(ed whole quilt)! But we’d be pestering you so much by then you’d have to!

Flaun says:

I vote for Bella, Bella! Finish that beauty up and send it to my house. I promise to love it and pet it and hold it and call it George.

debby says:

wow! I think you have more than me. I kind of agree with Chelsea, who says every top has to be quilted? I don’t even like some of the tops I have finished anymore. Yours are beautiful, just pick the one you like the most to start.

Stephanie says:

I’m dying to see the Liberty Patchwork finished. That one just calls to me.

Lisa C says:

I want to say, “Shame on you!” but you’ve already done that to yourself! I love the Cubicles quilt so I would probably want to start with that one. However, I agree with the commenter who suggested you start with the smallest. A sense of accomplishment will go a long way in spurring you on to do #2. Also treat or withhold something until you finish one. If you have a favorite type of coffee/tea – tell yourself you can’t have that until you finish at least 1/2 of one or a full one. Besides, if you finish it looks like you could cover a pretty sizable Christmas gift list!

Donna says:

If all those lovely quilt tops were mine to finish, I’d make a list first and then start with either the smallest or the one that spoke loudest to me. And I would use my Sharpie pen to satisfyingly cross off each one as I finished. That being said, if it starts to feel like a drag, start a new project! I once “made” myself finish 10 UFO’s in 5 months and it burned me out for a while. Put “have fun” at the top of the list!

Sandy says:

I vote for cubicles because it is different. Love them all!

Susan says:

How about Swoon.

Kem says:

start with the one quilt top you love the best.. or designate one (quilt top) for the one (person) you love the best :-) and then you may find the motivation to finish it… esp if its in time for a birthday or special occasion. I’m intrigued by the low volume #2 palette, and would love to see the quilt top.. cheers!

Stephanie says:

Hehehe, it made my day to see someone with more unquilted tops than I’ve got. (My “UFO” pile, on the other hand…)

Choose whichever one bugs you the most in its unfinished state, regardless of size. That will give you the biggest feeling of satisfaction to finish, then surf that wave of satisfaction on to the next.

Sara Hill says:

How bout start with Your least favorite (you don’t have to tell anyone which one it is). When you get it out of the way, others look less daunting maybe? I like smallest first too. I also like the idea of selling just the top if you could bear to. The question always is, how does one keep ones designing mind off making a new top when there are so many new things to be made and the quilting takes so long!!

Cradke says:

I love Swoon and Liberty Patchwork. Pick one that you love – once you finish, it might help you keep moving on finishing (because you love it so much). Don’t start with the oldest – it could kill your drive.

Merel says:

I totally love the typewriters! That would be a great start. It is not too big. And they have a great typewriter fabric from Michael Miller with small typewriters and letters. That would be totally awesome on the back :-)
    (you can see it here: http://www.birdblocks.com/ned01/winkel/stoffen/01%20Michael%20Miller.htm )

Thank you for blogging such inspiration! I always look forward to a new post :-)
    Greetings from Merel in the Netherlands

In this order I’d love to see 1. Perfectly Solids 2. Swoon and 3. Perched Plum quilted I am in LOVE with these 3!!!!

Pétra says:

Wow if it were me I would do something like smallest to biggest or start with the oldest and move forward. They’re all so nice I can’t wait to see them finished. What will you do with them?

Nancy says:

Since you are so prolific, why don’t you think about donating some to charities, and let the charity finish them? Lots of charities have quilters who work with them. I have a Quilts For Cancer group on Flickr, and each month we all send a block to one member, who makes it into a quilt for the charity of her choice. It is a good way to quilt and yet still get to do something good for someone else. Unless you are selling these for a living, then ignore my suggestion, please!
    Nancy

Emma says:

I love the fabrics you’ve chosen for low volume #2. That would be my vote just because I want to see what you’re doing with those fabrics. They’re all wonderful. I don’t think you can go wrong with anything you choose.

Jill says:

Greetings from the middle of the ocean, Bermuda!
    Are you going to sell them? Maybe you could post a few as WIP and then respond to the order in which they are snapped up?

Zusjeb says:

Wow, you could just send any of them to me as a gift and i wouldn’t mind finishing one for you at all! I’m a working quilting mom and i have rules on shoes (if i by one pair, i have to get rid of 2 pairs) and about quilts. I can work on max 2 simoultanouasly, i can’t start another before i finish one of them. Maybe a rule like that can help you avoid this luxury position for the future, but i sure love them all!

Stacey says:

Wow! They’re all so beautiful!

I have to ask…the quilting bee image…is that a big design wall? I need to do something on the large wall in my sewing space and I would love a design wall…just curious how you made it(if it is indeed a design wall).

And I would finish from oldest to newest…

Maeve says:

Wow! What gorgeous quilt tops! I say start with the solids, the first one at the top, then the other solid – they are so colorful! And my second recommendation is to finish all of them and then write a book with photos and instructions for all of them so we can buy it!

Ohh all very lovely quilts, you are quite amazing. Quilting Bee quilt has such beautiful colours so clever together. Simply Solids cant wait to see what you do with that as it makes me smile. I can imagine that Bella and Break out would be a lot of fun to quilt and the quilting would make them even more amazing. Good luck. Great post. Thanks.

mathea says:

I can’t wait to see how you will quilt Cubicles – please, pretty please, do that one first!

Lindsay F says:

I vote Improv solids. I can not wait to see how it turns out.

Michelle in NH says:

Fabulous quilt tops! Now for some backs. If I had this many unfinished quilts (& I wish I did–it means you’re prolific & moving forward!), I would finish them in a type of chronological order: Newest then oldest working towards the “middle”. Your selection of project is absolutely beautiful; good luck.

Jeana says:

oh Wow – seeing all of those in one post definitely makes me understand how the task can seem daunting (but beautiful – wow are these just so beautiful!). I agree with list-making — I LOVE to cross things off lists, it makes me feel like I’m really making progress! I also like to build in “rewards” — maybe each time you finish one you get to order take-out or watch a movie you’ve been wanting to see or even do some patchwork! :) I use ordering fabric as a reward for myself and I find it VERY motivating!

CitricSugar says:

Wow! It’s not unusual for me to start a top without already thinking about the back. I usually set things aside at the basting or quilting stages so I’ve never really had just a quilt top hanging around… But then, I don’t make as many as you either. :-)

Love the cubicles quilt so I can’t wait to see it finished… Good luck – they’re all beautiful!

Melanie C says:

Beautiful quilt tops! I can’t wait to see them quilted :)

Terri says:

I am a longarm quilter and would love to quilt one of your quilts. Send one my way and we’ll see what we can do together.

Pam says:

Ashley–I love your blog and your quilts. Do you prewash your fabrics or batting, and what batting do you use most often?
    pam

• 103
      ashley says:

Hi Pam,

I don’t prewash anything (no time!). I use Warm & Natural or Warm & White, and lately I’ve also been using Quilters Dream batting in their lowest loft – Request? Select? (one of those!)

Ivete says:

Oh wow, that really is a lot of quilt tops! I can’t wait to see Cubicles done personally, so I vote for that one to be up next!

I’ve been thinking of hosting a “clear out your backlog of tops” blog event, and this post makes me think that there might be some interest in the idea . . . ha!

This post made me smile. First because I enjoy looking at all those beautiful quilttops. Second because I can feel your pain because I share the problem with you. In my case it is that I love to design and piece but quilting …bleh…

Auntie Pami says:

I know how you feel. I have a large amount that just need to be quilted.

2sew4fun says:

Oh my….and I thought only my stash was bad. I was planning a spreadsheet to organize all my needs for finishing. Maybe getting them out and acknowledging them would help, keep us posted on your progress…please.

Taccolina says:

Well, whatever you decide will be right. But already, you’ve inspired me to finish a few of my own wips (just dashed out to get borders for a seven-year wip, so we’re all the same!) I find I fall in and out of love with whichever quilt I’m quilting, so working on two at once helps. Or three, or at the moment… two being hand quilted, two on the wall and three tops with borders and backings being pieced, whoops!! Love them all and they inspire me to move on through to new ideas. Solids especially!

Lydia says:

Omg I am very green right now! I was just thinking how torn I was with modern and vintage fabrics, then I found this post and I’m so inspired by the differences in your quilts…err well quilt tops. Back to your dilemma… I guess starting anywhere is better than not starting at all. I’d be happy to take one off your hands, finish and enjoy it for you! :p

107. Pingback: FITF: Ruby Strings quilt | Film in the Fridge

108. Pingback: FITF: swirling swans | Film in the Fridge

109. Pingback: FITF: cubicles quilt | Film in the Fridge

110. Pingback: FITF: quilting ideas with Angela Walters! (+giveaway) | Film in the Fridge

jody deschenes says:

omg, what a fabulous closet! i can’t wait to see the Grad Rainbow done, but i adore Cubicles and agree that it is REVERSIBLE – perfect on both sides! all wonderful pieces AND photos, you are a talented & prolific girl!

112. Pingback: FITF: taking stock, once again | Film in the Fridge