perfectly perched in plum

Did you know Laurie Wisbrun has yet another fabulous line coming out soon? You might remember some of these prints from a little while back – Laurie was offering them through her Etsy shop, and I bought a FQ stack to make a gray and yellow quilt for Max’s room (I hate to admit that they never quite made it into a quilt, though I do admire them in a lovely little stack on my fabric shelves!) I did make up a fun pillow for the rocker in his room though, and I was so pleased to hear that Robert Kaufman decided to pick up this line. It’s called Perfectly Perched and it will be available in July in these three great colorways.

Can you pick a favorite? I still can’t, but decided to go with the raspberry and lime prints for my first quilt out of this line. I added in a few additional prints – that great circle print from Laurie’s Modern Whimsy line (and as an aside, many of Laurie’s circles go quite well with this new line… I’m just saying!), a bit of flea market fancy, a little floral from Children at Play, and the Running Stitch print from Patty Young’s latest line.

The quilt design came about from me playing around with a little paper piecing and some leftover paper squares from the last string quilt I made. I didn’t use a pattern, but you can find a similar design in Gwen Marston’s Liberated Quiltmaking II. (Rita also made a beautiful (and much more precise!) version here, and references a different pattern.)

You could be more precise and have everything all line up neatly, but I decided to cut my pieces freehand and let them be wonky. I like the look and I think it pairs well with the mismatched patchwork plum background. I’m particularly fond of this patchy background, and was happy to find these plum solids in my stash. I’m not certain of all the colors, though I know there’s some Kona Cerise along with a couple solids from Michael Miller’s new Cotton Couture line (still need to get that color card!)

And now, the dilemma… backing? I can’t decide. Plum, lime green, some other color? Rather than think about it, I’ve set it aside for a while, but I’d really like to get it quilted, so if you have a suggestion, I’m all ears!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to perfectly perched in plum

Dawn says:

Lime green – definitely!

Deb konopka says:

Very striking!

Anya says:

Lime green for the backing and for the quilting thread! And maybe for the binding as well!

MelodyJ says:

I think I’d go for the lime although a pink might be cute. Either would be pretty cool with a plum stripe or that plum with the green chairs for a binding. Love the quilt – the colors are fabulous.

Ramona says:

I would back with one of the green and white prints with maybe a block strip of plum and the lime green fabrica.
    Beautiful job.

Fran says:

What about a double sided quilt, with more of those lovely fabrics on the back?

I love this quilt top – I would use lime green for sure!! Beautiful!

Jo says:

definitely the lime green for the back.

EG says:

I confess that this shade of purple isn’t my personal favorite, but I LOVE the idea of the not-quite-matching solids! And I love Laurie’s fabrics!

Christine E. says:

I’d do wide strips of lime green and plum.

randi says:

This is very pretty, Ashley! I vote for green on the back. :)

Annie says:

It’s a fun design using some really fun fabrics. I’m undecided for suggesting the backing but while I looked at it thinking about it, the greens never came to mind as a choice. I guess I’m your odd ball today. It’s a busy design so I would lean to a complimentary backing rather than one that would fight for attention.

Elisabeth says:

how about Marcia Derst fabric in the yellow and white stripe.

Farah says:

I would go with lime green. Love the top.

Marieke says:

Even though it’s not present in any of the fabrics on the top, somehow a darker purple/eggplant color strikes me as working for the back too. Maybe using the lime and plum-pink colors in conjunction.

Natalie says:

You must back it in the lime green! Gorgeous!

I just love Laurie’s designs–she is one of my all-time favorite fabric designers. Can’t wait until this line hits the stores. This color combination is great! For some reason, I really like the above suggestion of the yellow and white stripe.

THis quilt has some serious razzle dazzle! Love it!!

Jennifer says:

Looks great! I love the variations in the plum solids…and I’m another dissenter, I suppose, because I would stick with plums and/or deep pinks for the back, if only to give the punches of green on the front more…punch! It’s going to be a great quilt :)

Suzanne says:

Raspberry and lime- one of my favourite color combos. I love the different shades of raspberry in this quilt and the slightly wonky blocks. I think I would go with a pale to mid pink for the backing, something like the FMF seeds maybe with a splash of lime.

Katy says:

Ooh, very nice! I think it could go pretty well with her Tufted Tweets too

Nola says:

Way cool quilt top. I’m amazed at how many cool quilts you produce. It seems just one great one after another….wow!

Such a fun quilt Ashley! I think one of the green circle prints would look awesome on the back!

LIME!
    ditto to all that… : )

~Monika
    still waiting for the grass to turn green!

Lindsey says:

You’re so creative, the stuff you come up with is awesome. I’d love to see lime green on the back, that would look so bright and contrasty!

Donna says:

Love your eye-poppin’ quilt! For the backing, I can imagine light gray and plum with some shots of lime green. Whatever you come up with, I know it’ll look fantastic!

Tamie says:

Love this one too. How striking.

Joey Hirano says:

Don’t know why since I don’t see it in any of your swatches, but I think lemon or even gold would be lovely. With a strip of a few fussy cut Perches and pinks!

Hazle says:

Oh, *wow*! That was first thing I said when your post opened. The contrasts here are so striking. I really love it!

For backing… I hesitate to suggest Kona zucchini, an acid yellow/green, with some prints/plains from the front, of course. Maybe Kona turquoise, or peacock for a surprise element when you flip the quilt? Whatever you do, it will be Epic.
    (Also, love your location shots–bluebells! J’adore!
    Hazle

Franziska says:

I like the pattern. You always amaze me how you don’t use precise pattern pieces and it always looks great. I’ll have to give that a try, too.
    I’d love to see a big lime green background for the backing with a little plum surprise that you do so well, too.

Steph says:

Lime green! (but I really love lime green) :)

Kim Uhrich says:

I think Navy would be a perfect backing. I also like the little blue flowers with the grass in the photo if you could find a floral fabric to match.

Marianne says:

How about a funky white and black print for the backing! Love the quilt top!

Rachel says:

I love the colors you have chosen for this and it’s a fun pattern. Thanks for sharing this great new line.

Cheers!
    Rachel

I am with the lime green people, think that would look awesome with it.

amorette says:

i happen to have a color card dor the couture cottons that i am not going to use…want to trade it for some scraps or fabric? i am not able to buy any, but need some solids and neutrals! just sayin’…

Loving those mixed up plum solids. Nice!

Tonya Albers says:

I totally agree with Anya – lime green backing, quilt thread & binding! Gorgeous quilt! :)

Nancy Dunn says:

I ordered the last of Laurie’s fabrics from her Etsy shop, the yellow and grey colors, and made one of my two favorite quilts ever, here:
    I also made two pillows. This line is funky and fun – I think I am going to do the green next.
    Nancy