summers(ville) in the Greek Isles

I was lucky enough to receive a fabulous stack of Lucie Summers’ upcoming line, Summersville, for Moda (which will be available this month!). This is one that I’ve been eagerly anticipating, so it was a thrill to see it in person. And let me tell you, it does not disappoint!

Lucie was so kind to send along a number of the prints from her new line, and I think they are fabulous. Look at the crosshatch, the alphabet print, the brush stroke, oh my! Moda translated Lucie’s screen printed designs beautifully. It’s a little departure from other commercially produced fabrics, and I love it (and I know you will too!). I didn’t waste any time cutting into my stack, and in fact, started not one, but two quilts with these prints (I really just couldn’t resist!)

But before I tell you about the inspiration for this one, how about a little behind the scenes for you? Hows about our conversation last night, prior to me writing this post…

“I think I’m going to post the blue quilt tomorrow.”
“The one you finished today?”
“Yes, I have the perfect title for it – ‘Summers(ville) in the Greek Isles’. Awesome, right?”
“I don’t really get it.”
“Why?”
“I’m not a fabric dork.”

Ah, well… there you have it. Fabric dork.

But anyway, back to the quilt! I came across this quilt by Gail Baar recently. I love the simplicity, the use of just one color and white, and the way the look can differ depending on how the quilt is put together. I had several of Lucie’s prints in blue so I decided to try something similar using blue prints and solids paired with Kona Snow and a little bit of Essex Linen in yellow.

I used every single scrap of Lucie’s blue prints. I even dug through the trash to make sure I hadn’t thrown out something useable. I did manage to scrounge up enough fabrics for this baby sized quilt, and I’m so thrilled with how it turned out! It has a beachy, sea glass kind of look, and though I’ve never been, totally reminds me of photos I’ve seen of the beautiful buildings of Greece. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if I could take this one to Greece to photograph it there? One can dream, right?!

This entry was posted in baby, Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to summers(ville) in the Greek Isles

Laura says:

I love your quilt! That Summerville is gorgeous and you made it into a great little quilt! I am patiently waiting to get my hands on some!

Katy says:

Lol, I get it! Oh wait, I’m a fabric dork too, oh well… Looking forward to getting my hands on these :)

michele says:

From a fellow fabric dork, I really love the pops of yellow.

Beth says:

I love that quilt – turquoise and white always say “summer” to me. Gorgeous.

Margaret says:

Great quilt, love the blue and white….from one fabric dork to another, hahaha

Beautiful! The yellow bits make the quilt :)

Flying Blind says:

Oh I need to get sewing with mine now!

randi says:

This is a lovely quilt top, Ashley!

Nurseli says:

Fabric dorks unite! Lol lovely quilt!

anna says:

so pretty, and those little splashes of yellow really make it interesting. can’t wait to get some summersville!

Kar says:

Lovely shades of blue! Absolutely looks like the colors you would see along the shore line in Greece.

Kelli says:

I absolutely love it and the name too! ;)

shirley tener says:

I would be PROUD !!

Rachel says:

It’s great to see a print in use, I saw this line somewhere else and liked it but could pass on it. now that i see it in your lovely quilt I fear i must have it!! Great job on your quilt, it will be much loved by someone. :)

Rachel
    http;//www.scrapendipitydesigns.com

Jessica says:

Beautiful quilt! I love the alphabet fabrics and I hope to get some when they’re available.
    I’d love to take a picture of the quilt for you while I’m here in Greece, but the suburban Athens backdrop may not be the picturesque “greek isles” you were hoping for, sorry!
    Maybe in two months when we go to Paros? Too bad the mail is slow and unreliable. Next year we should just agree to meet up there instead, ok?

CitricSugar says:

I actually had to read that conversation out loud to someone. Too funny!

Carla says:

Simply gorgeous!!

Love it. Well done

Jenny says:

I really love this, and I think it was so inspired to add the bits of yellow.

texheks says:

Love that quilttop! The yellow makes it come alive! I need me some of that fabric…

Yay for being fabric dorks :) I love the quilt and the name! Maybe you could write a trip to Greece off as a business expense since you need to photograph the finished quilt there?

Pippa says:

Yay for fabric dorks! And love this quilt– the blues and whites are so lovely.

such a fresh color scheme! I’m not usually a fan of blue, but these shades I can handle. especially with the pops of yellow. great title. can’t wait to see it quilted!

Lori Smanski says:

love your blue quilt. LOL i like being a fabric dork. my 28 year old son is now one. only he is a civil war re-enactor and now sews and sells mens clothes for that era (confederate)so he is totally a civil war fabric dork. now he is looking into making a civil war quilt and selling it. i made him one and he has others askng for one. we are out there, woohoo

Lauren JH says:

As always, I love your new quilt!

Shayla Sharp says:

All those blues…I feel faint…this is lovely–wouldn’t want me to store it for you for awhile, say 10, 20, maybe 30 years? LOL

Kellie says:

Totally stunning!

Lovely, lovely, lovely. Although Greece would be stunning, I think the photos you did capture do it justice. Thanks for sharing!

I must be a fabric dork too, it makes perfect sense and fits the quilt so well. Love the fabrics!

Carla says:

Sounds like a field trip to me. Gotta have the setting for the title right? Love the blues and the simplicity of the quilt. Very nice. thanks for sharing.

Lish Dorset says:

Simply smashing! I love it. Can’t wait to get my hands on some of this new line.

33. Pingback: FITF: dreaming of greece | Film in the Fridge