Circa 52 stripes quilt

I made up this quilt a while back using a great bundle of Circa 52 by Monaluna for Birch Fabrics. I think the prints are adorable, particularly the cute forest prints, and I knew they’d make a really cute baby quilt. I added in a number of other fabrics that paired well with these prints, cut them into strips of a few widths, chopped them up a bit and then sewed them all back together.

I thought I’d try to take a photo of the finished quilt in the living room, but it turns out that babies, like cats, seem to be drawn to anything laying in the middle of the floor. As soon as I spread this quilt out to snap a photo, Max immediately crawled right across it and sat in the middle. No problem! A few of you recently requested an updated Max photo, so here you are – Max, on a newly finished quilt!

I wish you could see this one in person, because the colors are really lovely and soothing. Unfortunately it’s nearly impossible to photograph and get the colors right. These indoor shots with Max seem to be the most accurate.

When considering the quilting, I was oh so very tempted to go with straight lines (I know them, I love them, I know just how they’ll turn out…), but I’ve been trying to push myself into trying new quilting designs, so I put it off for a long time, but then again took some inspiration from Angela Walters and went with this free motion clamshell/scallop quilting through each stripe. And I’m happy to say that I’m glad I tried something new, even though I definitely would benefit from some more practice!

The backing is a large piece of Echo, with a bit of Sherbet Pips, and it’s all bound in a Moda cross weave in Flamingo (did you hear the cross weaves are being discontinued? Tammy still has a few if you want to stock up!) I’d show you the back, but man, the photos leave lots to be desired!

Anyway, it’s soft and crinkly and I love it. Now I just wish it were a tad bit bigger!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and a happy Easter. Max turns 1 (yikes!) on Easter, so there shall be a bit of celebrating, and of course cake!

Circa 52 Organic is available at many shops, including Fabricworm, Fat Quarter Shop, The Quilted Castle, Whipstitch and Sew Fresh Fabrics.

This entry was posted in baby, Fabric, Posts about Quilts, [search] Strip Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Circa 52 stripes quilt

randi says:

this is a very cute quilt, ashley! and i think that your little guy keeps getting cuter each day. every time i pop over here to see what you have been up to, he is here smiling and being adorable! :)

Suzanne says:

Congrats on stitching out of your comfort zone. The quilting adds so much as does the wash. And of course, Max, he’s just the icing on the cake.

Vickie says:

Happy Birthday Max!!:)

carla says:

Well happy birthday Max. Your mommy makes the most awesome quilts. Happy Easter.

Linda says:

Cute quilt. I like that Circa 52 fabric. It looks very comfy. And thanks for more of Max! He just gets more adorable every time I see him. Thanks for indulging me and the others who have baby hunger. I can’t believe it’s been a year already. Have a wonderful party. Give him a hug for me!

xo Linda

elsa says:

Happy 1st Birthday Max! have a BIG bite of cake!

Tanis says:

Beautiful quilt, I love the scalloped quilting, it kind of reminds me of eggs in cups! Perfect for this time of year. Max is adorable. Happy birthday to him!

Heidi says:

Such a lovely quilt…the colors are beautiful! Happy Birthday to Max!!

Kar says:

Thanks for the picture of Max. He just gets cuter by the day. And a very Happy 1st Birthday to him! The quilt is gorgeous with all those colors and the quilting is just as nice. Have a wonderful b-day with Max! :)

svetlana says:

what a fun quilt, I absolutely adore your quilting, fantastic idea. And, Max looks just soooo adorable! Happy Easter, and Birthday!

Really cute, both the quilt and Max! :) I love the quilting, I’m going to have to try that one sometime soon! I also stay in the straight line quilting box a little too much!

Alli says:

Good on you for trying a different quilting pattern! Your quilt is lovely. And Max is adoooooorable!! :)

Jenny says:

He is ADORABLE, and the quilt is lovely.

Rebecca Warby says:

A lovely quilt and a very cute baby. :-)

Lana says:

Happy Easter Birthday Max!! You did the quilt justice and so did your mama!

Lori Smanski says:

Max is adorable. happy birthday Max. Have a blessed and fun weekend

Liz Horton says:

Max has such a sweet sweet face! Gorgeous quilt too!

Mary ann says:

Lovely! I just am so taken by all the sweet fabrics and that adorable little face!

I knew there was a reason I liked Max, he shares the same birthday as my handsome son, Evan, who will be 32 on Easter this year!
    Your quilt is beautiful and I like the clam shell quilting

Samantha says:

Why are they discontinuing the Cross Weaves? I just discovered them, and I love them! sigh.

Meg says:

That’s a lovely quilt, made all the nicer with Max in the middle! Impossibly, he gets cuter every time you post a photo! And a year?! Happy Birthday!!

amandajean says:

that quilting is perfect for the quilt. how fun!

happy belated birthday to Max. how on earth can he be ONE already??? hope you had fun celebrating!

I just tried scallop quilting on the border of my newest quilt – I agree, it takes a lot of practice! Mine has a few that look more like mountains ;) Great quilt! I got a cuddly bundle of these prints in a Fabricworm scrap pack last night, can’t wait to make them into a quilt.

Michelle says:

So lovely! Thank you for the inspiration!