in progress…

I’ve been working on this little puzzle for a while now. I’ve only¬† made one quilt completely of solids and it’s been a goal of mine to make another. And then I saw Lucie Summer’s gorgeous quilt out of all solids, and it was all I could think about. Plus, my stash of scrap solids was really getting out of control, so it was time!

Originally, I started out with this fun Echino print, and thought that I’d make a mostly solids quilt, with a bit of this great print. I chose my solid colors based on this print, but then ultimately decided they weren’t really playing well together.

So instead I just started combining all these fun solids into sections and taping them to the wall. Every time Morgan walked into the room this weekend he found me staring at the wall contemplating positioning of these blocks. They’ve been rearranged quite a bit, but I think I finally have a layout I like.

And I even played around with a few gentle curves, inspired by the fabulous work by Dan at Piece and Press, and by Rachel’s lovely Oodalolly quilt.

I’ve been having so much fun playing with these solids, and working on a quilt which is a bit out of my comfort zone. Can’t wait to get back to putting this puzzle together tonight! (oh, and bonus? I’ve really made a big dent in using up a lot of those solid scraps!)

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilt Blocks and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to in progress…

You blocks look fantastic, and the inspiration quilt you linked to made my jaw drop! I am also a big fan of Dan’s :)

elsa says:

it’s wonderful ~ all the chaos of color works so well!

It’s beautiful, Ashley! I especially like the darker value solids you’ve added here and there. They add great definition. Thanks for linking to Oodalolly!

John says:

Hmmm … this looks a LOT like something I may or may not have been working on last night, which may or may not be for a virtual quilting bee that you and I may or may not be in together! Hmmmm, indeed … : )

carla says:

This looks fabulous and I love the gentle curves. I am working with scraps too : ) Have a great week.

nicke says:

get out! LOVE this ashley! LOVE IT!

Erica says:

Amazing! I adore this quilt! Very beautiful!

Patty says:

There seems to be a lot of playing with solid scraps all over the net. You piece is coming along great – I love all the color! I am working on a solid/scrappy piece myself. The scraps are left over from a wedding quilt I made my nephew last year from some vintage French linen I bought on ebay. I dyed some of the linen and kept all the scraps – I paid a lot for the fabric and I didn’t want to throw any of it away! I will keep checking in to see the progress of your piece.

Kathy Schwager says:

Love what you are doing with these solids! Have you seen Jean Wells’ book Intuitive Color and Design? I took a 3 day class from her in Sisters, Oregon last fall and learned so much! She has some great techniques for gently curved piecing.

Nancy says:

Looks very like Gwen Marston. I went to her retreat the year she did solids and I have been hooked every since. I love working with solids. You are doing a great job. I love your little skinny striped pieces.

Emily L says:

It looks great. I love the color combos.

CitricSugar says:

Very cool. I love the freedom that improv gives something. Love the “gentle curves”.

Renate says:

Beautiful, Ashley! Reminds me of the Gees Bend Quilts!

Krista says:

Wow! You are my hero. I’m not brave enough yet to tackle a quilt like this. You are awesome!

lauradodson says:

fully awesome.

Dalya says:

I am in love with those solid blocks. It really reminds me of Denyse Schmidt’s quilting style. This is my kind of style because I often have small scraps that are oddly shape but still beautiful. Really love this!

felicity says:

Oh I love where this is going!

Marianne says:

I love those curves! It adds so much interest to the mostly straight lines. Maybe you should have the final edge be curved too.

Sophia says:

Ashley, I cannot wait to see this finished!! It’s will be so lovely!!! :-)

It looks so good! Have fun!
    Anna

Sandy says:

I love what you are doing. Our Modern Quilt Guild got together this past weekend for an improv sewathon. We all did a couple blocks, all solids, put one in the grab pile and added to what someone else started. It was way too much fun and we took home some amazing, wild, colorful, improv blocks to start a quilt with. This is my favorite way to quilt, start sewing without knowing where it’s going to lead me. Can’t wait to see where this leads you. Thanks for sharing.

Kate Erbach says:

This is SPECTACULAR! So Gee’s Bend-like.

Tamar says:

I love this! All of your efforts staring at the wall were not in vain. I love the (seemingly) random bits of colors everywhere. I’ve been wanting to make a quilt like this and have started sewing together my scraps, but then we started moving and I don’t know where anything is anymore. This post almost motivates me to unpack boxes so I can find them :)

Lisa Johnson says:

I really like your colors, they are going together awesomely. So inspired. Don’t you love it when a plan comes together. I do too!

amandajean says:

it looks AMAZING! keep on going!

Lori S says:

You did a great job!!! You should be proud!

I love seeing this piece in process. good work!

29. Pingback: Visiting | daintytime ~ Sherri Lynn Wood

30. Pingback: Brianna Marshall » Either hello spring or hello frenzy of constant activity. You pick.