and a little more patchwork…

So, how about a fun patchwork quilt for this Thursday?

(As an aside, is it weird that I sometimes feel like I have to apologize when I show yet another quilt made up of patchwork squares?)

Regardless, patchwork quilts still remain a favorite – and these days (with a very busy, nearly-walking, nearly 1 year old) sometimes I just need a nice easy project that I don’t have to think too much about!

This one is made up of my favorite prints from Lotta Jansdotter’s Echo line, along with a variety of Kona and Essex solids.

Wouldn’t you know that I decided to go out to take photos of this quilt on one of the coldest days of this winter? Morgan and Max were not thrilled about the outing, and spent most of it like this, watching me from the warmth of the car as I wrestled around with this quilt.

The backing is pieced with some more Echo and I quilted it with vertical lines on each side of the vertical seams. Then for a little extra fun I decided to attempt to quilt a bit of Lotta’s design into the quilt, trying to quilt that bumpy design along the vertical seams. Once again, it’s subtle, but maybe you can see a bit of it in the photo above? It would have worked better if the backing had been a solid…

I’m quite taken with it, and love being able to see all these gorgeous Lotta Jansdotter prints all in one place!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Charm Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to and a little more patchwork…

Gill says:

I love your quilt!
    What a coincidence!! I’m just piecing a quilt of squares of Echo and Kona solids! but I haven’t been able to find such a wide variety of Echo here in the UK as you!!

Suzanne says:

No need to apologize for patchwork. You are perfecting your art!

randi says:

i love it. sometimes a quilt that shows off the lovely fabric is the way to go!

the pic of your guys in the car is cute. and kinda funny! :)

Mindy Carlson says:

No apologies! Every time you post a patchwork quilt it makes me want to run right out and buy the fabric you used. I bought Echino-Nico and Peacock Lane because of you, and that’s just since January (I’m THAT new to quilting.) Your patchwork quilts somehow bring out the best in prints. I’ve liked the Lotta Jansdotter prints for a while, but now I LOVE them and see that they would look amazing in my house.

Jennifer says:

You always seem to produce what my head has been thinking about. I”m so in love with that fabric!!

Meghan says:

i do love the echo line! i finally ordered some for myself yesterday- i think you have inspired me with your patchwork quilt showcasing it so beautifully!

Never apologize for doing what you love! And, thanks for sharing the photo of the guys in the car. I love that even Max is staring towards you!

di says:

I really love basic patchwork! That cute little boy peeking at you is precious!

Katy says:

No need for apologies here, I love that line! This looks great :o)

Kar says:

I for one can never get enough of patchwork quilts. They are my absolute favorite! Yours are great! The picture of Morgan and Max cracks me up because that is exactly what my crew would be doing. :) That’s to say if I were even able to get them out on a really cold day just to take pics of a quilt.

Jan says:

I love it. I have a FQ bundle of Echo, and haven’t figured out what to do with it. This may be my answer. You’re fabulous.

Claire says:

It’s absolutely lovely. Squares are my favourite; it’s amazing how many times I see a beautiful quilt and it is just simple squares. Thank you for sharing.

Mary says:

I have some Lotta waiting for me. Now I am inspired.

Jen says:

Squares are often the best way to showcase a fabric, in my opinion. I love this line. Not quite sure what I’m going to do with my layer cake yet, but I enjoy the eye candy! The boys crack me up. They’re so good to go with you, even if they do stay in the car. :)

I never tire of your patchwork quilts! This one is gorgeous as usual!

Martie says:

I love patchwork quilts and I’m a huge fan of that particular line of fabrics…so this is a real treat!

Anna says:

I love your quilts but I ADORE your photos – thank you for putting so much effort into the setting and styling and creating such beautiful images! That first photo especially is just wonderful.

Christine says:

I love how you combine fabrics! This is beautiful. What are the dimensions? I really like the size.

natski says:

I love your quilt and I love your 2nd and 3rd photos, they make the quilt look so warm and snuggly :)

Kati R. says:

I love this quilt and I like the fact that it has no border on it. The black binding frames it really nicely.

Tracy says:

Don’t apologize for your quilts. Each scrap quilt has it’s own personality. Adorable, great energy.

Farahlin says:

I LOVE all of your patchwork quilts and this one using Lotta Jansdotter’s Echo line is absolutely gorgeous! You have inspired me to make one as i have not done any square patchwork quilt only admiring those who have. Thanks for sharing! Max looks so adorable as usual….

My favorite fabric line this last year and you made it look fantastic.

Maria says:

I’m just like you …apologise for sewing quilts made of squares but it’s better than not sewing them at all because we’re waiting till we have time to make a more intricately pieced one :-) Those fabrics are gorgeous!

Betty says:

Your background for your quilt is just so perfect. It is evident you love the picture settings as much as you love your lovely quilts.

Anne says:

Hi, Wondering how recent the pictures are. Looks like there’s no snow … quite a change from last year.

Marianne says:

I love the pic of the boys in the car. LOL

Acorn says:

Now I know what I’m going do do with my Echo stash! The picture of your guys patiently waiting is priceless! I feel like cutting into them right now but chores first… Would you be willing to share what those solids are? I am having some trouble finding the “perfect” shade of pink/lavender solid.

Acorn says:

Hey, Ashley,
    Oops, that comment reads funny. I mean “cutting into my stash”!

Pam C says:

No apologies needed-your quilt is perfect! Sometime the best quilts to show off a great fabric are the more simple ones. I like to make simpler quilts in between more complex ones. I like the break and the enjoyment of the process.

I love this quilt – sometimes the most simple projects are the most pleasing. Loved your quilty photo shoot too!

Sandy K says:

I love patchwork…it shows off the fabric designs so well! Looks great.

LeAnn says:

I’ve been coveting Lotta Jansdatter fabrics — love her Echo line.

Your quilt is fantastic!

Ann Ferguson says:

Your quilts in the snow…supurb!

Never too much patchwork! I am a patchwork fanatic. I just finished a quilt top in record time – just one afternoon – as it was patchwork. Before I put on the walking foot to start quilting, I decided since that one was so quick and easy and my two-and-a-half-year-old son was saying, “Mama sew more!” (music to my ears), that I would just sew another quilt top. I had a charm pack ready to go so…patchwork it was! Love this one, your work is so beautiful.

Don’t appologize, I like quilts made of patchwork squares best… Just starting one with Backyard Baby of Patty Sloninge myself :o)))

Ranch Wife says:

It doesn’t get much better than patchwork! There is just something very welcoming and cuddly and inviting about patchwork quilts and yours is perfection. Love the photo of the boys in the car. Just adds another wonderful component to your quiltinf story.

sewkatiedid says:

I love switching back and forth between something with simple squares and then challenge my brain and skills with some improv. and come on, who doesn’t love a charm quilt with beautiful fabrics?

Sara Hill says:

patchwork frequently beats busy stuff, and yours are always lovely, which is why you are always on my popup for my safari login with about eight other blogs. don’t apologize. That you quilt with a toddler is amazing anyway. Love your quilts. less is more, etc.

Rebecca says:

i love patchworks, and yours are always such a nice balance of colors, as well as prints and solids. plus i appreciate the reminder that simple is sometimes best!

Cynthia says:

Your placement of the blocks reveals your eye for design. I’m new to quilting (a glass artist) and landed on your blog while searching string quilts. This patchwork is a beauty!