brrr! mini quilt

Thanks to Laurie Wisbrun and the kind folks at Robert Kaufman, I’ve had a chance to play around with Laurie’s upcoming new line, Brrr!, which will be available in June. It’s a great mix of prints in two colorways, each featuring these wonderfully adorable polar bears.

I started making up these blocks for a larger quilt, but ended up changing my mind on the background color, so I turned these blocks into this cute mini quilt instead.

I’m particularly happy with the quilting on this one – circles! Inspired of course by all the circles surrounding those cute polar bears.

I have this one hanging above my ironing board currently, and it’s been fun to have a little wintery mini quilt to admire while I iron!

You may find a tutorial for creating the quilt block that makes up this quilt here.
This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Square-in-Square Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to brrr! mini quilt

Marian says:

I love this! The block is really cool! I’d love to know how to make it!

Diane says:

Really Cute. Does your creativity ever end? :)

Fran says:

Loving those polar bears, especially while we have several inches of snow and an enormous snowman outside…

Michelle P says:

So cool-love it!

Nancy Lee says:

Nice!! I just finished a quilt top with her fabrics that are now unavailable. :( It is over on my blog!
    Nancy

katie says:

What cute prints! I’m envisioning making myself a little tree skirt from these fabrics for next Christmas.

jamie says:

I have been making mini quilts lately for friends with babes as “Carseat Quilts”! I have found about 25″x 25″ to be a great size to tuck in around a little one when in tow. Bigger sizes get too bulky to tuck, or you have to do odd folds. So fun, and so fun to give as crazy-quick gifts! Mine are not artistic as yours, though…. But your designs are such an inspiration!! :-)

Kar says:

The fabrics are wonderful with all their iciness with red thrown in. Love the design you used on it.

Kathleen says:

I love it! We just redid my daughter’s room in a kind of turquoise blue and red and I have been itching to make her a new quilt for her bed. You are killing me with your great aqua/red quilts lately!

I love this one Ashley! It might have to become the inspiration for my do. Good Stitches quilt next month :) I love the way you framed your blocks in prints on two sides to make the cross in the middle. Brilliant!

Claire Jain says:

Super cute quilt! And your circle quilting is really awesome.

What you’ve done with the negative space is very cool, Ashley. I especially like the pieced printed fabric strips clustering together.

Alli says:

Wowee! I love the way you made log cabins look completely different and super cool! :)

Nicole says:

Love those fabrics! I can’t wait until the collection comes out. They are just too cute. Nice mini!

Its soooo cute Ashley. Love the corners! As always, your creativity amazes me!!

Beth says:

seriously adorable! i will be trying to recreate it soon ;)
    Smiles~Beth

Kersten says:

I love it!! Can we see the back…please!? :)

Katy says:

How fab, love how you’ve used these prints! That cross effect in the centre and the corners are great

Paige says:

I’m loving these fabrics and your design is wonderful! Great job!

annaliar@juno.com says:

That is so wonderful! The pattern, the quilting, the colors! Everything!

I can’t believe you are not pleased with this – there is something really pleasing about the blocks and balance of this piece.

Kate says:

LOVE this quilt Ash! One of my favorites for sure!

Melissa says:

It’s really great! I love how it’s symmetrical, but still improvisational. Featuring the Brrr! fabric, but not in a “I used every stitch” kind of way. I love it! :)

Karyn says:

What a great little quilt. Great colours and cool design.

Jacqui says:

I love how the quilting totally alters the first impression of the quilt – the blue part looks rounded and soft compared to the straight lines around it. And then on second glance you see it’s all squares as well! Simple and yet incredibly effective – love!

Ashleigh says:

I love the way you just throw these projects together so effortlessly! Can we get a tutorial for those blocks? Did you free motion those circles? They look so neat.

Marietta says:

I generally love every one of your quilts, but this one is just the most amazing thing I’ve seen. The negative space makes it so fresh and new! If you ever make up a rough pattern for this type of block I would be all over it in a heartbeat.

Susan McAdams says:

Laurie belongs to my quilt guild and she just gave away some fat quarters of this line at our meeting. I did not win but I got a chance to admire the fabric. It is really cute. I like the way you used it in your quilt.

33. Pingback: FITF: patchwork love letters | Film in the Fridge

Xandi says:

Oh, wow! I love the suggestion of squares and all the blue making up the rest.

35. Pingback: FITF: converging corners quilt top | Film in the Fridge

Helen says:

I love the effect of leaving most of the log cabin blue and accenting the corners with the patterns, the blue really makes the fabrics and design pop! Makes me re-think using white as a background colour.