Ruby Strings – a PDF chart

I hope no one’s been waiting too long for this! Thanks to Morgan, I (finally!) created a downloadable PDF for you which shows the chart I used to create my Ruby Strings quilt (or ‘Ruby’s All Strung Out’, as I’ve been referring to it lately…memorable, but maybe not the best blog title!)

Download: Ruby Strings Chart

For this quilt, I used 11″ square blocks – 6 blocks by 7 blocks, which results in a quilt that measures about 63.5″ x 74″– a generous throw. I used Bonnie and Camille’s lovely Ruby fabrics, and by my estimates, you’ll need about 40 fat eighths (I had a 40 FQ bundle, and have about half left over). I’d guess that you’d also need around 4 yards of solid white (or your solid of choice).

These blocks use the same technique as described in my String Block tutorial, so I’m not going to recreate that here for you. Just check over here for the instructions for creating string blocks.

Each block starts with a 1″ strip of white (or your solid of choice) running diagonally through the block. Then you can refer to the PDF chart for the width of the print and solid for each block. (Please note that you will always start with a printed fabric on either side of the diagonal 1″ white strip). Continue adding prints and solids of the called for width until you’ve covered one side of the block.

Unlike the scrappy version of the string quilt, the goal with this quilt design is to get the strips to line up. This can be kind of a challenge, especially with those really narrow strips! Tips? Make sure your 1″ white strip is centered diagonally through the block, be sure to maintain the same seam allowance throughout, and be sure to iron (or finger press) each strip well (and consistently!). That being said, I wouldn’t worry too much if things are a bit off – there are many strings in my quilt which aren’t perfectly aligned, but I don’t think anyone would notice!

I hope you’ll find this chart helpful! I found it useful to cross off each block on the chart as I made them, so I’d know which blocks I still needed to make. If you make a similar quilt, be sure to add it to my Flickr group – I’d love to see it! And as always, feel free to ask any questions here. I’ll answer in the comments!

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts, Quilt Blocks, Tutorials and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Ruby Strings – a PDF chart

Maggie says:

Thanks so much for this–I’ve been looking forward to this! Now I will be putting my wonderful scraps from you to good use!! Thanks again!

Anna Hanks says:

I love this that is a great pattern. I only bought a layer cake of Ruby fabrics Whish I had more. I might trey to make this but smaller. I love the color combination

nellie says:

While I’m a bit dizzy from looking at the blocks and lines from various viewpoints, it was a good tutorial . I really like the baby pluses.
    nellie

Faith says:

Very cool! I love your chart too, helps keep it organized.

Marianne says:

I have a Mac and the PDF is not readable for some weird reason. Oh well, great quilt!

Xandi says:

Thank you so much for this! I love, love this quilt.

Terri says:

yay! Thanku!!!!!!!!!

i love your red string quilt thank you

Nicole says:

Also on a Mac and can’t read the PDF. Would love to see the chart for this cute quilt.

Lizzy G says:

Thank you so much for the chart! I’ve wanted to try something like this but been so intimidated :)

sarah says:

where do you buy paper that is 11 inches square? thank you for sharing your beautiful work. slp

Marianne and Nicole, I have a Mac and it opened up just fine. I open mine in Preview–then ‘print’ the PDF to Evernote.

Ashley–sorry! I forgot to tell you thanks! and I have been following your blog for a while and just love your quilts. And precious Max, of course!

Fran says:

I am just finishing a string quilt made from your original tutorial….love your blog and web page! Thanks for this graph…..I am thinking .75 of an inch is really small to work with….

Your quilts are wonderful!

carolin says:

love this cheery quilt…thank you for sharing :)

Maggi says:

Love the quilt. Confused by the pdf. Quilt looks like whole blocks set straight. PDF looks like 1/2 blocks sewn together then set straight. Please explain :0)

Donna says:

A friend of mine and I started our versions of this yesterday. I’m using the 100 or so blues in my stash with a white-on-white print for the solid. My friends is a fun mix of bright Christmas prints – can’t wait to see them finished. LOVE your pdf of instructions on how to make all of the strips match up – the other version is a bit too busy for me….great tutorial.

19. Pingback: Free Sewing Patterns: Quilting | married to a bmw

Liz Bigger says:

I love this pattern! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Gigi Voegeli says:

Question?

On the pdf chart– is that the width you cut the strips, i.e. you don’t add seam allowance, right?

Stunning quilt and thanks for the tutorial. Can’t wait to make it. Thinking of using Denyse Schmidt’s Florence line.

22. Pingback: Cannot… stop… quilting…