cubicles quilt

How about a few more typewriters? I finished up another quilt top featuring this wonderfully fun Melody Miller print – this time using the red typewriters on the aqua background.

I drew up this little quilt design as soon as I saw Melody Miller’s typewriter fabric. I don’t often draw out quilts ahead of time, since my drawing skills leave much to be desired, but on occasion I do plan out my quilts, and sometimes even name them ahead of time!

I actually had these solids piled together and just waiting for a quilt – I love the way they look together and was quite pleased to see how well they went with this particular print. I used Kona Raisin, Coral, Snow, Dusty Blue, and a Quilters Linen in gray, plus Moda Bella Turquoise.

It’s funny how close I managed to come to my original sketch! I might have to consider drawing out a few other quilts ahead of time – I think having the sketch to refer to helped it all come together a bit faster.

Add this one to the pile of quilts that need backings!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to cubicles quilt

Cameron H says:

Wow, what a wonderful quilt! All those dashes makes me think of Morse Code, as well as the clicking of typewriters. Love this!

Michele says:

I love that! Those darling typewriters deserve to be showcased.

Debbie says:

oh I really like this! Just plain fun! Love the colors together too! I have some ‘Raisin’ in my stash & just have never known what to use it on….I like it though!!

Allison says:

Nice work! I really like it!

carla says:

You are so clever! Hats off to your quilt “holder” too. He’s a good sport.

Fantastic name for such a fun quilt.

Elizabeth says:

I’m in love…

Linda says:

I love it! Those typewriters really speak to me, but I’m held back by the price. I may have to give in and buy some, though. I usually wait until everyone has stopped carrying it when I decide….sigh. Tell Morgan I love him. In my opinion he’s the best husband in the
    world…8-)

xoxo Linda

Amy says:

Amazing, I have really got to get my hands on some of those typewriters.
    Your quilt is beautiful.

diane says:

What a darling quilt! You are so creative-I have admired your work for quite awhile but haven’t ever commented. I love the typewriters and the colors that you added to it. If I had fabric like that, it would sit in my stash forever because I would have no idea what to do with it. Great job!

Claire Jain says:

Ahahaha! Cubicles!!! I love the name as much as I love those typewriters. Awesome :-D

Kelly K says:

Amazing! The perfect quilt for that fabric imo.

What a great way to feature the typewriters! Love this.

Neat! I like the way you framed and floated the typewriters.

I love the way you made the typewriters intersect the stripes! Great idea! The color scheme is so fun too. Love it!

Patti says:

I love how you sketched it out ahead of time. I really must give that a go! I’m waiting for my typewriters etc to arrive!

Suzanne says:

I should sketch more too. After all, it doesn’t have to look like what we mean it to be; it only has to serve to remind us where where want the design to go. Great job!

Flying Blind says:

I love it – the typewriters are so complete awesome anyway, and you have used them perfectly x

Deb konopka says:

Your simple, well thought out design really showcases the fabric.

This looks amazingly fantastic!! I would love it just as the srtipes of gorgeous colour, but the typewriters just make it giddyingly wonderful! Sorry for so much gushing!

Kirsten says:

Such a brilliant design to feature those typewriters!!

Alli says:

That’s fantastic! I love it so much! You did a wonderful job figuring out how to use those cutecute typewriters. :)

Barb murdock says:

Love, love, love it! Your brain comes up with such fun designs!!!

Cristin says:

so fun! perfect gift for a secretary :-) or, ok, anyone! haha

svetlana says:

Wow, it’s stunning, just like all the quilts you make. I LOVE IT!!!!!

kristina says:

I LOVE this quilt!!!!!!

You always have the best names for your quilts! and of course, the quilts themselves are pretty fab :)

Melissa D says:

So gorgeous! You are so creative. I love this one…. Great job!

Meg says:

I Want, Need, Love this quilt!!!

Therese says:

This is such a brilliant design. The way the type writers are lined up looks a bit like the way letters come out on paper when you write with such type writers. the design and fabric goes together in an absolute brilliant way! Congrats!!

Ashleigh says:

Wow. You have used the typewriters print to perfection. Your quilts are so inspiring.

Ashley,
    When I first looked at this quilt, I thought that was a bunch of Lightning McQueens driving on roads, but then at closer look I discovered it was just some happy typewriters dancing along a path.
    I love it and your colorway. ~Val

Katy says:

Oh that looks fab! Love how it highlights those wee typewriters

M-R says:

Oh wow, that is awesome! Congrats!

eeekkkk…love this quilt and print!

made two backs last week and had to actually draw one out myself to figure out the best way to piece it.

I love everything about this quilt – the colors, the fabric – GREAT JOB! Can’t wait to see it quilted! :)

Really love this! Such a unique quilt top and great colors! Love the photo shoot location too!

Cindy says:

This is amazing!! So fresh and modern- love, love, love the colors! Great job!!:)

Barb says:

Your quilt is so fun and wonderful!

Valerie says:

Ooo I love the design for this one! So graphic and I love the solids. It makes the typewritters really pop.

Terri Harlan says:

Gorgeouse. This quilt is really stellar. Love the color I think you have made me want those typewriters :)

Shelly says:

LOVE this so much! Question, did you applique the typewriters on? I am pretty new to quilting. I would love to give something like this a go! Thank you!

Lady Jane says:

I have to keep coming back, again and again, to look at the pictures of this quilt, I like it sooo much. I cannot think of a more perfect use for those wonderful typewriter prints. Design, colours, spacing, all brilliant. Big well done to you!

Mallory says:

This totally inspired me to order the typewriter fabric. I may have to try something similar. :)

53. Pingback: FITF: cubicles quilt | Film in the Fridge

54. Pingback: FITF: taking stock… | Film in the Fridge

Anne Chevalier says:

I am always so inspired by your website and particularly love the Cubicles Quilt with aqua and coral typewriters. I would love to make it as a wedding gift for my nephew and his fiance. I know you have a sketch of the quilt but I’m not sure of how it was constructed and how much fabric of each colour would be required. Would there be a tutorial for this quilt. Many thanks for all the inspiration and “modern” quilts.

Anne C