love letters

Thank you so much for the nice comments on my January flowers quilt! There were a few questions about the wavy quilting lines – if you want to try something similar, I’m happy to say that it was pretty easy! I used my walking foot and just gently moved the quilt from side to side while sewing. You’ll notice that some of my lines don’t go all the way across the quilt – periodically I’d stop sewing in the middle of a line, put the needle down, turn the quilt and continue sewing back in the other direction. Hope this helps – let me know if there are other questions!

And now, speaking of Melody Miller, and her gorgeous new Ruby Star Shining line… one of the prints I was immediately drawn to is the typewriter print. I love them in all three colorways, and have spent a bit of time pulling out fabrics to pair with them.

The typewriters are wonderful for fussy cutting. If you decide to do so, you can cut them into approximately 6″ squares without losing any surrounding typewriters. You can bet that there will be at least one patchwork square quilt in my future (it would be silly not to, right?!)

I’m not yet sure what these will all become, but it’s been fun pulling out fabrics and making stacks!

Now, which one to start with first?!

This entry was posted in Fabric and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to love letters

Lou says:

I just saw her line yesterday and can’t blame you… It is a wonderful print. I would go for the aqua&red one… it is just so atractive!!!

Veronica says:

Love the typewriter fabric! I also love the blue and yellow circles prints in the third photo. Who makes that fabric?

I got the line last week and think it is the best of the three she released so far.

Tanya says:

Ha! You could even put all of the typewriter prints together, like an Andy Warhol painting :). I think they are all adorable!

OOH! Start with the bottom stack, please!

Annie says:

Ahhhh that is some fabulous fabric here Ashley. Cannot wait to see what you come up with. I soooo need (ok, maybe a strong word. really really want?) that typewritter fabric!!

I am anxiously awaiting my typewriters in the mail this week. Love them! Looking forward to seeing what you do with yours. :)

Claire Jain says:

Ah! This is so much fun. I’m digging that typewriter fabric.

Katy says:

I have some of those typewriters winging their way to me at the moment, can’t wait to get to play with them, lucky you!

Beth says:

Those stacks are just lovely! I hope you find the time to start cutting them up and sewing them back together. Do you know the name of the fabric line the white print with colored circles (blue, green & yellowish) in the 2nd picture is from? Smiles~Beth

Pétra says:

I have to admit I hadn’t jumped on the Ruby Star bandwagon yet but these typewriters got me and I love the fabric stacks how fun!!

Lynne MA says:

Wow, although I love the red on aqua, I really want the aqua typewriter fabric as it looks just like the one that I had in college! I know, dating myself :)

Susan says:

Love the red and teal stack especially!

brenda says:

wow! i thought i really liked the neutral background and fabrics… until i scrolled down further! the blues and red are great!

Karen says:

I’m seriously drooling over how cute those stacks are!! I think my favorite is the aqua and green, although I’m loving the blue and red too!! Have fun with those!

You are a maker of inspiring fabric stacks, that’s for sure!

Danny says:

OMG. I am SO jealous. The only store I know of that had those ran out!! Where did you get the typewriter prints?!

19. Pingback: Charlotte's Creative Predictions for 2012

Valerie says:

I absolutely LOVE those typewriters! I think the red and teal is definately my fav but the green one is a close second. Can wait to see what you come up with!

Oh, the middle one! It’s kind of unexpected and you did a great job pulling fabrics. Lots of soft promise there.

This line by Melody is one of my favorites. Probably because I spend my working life on a keyboard…And Modern Whimsy is so spring-y and cheerful.

Andrea Romyn says:

I’m in love! Red and aqua = heaven. Thanks for the wavy line tips!

25. Pingback: FITF: retro flowers – in progress! | Film in the Fridge