one more shirt…

Can I show you one more? I promise, this is it for a while! As you know, I’ve been a little, um, shall we say obsessed?, with the Tova pattern. I’ve made it several times, and it’s really wonderful, just as it is. But if you know me, you know that I can’t help modifying patterns a bit, and of course, this was no exception.

While perusing through my closet recently I came across an older J. Crew dress with a fun neckline. I realized that the shape of the dress was very similar to the shape of the Tova shirt, so I thought I might be able to duplicate the neckline of the dress in a Tova shirt.

I used this great Lotta Jansdotter print. Since this new neckline has pleats, I thought this type of print would work well. I drafted a new pattern piece for the neckline and used that in place of the placket portion of the Tova shirt.

And I’m pleased to say that it worked out quite well! It’s not perfect, (don’t ask to see the inside of the shirt!) but pretty wearable, I think.

(even good for performing awesome dance moves such as these on the beach… um, yeah…)

This entry was posted in Clothing, Fabric, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to one more shirt…

Annie says:

This is so lovely! And I’m jealous you’re on the beach in the sun…

Beth says:

Looks fantastic!! SMiles~Beth

Katy says:

It looks fab, and I’m jealous you can wear short sleeves at this time of year, while some of us are bundled up in layers of wind and waterproof garments!

Erica says:

I love your modifications. Those pleats are awesome. I have been meaning to get this pattern…and some of those Lotta prints.

Clair says:

Brilliant top! What a great use for J.L’s fabric too.

Shannon says:

You are so talented & creative to be able to design a replacement for the placket on the top. It looks beautiful and very flattering~job well done!

Linda S says:

I like seeing your shirts–after sewing practicaly nothing but Halloween costumes & misc. projects for years, I finally made myself a shirt last weekend (sew liberated’s schoolhouse tunic), inspired partly by you. It was fun! And it looks good! So I’m going to make another. Thanks!

Sheila says:

I adore your fabric choice, and your modifications. It looks great! This pattern is on my wish list. :)

Kim says:

I love it. It’s a beautiful colour and the pleats are a nice touch. I love that you can use a pattern and alter it to make different tops.

Heather says:

beautiful! The details are perfect!

Chris says:

I saw your shirt you made with the Lotta Jansdotter fabric on another site (I think pinterest) and was trying to track the pattern down. I even tried to contact Lotta Jansdotter to see where I could get the pattern. I just found it by accident today on your site. I’m somewhat dissapointed to find it’s your version of another pattern, in which case, I can’t purchase the exact pattern. I wouldn’t know how to make the changes. Anyways love your version!