back to the string quilts!

Oh yes, I felt the urge for another string quilt! They’ve always been a favorite of mine, and I’m loving how this one looks with the lovely Ruby by Bonnie and Camille.

I changed it up a bit this time, altering the widths of the printed and white solid. Of course, this way requires a bit more planning – I even had to make myself a little chart so I’d know which block to make next!

I have several more blocks to make in order to turn this one into a nice large throw. I think it’ll be quite the perfect quilt for the holiday season – just Christmas-y enough, but not so much that it wouldn’t be perfect for the rest of the year too.

You can find my basic string block tutorial here.
I could maybe be convinced to write up some instructions for this modified version if there's enough interest! (Though Max is keeping me pretty busy these days, so it might take a little while!)

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts, Quilt Blocks and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

66 Responses to back to the string quilts!

ohhh! this is just stunningly gorgeous! i love the color combination– and the white just makes it look so fresh.

Megan says:

What a cool idea! It’s going to be awesome when you put together all the blocks!!

Suzanne says:

I think you’re spot on with its Christmas but not exclusively Christmas feel. It’s pretty!

pbach1 says:

i second that “oooooohhhh!” perfect, as always! would love to see your pattern/chart, if you’d ever be willing to share . . .

I love this! Ruby is just wonderful! Also, your blocks are lined up sooo perfectly. You are one patient lady.

carla says:

It’s very pretty. Lovely work.

What a great idea and I love how it is looking – the different widths of the strips makes it so interesting. I, too, would love to see your charts!

Wendy says:

Beautiful string quilt.

If I can ever find a good virtual quilting bee to join, this is the kind of quilt I’d like to make for my month…(I can’t seem to find a good modern quilting bee with an opening right now, my hunt continues) However I have never made a string quilt. I just really like how they turn out. Yours looks so beautiful and it shows that you put a lot of thought into the layout. Really pretty!!

• 14
      Amanda says:

Habibti – I’m having the same problem! I’ve only just started a blog and still ‘finding’ the online quilting
      community. Might be a little cheeky of me to say, but we should start one!

Those blocks are absolutely stunning though. Did you use scraps exclusively? Or did you buy new with the
      intention of doing this? It’s great because you really get the impact of the print without using lots of it.
      That means there’s more lovely prints to use on other projects.

Mary says:

This does not look like a string quilt. I love the variety of widths with the uniformity of each block. Lots of thinkin involved. It is a beauty.

Carol says:

One of the prettiest string quilts I’ve ever seen! Bravo to you for the various widths of white! I’d drive myself crazy figuring out the next block.

amy says:

love it…an inspiration!

Karen says:

Love, love, love, this design!! Gorgeous!

Mary Knight says:

Hi, I love it too! Did you put the thin white “string” in the center of each block to get started? It looks like that, I think, and reminds me when you did it with lime green. Thanks for sharing. Mary

Colleen says:

I absolutely LOVE your quilt! I have been wanting to make one for so long due to the fact that I find them so beautiful! Is there a pattern for one or do you just make it up as you go along?! Beautiful!

Lindsay says:

This is absolutely gorgeous!! I can’t wait to see the finished quilt. I’d love to see a tutorial for this modified version if you find the time.

I love your version of the string quilt and how the strings line up perfectly. You’re right about Ruby being Christmassy and still being attractive, I’m not really into the traditional “red & green” combo.

dxx

Ann says:

Ooohh… A tutorial would be great if only so we can see how you kept track of it all. Can’ t wait to see the finished product.

tusen says:

it’s lovely. Great idea with various widths of the white strips.

Debbie says:

Love this!! A tutorial would be awesome!

Laura says:

Absolutely gorgeous! I am hoping you have time for instructions after the holidays.

Katy says:

How cool, love those strings

Anna Hanks says:

I LOVE this. do you know the names of the fabric you used? I am hoping to buy some with the aqua blues, red, and the lime green. Just haven’t seen any. Anna

terriaw says:

Fun project! Seems like a perfect arrangement for these fabrics. I love how Christmasy it looks, but not too Christmasy. Very lovely and elegant.

CitricSugar says:

Oh, how pretty… I really enjoy the look of the varied widths. It seems so fresh!

PT in SC says:

Max is getting verrrry sleeeepy…may during nap time, you could find the time for a tutorial, after the holidays, of course. Best string quilt I’ve ever seen. Nice job.

monique says:

It’s beautiful! This is the first string quilt that I REALLY want to make. I love the different widths. It would be wonderful if you could pull together a rough tutorial… when have time (although with that gorgeous baby of yours it might not be until Max leaves for college – I’ll wait)

Sarah Louise says:

Gorgeous! I’d love to see a modified tutorial for this version!!!

I LOOOOOOOVE this! Thank you so much for such a great idea! I have tons of ruby strips that I won on Camille’s blog and this is just the perfect project! LoVe.

I’ve not seen a string quilt with so much white. Love it! Also love the distinct variation in width combinations and the effect it produces. Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

blue_yellow says:

How beautiful this is!! Would love love LOVE a tutorial for this one. I just followed yesterday your tutorial for how to piece a strip block, and made a little hot pad for a friend :-) You know its nice to work on small things before committing to something big!

Kathleen15 says:

Very pretty fabric selection and you have a lot of stitchin’ goin on.

Kelly says:

Love the look! Thanks to you, I am also a bit addicted to string quilts. Seems I always start a new one, when I shouldn’t! They are so easy and use up scraps so nicely. Can’t even imagine how you get ANY time to sew with Max. When I had young ones I barely had time to take care of them!

LeAnn says:

Beautiful! You are so precise in your piecing.

Arita says:

I love the colour combination.

Kelli says:

Absolutely love it. You have some real talent and patience, Ashley!

svetlana says:

wow, that looks soooo fabulous! Can’t wait to see the whole quilt.

Mona says:

Absolutely gorgeous! I feel strippy fever building in me too. It tooks months and several quilts for me to get over it the last time!

Allison says:

LOVE your string quilts. Have used your string quilt tutorial to make hotpads. Two years ago I used your napkin tutorial to make a set of napkins for a girlfriend for Christmas. Last year I used scraps from the same fabric to make her hotpads like yours. This year I am using your tutorial to make some Christmas hotpad gifts as well. Thank you for such inspiration! The hotpads are a great, small project for a beginner quilter. Someday I’ll be brave enough to do a whole quilt.

susan says:

This is one of my favorite quilts that you have made. I may need to do a “take off” of your idea and make it my own. You rock!

Wow, that must have been some slow stringing! Looks great though, and I’m sure it will make a fab winter quilt.

Carolyn says:

Wow, these look amazing! Love the colors.

Karen Moore says:

Um, my votes is YES for a tutorial. In between snuggling and playing with Max, of course :)

Jenna says:

What a beautiful quilt so far!! I can’t wait to see the end result. I love seeing what you do – especially when you make up your own templates! I would love to attempt a string quilt (one day), and if you ever decide to share your brilliant charts, I would be thrilled! Way to go :)

Xandi says:

A pattern for this would be wonderful. It looks amazing.

Deb C. says:

Must feel great to make something so girly now. I just think it’s fabulous. I would love to see a new tutorial when you find the time.

Marion says:

It’s beautiful! An inspiration.

Julianna says:

Oh please write instructions for the new one since it is calling my name! I love the irregular chunks of white.

Kami says:

I was looking for new quilt pattern ideas to teach my two girls to sew and this quilt is simply stunning. I love the colors, the variation in the strings, everything. I will be checking in to see if you ever decide to post the instructions. It might be too complex for my girls, but just so much fun for me!

Agnes says:

Love this version
    Love all your string quilts
    A tutorial would be great

Fran says:

So beautiful. There are never too many string quilts. No matter how many I complete, I still have buckets of scraps still to be used. Have you considered a spider web string quilt? It is a fun variation and uses up some very small strips. Actually, it uses strips I used to toss. Who knew?

Mary Knight says:

Yes, Yes, Yes, I have interest in a tutorial. I would love it!

Lauren JH says:

Would love to have you write directions for this pattern as you have the time. I love all your quilts and an always excited when I see you have posted. Many thanks for taking the time and having the generosity to share your talent with us!!

Karen P says:

Beautiful! I love the modification and the gorgeous colors! Would love a tutorial!!

Karin says:

OMG I am in LOVE LOVE LOVE! A string quilt AND done in Ruby?!!! ::swoons:: I adore your modification too – I would LOVE to see a tute!

Cynthia says:

What a FANTASTIC take on the string quilt pattern….LOVE your interpretation!

Yes, yes, yes….(& a couple of PLEASEs, too :) )…if it’s not too much to ask, I’m chiming in on requesting a tutorial for your quilt.

Melanie says:

Love the string quilt…modified directions would be great!!!!

Dawn W says:

LOVE that quilt & would truly love a modified version of that tutorial!

Tiffany says:

Love this!! The fabric, the pattern, all of it! I would love some instructions if you’re up to it!