drawstring bags!

Just a quick little project, but oh so satisfying!!

I used Jeni’s wonderful tutorial for these lined drawstring bags. The first was so quick and easy to put together that I decided I certainly needed two. I’m using them to keep my new knitting projects contained. I haven’t started either project yet, but one will be for a winter hat for Max, and the other will be a honey cowl for myself.

I can’t really call myself a knitter, but I do get the urge every winter. This year I think I’m going to make it my goal to make something more than just a straight scarf! And to that end, a couple of us have started a little Flickr group, Purl and Patchwork, for those who love sewing and knitting. Hopefully it will provide the inspiration (and help!) I need to make my goal a reality! We’d love to have you join if you’re so inclined…

Anyway, even though I have yet to actually start any knitting, I’m feeling quite ready with my cute little drawstring knitting bags!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Household Goods and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to drawstring bags!

Cassie says:

That is so funny because I seriously just yesterday did the same thing! So now I have one for my knitting project (leg warmers) and another for my little ones blocks (the melissa and doug wooden alphabet blocks fit perfectly!)

Katy says:

Those are really cute wee bags, love the fabric you chose. I’m also laughing because I was just reading about Megan at Canoe Ridge Creations making a couple of those cowls

Jeane says:

I get the same knitting urges even though I don’t always carry through. I have one started, a scarf and I think I should have a bag for it. Thanks for the cute idea.

The blue fabric you used one the one bag is terrific! cute projects.

I just made the honey cowl!!!!! I really like the look of it! I bound off, and was all ready to wear it when I realized I had dropped a stitch on the bind off row. So, it has been sitting for a week or so until I muster the motivation to go back and undo all the bind off stitches. I really like the bags you made for knitting! Can’t wait to see what you knit.

char says:

This is so funny. Just last evening I was looking on Esty at drawstring bags to use for my crocheting and decided to make my own. Thanks for sharing!

Suzanne says:

If you knit, you can call yourself a knitter. :-) But hold onto those bags tightly because they will be the envy of any other knitters within arms reach.

Kar says:

I would be feeling cute also. Those bags are awesome! :)

Jeni says:

Oh my, yours turned out so unbelievably cute! Now I feel like I need to make another! So glad you enjoyed making them :)

Lindsey says:

I always get the urge to knit in the winter as well! … although I tend to stick to straight scarves. The Honey Cowl looks like a great way to get away from that – I might have to try it!

Norine says:

This is so funny; I’m making a honey cowl too!

Kate says:

They are lovely – think I need to make some to hold the socks and shawl knitting.

Nicole says:

So cute. I have seen a similar bag made narrower and taller and used for wins bottles. They make great Christmas gifts and wrapping for the bottle all at the same time. Don’t forget Christmas is just around the corner.

Janey says:

That type of bag is my go to bag for gifts and of course to carry my smaller knitting projects around. I always have a pair of socks going in one that stays in my purse or car. I have three kids to pick up at different schools so there’s some down time and with the knitting in one of those bags I’m always sure to have something to do. I also make these bags all the time for gifts I recently just made 14 of them for my oldest daughters volleyball team out of cute volleyball fabric so it is such a versatile pattern. I’ve also used them for wine bottles like someone else mentioned.. Also if you knit anything you’re considered a knitter. Check out Ravelry if you haven’t already you will be “hooked”;)I can’t wait to see Max’s hat and your cowl when your finished.

Jeannette says:

Hilarious! That sounds like procrastination at its finest! :)

Jenni says:

Beautiful! I just made one a few days ago to hold a friend’s wedding gift and seeing your great pictures makes me realize I forgot to photograph it. Dang!

Jennifer says:

I love this idea. I might make one tonight for my Honey Cowl yarn. I am half way through the project and love it. thanks for the idea!

Kritta22 says:

I think I need one or ten of those bags!

Nancy Dunn says:

Hi,
    You have inspired me to new fabrics and styles, rather than the traditional quilts my mentor is teaching me. I even started a new chapter of the Modern Quilt Guild in my area:
    Thank you for your generosity with your creative spirit!
    Nancy Dunn

Teri Stevens says:

I cannot get the tutorial to come up on the little drawstring bags on how to make them.
    HELP

Amanda Jean says:

I so need to make some knitting bags like this. Thanks for the great idea! I get a stronger urge to knit this time of year, too. I love how portable it is!

belinda says:

OH OH Yes, I LOVE drawstring ‘thingies’!! They are just too darn cute, so versatile and fun!!!

Sally Kent says:

Inspired! I’d forgotten about this old classic bag, my mum used to sew us new ones each year out of a dress we’d outgrown to put our PE kit in! I bought a football fabric remanant and now know what to make- a PE footie kit bag for my 7 year old son !
    Thank you !