but what to make??

Do any of you have fabrics in your stash that you love, but that you just can’t seem to put to use? This is one such stack for me. I fell in love with these gorgeous Yoshiko Jinzenji fabrics a couple years ago. I bought a couple pieces online and then came across someone selling them at a quilt show, way back in 2009 (it took me a while to find this post!)

I’ve spent lots of time admiring each piece and even more time flipping through Yoshiko Jinzenji’s latest inspiring book, Quilting Line + Color (oh, and if anyone know where I can get a copy of her Simple Quilt book, please do let me know! I’ve been dying to add it to my collection!) But each time I end up putting these fabrics back in their storage bin because I never feel like I can come up with the best way to use them.

So what do you think? What would you make with these fabrics?

Oh, and if you're looking to add similar fabrics to your stash, Yoshiko Jinzenji has a new line available now. Kim at True Up posted about this new line during Spring Quilt Market here.

I've seen a few prints online at Marmalade Fabrics, and if you know of other shops carrying them, do leave a note in the comments! I'd love to add a few of these new prints to my stash! (you know, so I could spend some more time admiring them and wondering what to make!)

Also available at Purl Soho. (I might have just ordered a couple more prints!)
This entry was posted in Fabric and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to but what to make??

Ranch Wife says:

You’re preaching to the choir Girl! It’s frustrating. There are so many inspirational ideas and patterns out there and that mey be part of the problem for me…I can’t seem to make a decision. Your fabrics are lovely, but I’m no help. Just visited with another blog friend who’s in the same boat so I’m pretty certain we’re not the only ones either! I’m beginning to think that if we love the fabrics, anything we make will be fabulous. Not much help. Sorry.

alexis says:

I was thinking of making a whole-cloth quilt with the new collection. Purl Soho has a few of the prints.

Alissa says:

Sewmodernonline.com has three of ‘em too. And I’m right there with you – still figuring out what I’m gonna do with them!!! A bag maybe? I’m leaning towards a whole cloth quilt though…

Deb konopka says:

What about aprons or placemats. Would look great in a modern kitchen.

Kathy says:

Since the pieces are predominarely white, I would pair each with one of its dominate bright colors. I would use those units as the basis for whatever project (quilt, pillow, tablerunner, etc.) that you want to make. I think this would really highlight the small, but bright patterns in the fabrics.

I would mix them with bright fun solids to show off their designs!

Kelly Irene says:

I have several pieces and one collection that I also LOVE but can’t use–not because I’m scared to cut into them but because the perfect project just hasn’t been found! I like the idea of picking a few solids and using larger pieces of the prints with small bits of solids for a quilt.

Asta says:

I would use this plain with complimenting bits and bobs here and there with applique. Perhaps a child’s quilt with appliqued balloons.

Hmm… that happens to me all of the time. I am a hoarder!

I think that they just won’t do in a quilt. The patterns are wayyyy to big.

I could envision a big big stuffed teddy on a rocking chair in your son’s room in one (or multiple) of those prints.

Maybe a patchwork kitchen tablecloth? Not sure what your scheme is in your kitchen, but that could be nice.

I love her quilt work with all that white space, but it doesn’t work for me in a piece of fabric. I wouldn’t know what to do, either! Cutting it up small and using solids with them seems to defeat the purpose of her open designs, so maybe the suggestions for a whole cloth are the way to go? I could see them stretched over large frames as wall art, but you’d need a pretty big wall for display. Curtains?

Lianne says:

A ribbon quilt? Strips of this mixed with bright ribbons and white areas.

Penny G says:

I would use them as the inside of a square in square. I love that look.

Katy says:

I’ve got 20 FQs of them that I bought in a turning twenty kit probably around the same time as you bought yours and I’ve not been able to touch them other than pet them since. I saw her quilts at a show a couple of years back and they were so amazing, the way she only used those fabrics but made ‘regular’ blocks with them and the way the patterns were hidden in so much of the quilts. Totally rocked my world.

kate says:

i would make a really simple square quilt…large squares with maybe a few cooridnating solids thrown in.

have fun…they look beautiful x

Annie says:

I’d have to ponder on that for awhile and would have to see them spread out to really get an idea how the design is layed out, but they are really interesting looking pieces. Even folded up I can see why you were drawn to them.

Martha says:

I,I, too vote for a whole cloth quilt. Or as a quilt back. Or as a table runner and napkin set, with an apron thrown in for good measure. :)

karen says:

They are just stunning fabrics – I would love to have some in my stash. I think they would work beautifully as single items like aprons, tea towels and also a single piece as a quilt…with perhaps coordintaing solids for a backing. Less is so much more with this design and definitely doesn’t need much else to make it shine.

Krystal says:

Hmmm, I’m thinking a large quilt. What do you think about large (12 or 18 inch square) blocks of each print. Keep them uncut and large to show off the fabrics. Then a scrappy, pieced sashing and binding?
    Or grab inspiration from a past lattice work quilt you posted this year, the one with a charcoal fabric and brighter lattice work. Thinking you’ll want to wrap yourself up in these prints! Good luck and have fun with whatever you decide.

Zarina says:

I had a few of them but none that is part of a line. The most recent I used it as the backing of two quilts. Pieced them with different fabric and it actually looks neat.

Clover says:

they look like kids pillow cases to me!

Debbie says:

I bought her fabrics too ~ I just don’t know what to do either. I thought of a whole quilt too, but I also like the idea of the 5 inch blocks. I need help too!!!

rbjaneite says:

I think they’d make lovely fabric baskets (the cylindrical kind with a turn-down top edge) paired with bright solids.

Rossie says:

I am prettysure that Simple Quilts is the exact same book as Quilting Line and Color. I asked the publisher and they didn’t reply, but i have simple quilts in french and all the images i have seen from QL&C are in SQ.

Tanyafinken says:

I could see you making a quilt with a few large panels of this in one solid color backgound, off centered, different sizes, some rectangular, some square, some strips, and then use another print for the backing. And then quilt the heck out of it!

kathleen says:

Just when I thought I was safe (from fabric “musthaves”) I read your blog and you opened new possibilities. I was totally in the dark about Yoshiko Jinzenji and her fabrics. Thank you so much for introducing me to her fabrics and even providing the links for me to purchase (which I did) her fabrics. I don’t have the fabric yet, but YP (your problem) is now MP (my problem). Thank you for taking me in this direction.

I read your blog regularly, and enjoy it so much. Thank you for the time you take to make your blog happen. I am very appreciative.

Karendibee says:

I love the idea of pairing these with bright coordination solids… you could do a quilt, and I love the idea of pillow cases, maybe with the bright colors for the hem… I like the crazy pieced sashing idea to separate blocks of the fabric. Can’t wait to see what you do with them.

Linda S says:

Would they work in one of these lap duvets? http://www.purlbee.com/lap-duvet/
    They seem so cozy.

Evonne says:

Hi Ashley, I recently opened an etsy shop stocking many of these hard to find Yoshiko Jinzenji fabrics. Please check out my shop. http://www.etsy.com/shop/fabricismyfriend I’m a fan too, and I managed to get a few yards of some of her prints.