a new wall hanging?

I’m so happy with how this little quilt turned out! As I mentioned previously, most of these fabrics are the wonderful designs of Shannon Lamden, of Aunty Cookie fame.

She put together this lovely color palette, and it’s truly gorgeous! I wanted her fabrics to stand out, so I did some dense straight line quilting in each of the solid white sections.

I love the way the straight line quilting looks!

I’m thinking about hanging this one as a little wall hanging, so I kept the backing simple, with a nice aqua solid and just one little block to echo the front design.

Now I just have to find a good wall in need of a quilt!

(I’ve never hung a quilt! For those of you who have, do you recommend washing it, or keeping it as is?)

_ _ _

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to a new wall hanging?

nicke cutler says:

i have a couple walls that would be perfect for! ;) i usually leave them as is… no washing if it’s going on the wall…

Kelli says:

LOVE it!!! I love how the dense quilting really does make the focus fabrics pop! Great job, as always.

Aditi says:

Very nice job on this one! I like to wash the wall hangings and block them like I would with knits – shape them so they are perfectly square and let them dry. Sometimes this means just hanging them up using the hanging sleeves (I put one across the top and one across the bottom so a weighted rod can be put in the bottom one and let it hang more evenly). I’ve found that my quilts hang much straighter and neater when blocked this way.

Kelly Irene says:

Gorgeous! The colors really are stunning, and the quilting is perfect. I have never hung a quilt either, so I’m no help there!

Brooke says:

I truly love it!

One word of caution….I have quilts hanging and they DO FADE with the sun, even when they are not in direct contact. This doesn’t bother me a bit, as I love to have mine on the wall where they can be enjoyed, but I’ll throw that out in case it impacts where you hang it.

If it were me, I wouldn’t wash. I like the crispness of it for a hanging. SOOOO pretty, this one is! :-)

It’s lovely! The straight line quilting does look perfect! I never wash my wall quilts. I think they look more like art on the wall if they are in a ‘fresh’ state. I love crinkly quilts for cuddling, but that’s a different look altogether.

Suzanne says:

Wash or not, it’s adorable. I love that fussy cut on the back. Gotta go look at that fabric.

Jeannette says:

Just beautiful. I really like the straight line/right angle quilting.

Sorry, no help with the hanging as I’m really rotten and just stick thumbtacks in mine… though, none of mine are very big at all. :)

Dani says:

I like wall quilts much better unwashed – I think the light coming down from over top of the quilt makes the quilting stand out better when it is not crinkly.

I love the colours in this one!

brenda says:

amazing how much you get done and with that cute little thing to keep you busy!

Kate says:

Love what you have done with the Aunty Cookie fabrics!

charlotte says:

I don’t usually wash my wall hanging quilts. I us small binder clips along the upper edge and then push pins to attach the binder clips to the wall. I hate making hanging sleeves and trying to find a dowel rod long enough to work. I have never used them, but they do sell special wooden quilt hangers. They function much the same as my cheap binder clips. Either way, enjoy looking at your quilt once you hang it up.

Lisa says:

I really love that color combination… it’s fresh and soothing.

Carli says:

nice job, can I send you some of my organic cotton to play with?

carol says:

I wouldn’t wash it – the quilt seems to hang better if left as is. It is beautiful and I believe will look lovely as a wallhanging!

Ulli says:

I love that quilt so much, it`s wonderful!!!(fabric, colors, quilting,the little flea market stripe, everything)I think it will look great hanging on a wall.For myself, I didn`t wash my hanging quilts,
    and though some of them are hanging for years, colors didn`t fade.

Jackie says:

I think it is BEAUTIFUL!!! And for wall hanging I recommend washing simply because you will want to wash it periodically for dust anyways. :o)

Elisabeth says:

I really love this piece!!! It has inspired one of the 8 graduation quilts I am making this year!!

Roni says:

I have just the wall for that quilt. wink.