scrappy zig zag

How about a little peek at what’s currently up on the design wall?

I fell in love with this wonky zig zag quilt after first seeing it at ting tong and things, and thought that it might be a fun project to use up some of my scraps (which are currently a bit out of hand!!)

They’re overflowing out of their enamel bowls and pots, so it was time to do something. I started by sewing them together in strip sections and then finally decided that this quilt design might be a perfect project for them. Now I’m just waiting for some more Kona white to finish up the top…

(so, while this seemed like it used up lots of scraps, it doesn’t look like it’s made a difference… any other good suggestions for scrappy quilts?)

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to scrappy zig zag

Megan says:

I love this idea Ashley! I bet it’s going to be a big hit. And I highly recommend Maple Leaf Rag from Material Obsession 2, totally a long term project though. Although halfway through, it still hasn’t made such a dent in my scrap bins. I really do think they breed at night;)

• 2
      Susan Collesidis says:

I want to make the Maple Leaf Rag from Material Obsession 2..however, there are Two Material Obsession 2 books….can anyone tell me which book the pattern is in? The Two or the 2 ?!:)

Debbie says:

Very fun. Funny how someone else’s scraps always look more interesting than my own! ;-/

Christina says:

I used Oh, Fransson’s Mixed Tape quilt pattern to make a scrappy quilt. The instructions are very clear on how to use scraps and it worked beautifully and used up a nice amount of my scraps.

Jan says:

I love this quilt; what a great idea!

Kelly says:

this scrappy zig zag is looking so fresh! I made a tutorial for a scrappy quilt not to long ago. You can find it here: Blue Bird Sews Scrappy Quilt Top Tutorial
    It’s called Shrinking Squares, and you’ll see why…but it’s also shrinking scraps! (ps. hope the link works, I’m a little new to code!)

Natalie says:

Wow, there is something about the combination of the scraps and the zigzags that I just love about this! It looks awesome, and makes me want to pull out my scraps and get to my sewing machine ASAP. I love the creative ways you use scraps!

Lana says:

I would love to see you do a scrappy GIANT Hexie flower quilt…you know, just randomly placed falling down the quilt… perhaps the flowers could be five inches across…you could paper piece them across each hexie…that would eat up some of your scrappies….

Kristin says:

This is awesome. I am going to have to try it. I also have tons of scraps. :)

Sara Homeyer says:

Use up scraps by making “lasagna” quilts.
    Choose a width for the center of your quilt, then begin creating strips that are that length. If you choose a width slightly less than a common WOF, say 40″, then some strips can just be cut from one fabric, others can be pieced of several or many smaller pieces. Some strips can include orphan blocks. Sometimes piece on the diagonal.
    Each strip can vary in width, some 4″, some 2.5″, occasional 1.0″, whatever works with what you’ve got!
    Keep making strips and sewing together until you get to the length you want for your quilt center, say 60″.

So now you have a 40 x 60 center, and you can quilt it. Simply using your domestic machine to sew a wavy line down the middle of the strips works just fine.

Stop and bind.
    Or, continue by adding a border or two to make it larger. Add borders by the quilt-as-you-go method: add front and back borders at same time (no batting), then zig-zag a batting strip to the resulting edge, just butting it together. Now press front and back border fabric over batting and quilt.

These can be multi=colored quilts, or choose only a couple of colors, or monochromatic. Infinitely variable!

Krystal says:

How abouta postage stamp quilt? The one I’m working on now has a roughly 48″ x 60″ postage stamp center, surrounded by a wide 18″ solid border. I’m loving it, but I’m also known for my affinity for little things.

niki says:

I love, love, love your quilts. You are so “free” with your designs. However, I do have one complaint. Please show photos of Max with each of your posts. He’s a keeper and I think that most of your readers have fallen in love with him. More Max!

Kim says:

Now that’s just too cool! And so pretty!

Rebecca says:

You constantly come up with new ways to innovate! I love the scrappy zigzag; I’ve never seen it done like that before. I’m also trying to bust some scraps….I keep making improv pentagonal blocks. They’re really fun! Happy busting :o)

Jeannette says:

Well, you could try a busy book like I just did with all scraps… but it looks like you’ve got a bunch of scraps already pieced together. BTW, how do you end up with all those strings? I always only have weird little chunks of fabric left. ;)

CitricSugar says:

Love your scrappy zig-zag! It looks so fresh and clean… I’m working on a scrappy spiderweb myself.

Jessica C says:

Stacked coins, bookshelves, nine-patches, wonky squares w/in squares. I love this zigzag. I’ll be making one of these for sure! I, too, have a scrap problem. :)

Linda says:

Hi Ashley, I love the quilt, as always. The main reason I am writing is that I am worried about you, Morgan and Max! I haven’t heard anything about South Burlington being flooded, but I remember all those quilt pictures by the water, so I figured you must be close to some body of water! Hope this finds you all well……….and DRY! xo, Linda

Danielle says:

Just wondering– did you foundation piece this? I love this and might try to use up some of my scraps, too!

Carli says:

This little quilt is awesome, it will go awesome with my tutorial for slicing and dicing technique listed on Quilting Gallery. I love this! Thanks for sharing.

Marianne says:

Use more of those same scraps in a border or 2 or 3…

This idea looks like lots of fun – I hear you on “but I used so many scraps- how can I have so much left?” It’s part of the fabric lover’s dilemma kinda like dust it always seems to reappear.

Stay inspired! and thanks for posting all your play and good works and ideas!

Annie says:

That is a really fun wonky zig zag. It’s so fun how great a pile of scraps will look sewn together.

Always loved that zig zag quilt. Anything scrappy takes the cake though. Adding this to the list just after I figure out the points on a sunburst.

I just pulled out my opposing triangle quilt to contemplate the quilting and it reminded me I wanted to do one with scrappy strip pieced outlines on the triangles. So there’s a scrap busting idea!

carol says:

Love this. Could you possibly post a tutorial? I haven’t a clue where to start on a quilt design such as this!

Robyn says:

As a quilter, I can’t tell you how much I love your quilt. I was browsing through your earlier posts and was surprised to see a picture taken in Tortola. I live in Sydney Australia, but my ancestor, Richard Hetherington, was President of the Council of Tortola in the early 1800s. Quite a coincidence!

Lisa says:

I’m with Carol….I would love to see a tutorial or at least a quick explanation if you don’t have time for a full tutorial. I’m not really sure how you manage to quilt with your little Short and Sweet around! :-) I love this wonky zig zag!

nancy says:

love it, you are so talented!

Erin M. says:

It is great looking. My sis in law just gave me reds strips that were left over from a log cabin she made. I may just have to do this with them. They have the same width though, so I’m not sure if it will have the same effect as your varied width scraps.

I was checking online for a tutorial, and I found this :
    It is on a smaller scale and not scrappy, but it got me started on one of my own :D

Becky says:

I love the zigzags with the white background. And these comments are all a goldmine of inspiration. Hopefully soon I’ll have enough scraps to make a scrap quilt. That justifies buying more fabric, right?

35. Pingback: FITF: triangles!! | Film in the Fridge