Hot Pink Spring

I’ve been waiting a long time for Melody Miller‘s Ruby Star Spring. I hadn’t had a chance to hit up my local fabric shop yet since Max isn’t a fan of his carseat (to put it mildly… very much hoping he grows out of that!). Anyway, Melody was sweet enough to send along a selection of three of her prints (thanks Melody!!).

I knew all along that I wanted to make something with the Bee print — I so love that big bee! I initially considered making a shirt or a skirt, but then thought, hey, why not a quilt?!

I was immediately feeling hot pink as the background… I picked out the fuchsia from the Pure Elements line, and indeed it is quite bright. But do you ever get something in your head and you just can’t stop thinking about it? I went back and forth between the pink and a few ‘safer’ options, but ultimately I just really wanted to see it with the hot pink. And yes, it’s bright, and I’m pretty sure it’s not for everyone, but you know what? I really love it!

Ruby Star Spring can be found at Fabricworm and at Nido.

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Hot Pink Spring

Looks lovely. I managed to get my hand on the entire collection last week and am also planning a quilt rather than clothes.

Rita says:

Ah yes, very familiar with the concept of having a mental image stuck in my head. Love the hot pink and love the bee fabric. It’s already stashed.

Great work!

Dawn says:

I think this is FABULOUS! I love the pink and the bee and the other strips and swatches so artfully placed – and all wonderful fabrics!

alexis says:

I love the hot pink. And PS: I had a carseat-hater as well. He did grow out of it (it might take a little while though). :)

Heide says:

My second babe couldn’t be in the car for more than 5 minutes without screaming bloody murder. It was awful. She outgrew it by 7 months, so there is hope! :)

This quilt is SO RAD. Love it!

Jackie says:

it’s just beautiful Ashley

Sarah C. says:

What a great way to use that giant bee print – and the hot pink is perfect!

Kara Smith says:

The quilt is beautiful. I can see why you love the big bee, it was the first thing that caught my eye. As for Max, try moving him out of his infant carrier and into a convertible car seat (if you haven’t already) My youngest son HATED his car seat up until we had to switch him out of the infant carrier. Now he laughs and babbles in the car (and even sleeps occasionally) Worth a shot!

carol says:

Looks terrific. I have some of the Melody Miller from the first collection and love it — but the hot pink really makes your quilt shine!

Kelly G says:

I can relate to the carseat screamer… My daughter did the same thing when she was in the first rear-facing car seat. Now that she’s in a front-facing seat everything is great! I hope max grows out of it as well.

Beth says:

I lvoe it too! Way to stick with your vision! Smiles~Beth

Alli says:

The hot pink looks great! I’m glad that you went with the idea that was stuck in your head. There’s no reason not to take chances with quilts — you can always make another! :)

Kate says:

Love this top Ashley…the large scale bee and the hot pink are fantastic together.

Feeling your pain regarding the car seat ‘issues’…Maddie was the same, my parents live about 45 minutes away and as you can imagine I dreaded those weekly trips.

x

Alison in Anchorage says:

If it makes you feel any better, we drove from WY to AK with a carseat-adverse four-month-old. Actually that should read, her father drove and I held the baby. Fortunately, the Alaska highway is pretty quiet in April.

Karmen says:

You “bee” rockin it! Best use of hot, hot pink winner.

Melody says:

This is so lovely! The hot pink is EXACTLY what I would have chosen to accompany the bees:)

Kay Hoeppner says:

Love this quilt:)

Liz Arrow says:

LOVE this!! It’s so happy and cheerful! A perfect use of those big bees!

20. Pingback: FITF: stripes + dots | Film in the Fridge

Stacey says:

I love this…I am definitely getting that bee fabric!

22. Pingback: FITF: ruby star pants | Film in the Fridge