red, purple & gray

I’ve been having such fun making this quilt! The color palette was inspired by a page in a Crate & Barrel magazine from last winter. I pulled out the page, but then promptly lost it (or perhaps saved it in some very special – unknown! – spot).

Anyway, I pulled out lots of fabrics – both solids and prints – in reds, purples and grays for this quilt. I have always liked the look of the Munki Martians quilt I made a while ago and decided to make something similar in this color palette.

I like the idea of using a solid and a print in the same color. I limited the improv blocks to just reds and purples – solids and matching prints, then added a dark gray border to each. It’s all sashed in a medium gray, which is a mix of a Kona solid and two prints in the same medium gray color. I’m excited about how it’s looking!

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to red, purple & gray

Jeni says:

Really gorgeous Ashley! This is such a fun color palette! :)

Alissa says:

So pretty! I too love to use monochromatic patterned fabric within the solid! Adds such interest, right? Can’t wait to see this one finished!

heather says:

it’s a beauty Ashley! really, really fab! ;)

X, H

Shelley says:

I save pages from the Crate & Barrel catalogues all the time! They have the best color combinations. Love the colors in this quilt :)

That’s different how you sashed with a print. I really like it! Looking forward to more pictures.

Faith says:

It looks great Ashley! I can’t tell but it looks like you mixed prints and solids for the sashing? Love that idea.

Terri says:

I love this color combination! I think you pieced these fabrics together in such a great way to showcase the colors. I think the gray and white really pull this together fabulously!

Erin says:

i like this A LOT. cant wait to see it finished!

The reds/purples look so fantastic with grey. Loved the mixed backgrounds!

Lianne says:

Grey is such a great colour. It goes with literally everything and makes other colours instantly more sophisticated. As this quilt proves. Fun pink, but elegant because of the grey. Great job!

Suzanne says:

I can see you are making good use of nap time.

Jeane says:

I am not much of a purple fan but I love how you have used it with the grey and red. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Lisa says:

Would love to see a pic of the whole thing so we can see what you did with the sashing! Red and purple are not my usual go-to colors…but together with the gray and white they are totally smashing!!

Lauren JH says:

Ashley – As with all your quilts, I love this one!

Mariah says:

Hello Ashley,

Your quilts are so beautiful and I’ve been inspired to learn to quilt from your blog! Would you mind if I used a picture of one of your string quilts to illustrate one of my blog posts? I would credit you with the image, of course. I won’t post it until I hear from you.

Thanks.

Dalya says:

I love this quilt! The colors are so exquisite and modern!

Sue says:

What a beautiful quilt! I love the color combinations.