scrappy quilts?

So I pulled out all my fabric scraps the other day because they’re getting a bit out of hand and are starting to overflow their enamelware confines. It’s definitely time to make some quilts out of scraps! After letting Max play with them for a while, I sorted them into colors and I have high hopes of using them in a couple projects.

My first thought is to use them for blocks for this fun Summer Sampler quilt. I’ve never made a sampler quilt, so maybe it’s time?! I’m loving the look of this one, and I’m a fan of the ladies who have organized it (Faith, Katie & Lee). I already missed the first week, but now that I have all my fabric scraps out, I’m sure I can get caught up!

I’m also thinking that the longer strips could be fun in a quilt made out of Alissa’s block of the month, which was just posted over at Sew Mama Sew.

I particularly love how this one simple block can be used to create so many great designs. Alissa showed these great variations over at Sew Mama Sew. I can’t decide which one I like best, though for now I have my eye on either the first or last in the second row. We’ll see!

_ _ _

Of course then I start thinking about how I could skip the scraps and make either of these quilts in some of the fun new fabrics that are out now, which of course is just my way of justifying another fabric purchase. The fact that Sew Mama Sew just sent out a coupon code doesn’t help either (15JULYPICNIC for 15% off in case you’re interested!) Oh, and while we’re talking sales, Kathy at Pink Chalk Fabrics is having her summer sale, and I noticed several prints I’d like to own… and I guess this is how the scraps keep multiplying!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Quilt Blocks. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to scrappy quilts?

Suzanne says:

I cleaned up my office this morning in anticipation of company and in the process of putting fabric away, I was inspired by all my scraps. Discipline was the only thing that kept me from jumping in. Scraps are the best way to revisit the joy of a past quilt. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

MelodyJ says:

If I’m going to clean up anything it should be my hail damaged yard but I think my daughter and I are going to clean up the sewing room so we can reach the sewing machines. It’s become a storage place for things for her new house and we haven’t been able to sew for awhile. I’d love to do a sampler. I’ve kept some extra squares from previous quilts. One of these days. I’ll be anxious to see what you do!

Lianne says:

Sampler quilt! Sampler quilt! I want to do a sampler myself so its purely for selfish reasons ;) x

Erica says:

I love the sampler quilt! I can’t wait to see what you decide, whatever you choose, it’s going to be gorgeous! :)

Tanis says:

Oooh! I love that summer sampler quilt! I’d love you vicariously live through you making one!

Debbie says:

I think you’d find it easy to catch up with the Summer Sampler! Very fun!

Alissa says:

Thanks for the Modern BOM mention!!

K says:

Must be something in the air–I sketched out quilts very similar to yours just last night . . . the second row bottom was my favorite, too. Likely in robin’s egg and red. (Or not–I’m not very decisive.)

Karen says:

i’m thinking of trying Alissa’s BOM too. i love all the options for layouts….

izzyquilts says:

Ever read the Quilter’s Apprentice ? It is by http://elmcreek.net/ Jennifer Chiaverini . It is the first book in a series and in my opinion one of her best. It is about a young couple who works for a woman who is a master quilter and is taught by this lady to make her first quilt a sampler quilt . That sampler looks nice too..

Both good choices! I’m really feeling my scraps caling me right now. I’m thinking some improv piecing – just scraps.

Faith says:

Thanks for the link love for our Summer Sampler Series!

Lee says:

We would love for you to join us for the Summer Sampler Series! We’re having lots of fun with it.

Beth T. says:

Did you see the Gen X Quilters Rockin’ Robin sampler? It would make a pretty cute baby quilt, and one of the quilters is making hers entirely from scraps.

LeAnn says:

I like them all, but my favorite would be the last one in the second row.

Candace says:

The sampler is a great idea, and there are also a couple of bow tie quiltalongs going on
    They are fun and easy. Good little scrapbusters.

Yes – please stop by on by and check out the Rockin’ Robin Quilt Along! 5 of us are working together to make a great quilt for scraps….several designers are using scraps, but I am using a layer cake. We’d love to have you!

Amanda says:

I always have high hopes of making scrappy quilts. But I always get tired of it because all the scraps are all different shapes, which requires more cutting, and they all need ironed… ehhh, whereas I could just use nice square newly purchased fabric haha. I love scrappy quilts and the idea of using all that waste, but uh, so much work!