Max’s summer wardrobe

I usually get the urge to make myself a few summer pieces, but this year it was all about Max! What baby couldn’t benefit from a few new pairs of shorts and pants? (especially a baby who goes through several outfits a day)

Plus, it’s certainly easier to make baby clothes, and it requires a lot less fabric! (though that may mean that you can talk yourself into “just one more pair!”, as is the case here)

I started out making him a couple pairs of shorts. I traced a pair he already owned that fit well.

I’ve been collecting Lilly Pulitzer fabrics for a long time now (maybe someday I’ll make a Lilly quilt!) – while most of those prints are pretty girly, I found a couple in my stash that work for Max.

And then, because I couldn’t resist, I made up a third pair out of this cute print I swapped for ages ago. Aren’t those little frogs cute? Rae just used some on one of her cute Charlie tunics (on my list to make once Max gets a little bigger).

After making several pairs of shorts, I thought he should really have some pants too… I used the same pattern I had traced and just extended the length.

This cute Heather Ross tadpole pair got a cute green trim at the bottom

As soon as I saw the new Heather Ross line, Far Far Away 3, I knew that I wanted to see that laundry print as pants! The lightweight linen/cotton blend is wonderful as pants, and I think they just keep getting softer with each wash. I think I actually woke up this morning thinking about how I’d like PJs out of this print (but it probably won’t happen, as I’d need a whole lot more fabric!)

For this pair, I added a cuff in a coordinating solid, which I hope will mean he can wear them a bit longer.

I did the same for this last pair – made out of this fun print, Swedish Forest, which is a great print from Jennifer Moore’s Anika line. I think this is it for now, but I’m sure that once he grows out of these, I’m sure you’ll see me making up a few new pairs!!

This entry was posted in baby, Clothing and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Max’s summer wardrobe

Jeni says:

Oh my goodness so adorable! Max is one stylin’ baby! :)

kerri says:

super cute pants!! i loved my little guys in lounge pants too!! max is just so adorable!! love the froggy pair on his head!! :)

Donna says:

I got a smile and a chuckle from the pictures…very cute. Max is really rockin’ the new hat! Once again, you’ve inspired me back into the sewing room. Here I go…

Super cute! And so are the shorts, which he wears very well :D Happy summer, Max!

Meredith says:

All of those shorts are adorable! I love the Heather Ross prints! And the coordinating cuffs are just perfect. Those are the little details that make your work so great!

Terri says:

What a cute wardrobe for such an adorable little guy! Love each one of these! Looks like you are having so much fun with your sewing these days – love to see!

Laura W. says:

They are adorable!

Linda says:

Love the pants (and hat), but, uh, where’s the offical “13 weeks” (or is it now 14?) picture(s)? 8-)

Penny g says:

I can’t wait to see the quilt you make from Max’s clothes as he outgrows them.

Michele says:

I love Max’s summer duds. Like most clothing (bras come to mind), smaller just amps up the cuteness factor. Great fabrics! Love the ones on his head! He’s so cute!

Martie says:

These are all just adorable. It brings back memories; I sewed all my son’s clothes the entire way through high school. He will love you so much for this when he gets old enough to appreciate it! Lucky boy.

katielea says:

I love all those shorts & pants. And think pj’s for you in the HR fabric would be fantastic…I may have to try it myself. :) Thanks for continually putting out such wonderful work for me to drool over.

Jackie says:

He is going to be the best dressing kid on the block!

Ana says:

On behalf of my baby son, I am green with envy at all those fabulous shorts and trousers! They are utterly gorgeous – I especially love the contrasting trims on the trousers.

SUPER CUTE! Love those little shorts and pants on your cute little guy!

anna says:

these are so adorable! I love all the different combos you used, they’re all adorable.

Jo says:

Baby boy clothes are so darn cute! I can’t help myself either! My list of things to make also grows daily!

Amanda says:

They are all so adorable! Thanks for the inspiration. We are expecting our little guy any day now and those are just the pants I want him to wear! I’ve only made a couple pair so far, waiting to see how big he is.

LeAnn says:

Too cute!!! The shorts are adorable – and so is Max, of course!!

Everything you make is lovely. Maybe you can do a video tutorial of a quilt or clothing. It’s easy to do a video and would really help us beginners out! I opst many videos on You Tube (for my work) and people love them.

P.S. But with a baby, I know you have little time and videos take longer to edit and publish. :-)

Erica says:

He has to be the best dressed baby in VT! :)

lisa says:

don’t forget that once he’s out of diaper he’ll have a smaller butt size! he’ll probably need need new waist elastic, but his last pairs of diaper-covering shorts can be easily modified.

so cute!

These are way precious. I love your blog. I always see your pics on Flickr, but just recently came across your blog. Great stuff! I love seeing your baby grow, and seeing the projects just for him inspire me to do more things like this just for my little girl.

sarah says:

can you please please please post a pattern? i love these!!

Ariel says:

Would you possibly be able to share your pattern? My girlfriends are all having babies this fall and I am completely disappointed by most of the baby clothes in the stores. I would love to be able to make them all these adorable pants!!