a quilt in jewel tones

It’s been quite hot here recently. Too hot for quilting, in fact. (And obviously too hot for blogging too!). Instead, I’ve been hanging out under the ceiling fan and cooling myself off with iced coffees. I made my own following this recipe that Erin linked to recently, and it’s good! Will definitely be making more once this batch is gone!

So instead of finishing up any of those older quilts, I decided to start a new one. Slowly piecing a few blocks doesn’t make me quite as hot as the thought of actually quilting a quilt. This pile of fabrics has been shelved since I showed them here. At the time, I thought they’d make a great winter quilt, what with all those darker jewel tones. I clearly didn’t get it done in time for last winter, so perhaps this winter?

In addition to the previously pulled stack of reds and purples, I pulled out some corresponding solids in the same colors

Then did a little editing and ended up with this pile (I couldn’t decide about that floral one in the center, which is why it’s off by itself. I’m thinking I’ll skip it…)

And now I’ve started making up some improv blocks. I’m going with simple blocks and cutting them down to 8″ square. We’ll see where it goes from here!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilt Blocks and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to a quilt in jewel tones

They are so pretty – love the improv look!

Uli says:

I sure love those wonderfully rich and bright colours!!! It’s going to be great.

Audrie says:

Love! The colours and blocks are gorgeous!

beth says:

So lovely…now I want to make a gray, red and purple quilt (if only I had more time!!!) Looking forward to seeing the rest of your blocks. Smiles~Beth

Megan says:

Love this combo Ashley! I got a solids bundle of all purples with greys I’m thinking about incorporating some prints into. Gotta love purple!

Amie says:

Love this! These are some of my favourite fabrics!

Jane says:

Beautiful!! What is the dandelion fabric that comes in gray and purple? I’m obsessed with dandelions!

Kait says:

I’ve been making that iced coffee for a couple weeks now since Erin mentioned it, too. So good! Perfect to beat the heat and get some sewing done :)

Sarah says:

That looks like a lovely start. I really love the fabric with the meandering dotted lines. Do you remember who the designer was or the collection name?

Ella says:

I love the colors! This is giving me ideas for my bee month…

Bri says:

I LOVE THOSE COLORS. They are gorgeous, and I think your improv blocks do a good job of showcasing them! I’m feeling inspired.

Also, I feel for you about the heat… We’ve had a lot of days in the nineties lately here in WI; last week one day was a miserable 105 degrees in an AC-less house! It definitely stifles my creativity a bit.

Wendymoon says:

Love these colors together! Your improv blocks are great.

Erica says:

Beautiful colors, I especially love that gray print that looks kind of like dandelion blossoms!

DianeY says:

Love your colors-I chose the same ones for a bee I’ve been participating in & I think the purples had everyone freaked out! I have finally given up & will make my own!

Susan McKey says:

Just terrific colors.

Do you ever struggle with “to pattern or not to pattern”? I notice you use a lot of improvised blocks. As an actor, I know that improvising keeps it fresh, but do you ever get tired of always coming up with something new, so you just want to follow a pattern? I’m struggling with this right now, so I was just wondering….

As always, I am inspired by your work :-)

sara says:

love the colors – not usually drawn to red, but i like it with the purple and gray! and love your wrinkles : ) definately making the coffee – i do now but with reg. leftover coffee – this will make all the diff!

teawithhazel says:

the iced coffee recipe is inspired..now i know why mine was never that great..the secret is to make it cold..love the rich jewel colours of your new quilt..jane

Jeni says:

LOVE this color combination! This is going to be such a fun quilt! :)

Nicole from Noble Quilts says:

Hi, I love this style of quilting but I have no idea where to start. If you have the time (I understand what time poor means, my daughter just turned 1 and no where near as much quilting gets done these days) I would love one of your very easy to follow tutorials. I know this is a concept and not a pattern but PLEASE get me started.
    Thanks, Nicole

Suzanne says:

Such pretty inspiration, Ashley. Stay cool!

Jill B says:

Wow wow wow! Those blocks are stunning – love the colours! Here it’s too COLD to craft – my fingers won’t work. My lounge room is currently 59 deg.

LeAnn says:

You’re off to a great start! Love your colors and your improv look.

LeAnn

Elisabeth K says:

While I will never be an iced coffee fan, I am truly inspired by your fabric selections, improvised blocks and unexpectedly pieced backings!! Thanks for sharing these!! I really want to try the improv block sometime!!

So often it is that one fabric that can inspire the fabric pull, but it never ends up in the quilt! I’ve done that so many times.

Tonya Albers says:

love the colors! but I have to know – what line are the magenta & gray with white dandelion-looking flowers on it from? they are awesome! :)
    Thanks for sharing your always-beautiful stuff! :)

Carli says:

I can only imagine where you go with these awesome summer jewels. Looking forward to the rest of your posts.

April says:

I’ve decided it’s too hot to quilt, too! So I put my current big quilt away and am starting a new topper myself. Your fabrics are quite colorful. I wouldn’t have ever thought to put them together like that man, are they cool together! :)

Your little collection is already delightful. And the thought of just making blocks, freeform. OMG, it sounds like heaven!

Love those colors together. So pretty and will be perfect for a winter quilt to cozy up with. Bet Max will like it too!

Leigh says:

those colors are great together! and i love your signature log cabin blocks. they’re so you.

Aletta says:

I love those new blocks and I’m very curious to see the finished quilt with those lovely blocks!

Susan McAdams says:

I love those colors. The solids work great with your prints. I agree about the heat. 102 degrees is forecast for today. Yuk.

erica says:

You just have the most amazing sense of color~This is going to be beautiful!