a little more sewing for baby…

A few more projects from Lotta Jansdotter’s Simple Sewing for Baby -

I used the bib shape from Lotta’s book, but used flannel for the backing and did some simple quilting on each. I love the patchwork look! These were made for my cousins who both had baby boys a month after Max was born.

And of course I couldn’t resist the cute little giraffe rattles from her book – I used some great Ink & Spindle fabrics and a couple lovely hand printed fabrics from Kalla.

I thought Max would look cute in some bloomers this summer, but didn’t take into account how big he’d get, or how much larger I should have made them to accommodate his cloth diapers! So while cute, he never got to wear them (which is unfortunately also the case for a lot of his other clothing!).

And the last project from Lotta’s book – a tag blanket. Max loved sucking on the ribbon ears of his giraffes, so I thought he might really like one of these blankets.

And indeed he does!

So if you count the swaddler I made earlier, which was also a pattern in this book, I think I made a total of 5 things from this book, which must surely be a record for me!

This entry was posted in baby and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to a little more sewing for baby…

Angela says:

everything is so adorable! hope you are having fun with your little man. xx

randi says:

i love those giraffes! the fabrics you chose are perfect!

Kelly Irene says:

I have had this book for 2 years and not made anything! I think that needs to change with a baby due in less than 2 months. I love the swaddler you made, and the patchwork bibs look great!
    On a side note, do you like the bouncer seat you have? (is that the Bjorn brand one?) My hubby is convinced we need that one, but I’m not sold yet! Max sure looks cute in it though ;)

Jennifer says:

Max is sooooo cute!! And of course he is very lucky to surrounded by so many beautiful handmade things.

If you’re looking for other projects to make in the months to come, I can report that some of the best (i.e. quick, fun and useful) items I’ve made for 2.5 year-old Frida are pj bottoms, elastic-waist pants and shorts. For pj’s, I use the Oliver + S Bedtime Story pattern (the smaller of the two covers 6 mos – 3 years), and for pants and shorts there are many, many toddler and kids patterns from the Big 4 that work great. (And of course AMH’s pants pattern is adorable…I think I saw that you had made some of those already?) Whether making pj’s, pants or shorts, I try to use quiet moments (while Frida’s occupied) to cut out pieces for multiple pairs, and then those pieces are ready to go for assembly-line sewing whenever I have a window of time to be at the machine.

Enjoy your sweet boy!

Super cute bibs! And Max is so precious watching you with the blanket.

heather says:

Uuuummm…. is it wrong that i’d like an adult bib??? ;)

xoxoxo

Kar says:

What adorable little projects. I’ll have to check that book out for myself. Max looks happy with the blankie. :)

Sara Hill says:

That baby is so cute and has gotten big so fast! Wish I could squeeze him, and take a turn in holding him on a day when you’re tired and need an extra hand–Sara

krystina says:

Cute projects! Little Max is so adorable!

Lori says:

Oh my goodness! That is too much cuteness for just one post!! :)

Marianne says:

Those bibs are great!

When my daughter was young I made her bib aprons which gave coverage for her lap as well. Even brought one with us when we went out to supper. That apron caught a lot of macaroni and cheese in its day.

Erica says:

i am in love with those bibs! love! i just had a little boy and would kill for one. any thoughts on selling some?? please email me!

Meg says:

Sooo cute! Max is looking like such a little man!

Wow! Wonderful job on all of your projects … those bibs are just divine …. if I made those, I think I would have a tough time using them once my baby was into carrots and squash … I would be too worried about the stains! Babies do grow up so fast :) I have 3 boys (8,6 and 3), and the time just goes by too fast. That is so great that you are getting “sew” much use out of Lotta’s book. I am lucky if I even make one thing from a book half of the time! Makes me wonder why I enjoy buying books so much, when I never really use them!

Hugs, Sara:)

P.S. Beautiful baby!!!!

Carol says:

I am so happy to read you are using cloth diapers. My children are 31, 28 and 24 and they all wore cloth diapers. I must confess I still have the best ones saved and stored in the cedar chest. Maybe one day my grandchildren can wear them!

MBMeadows says:

I love Lotta’s book. I’ve used that bib pattern and Amy Butler’s bib pattern until they are worn out!

Cristin says:

Great little projects and I love that book! I’ve made several of the projects and have found each one to be delightful :-)
    My little guy wears cloth diapers and I quickly found out, with a big cloth bum, he had to wear clothes (pants, and onesies) atleast 1 size bigger than he actually was… just to accomodate the bulk. Which is fine, really…. now we’re used to it! He’s 15mo old and is wearing 24mo shorts and rompers this summer. I wouldn’t have it any other way :-)

Sonja says:

I love everything! I must admit the giraffes are adorable!

Anna says:

These projects are all fab. I was just looking in this book last night to see if there were some simple things to make. I wonder if you could tell me how you included a rattle sound in the giraffes? Bells don’t work because the stuffing muffles the sound. Maybe there are better supplies in the US?

For the reader asking about the Baby Bjorn chair, we have it and it is one of the best things we bought. My little one is happy to bounce away in it for hours. It wasn’t great to begin with when my baby was tiny but by 6 weeks old when he was a bit heavier he was happily bouncing away.

Diana says:

Love those bibs! They inspired me to make one yesterday out of my Bliss scraps and I love it! Thanks for posting.

Kelsie says:

That is what I love about her books – I want to make Everything in them! Most of the time I will like a couple of the patterns in a book but there will be several I have no interest in making. Recently, my husband bought me her Simple Sewing book, but I haven’t been able to start on anything yet. But I will be soon! Thanks for the reminder and the inspiration!