kites in the clouds

(please ignore all those stray threads!)

Does anyone remember the start of this quilt? I started it way back when, right after finishing my Flying Farfalle quilt. I even wrote a tutorial for it, then promptly put it away and started something else (what can I say, I’m not always good at completing projects!). Anyway, I would have finished it earlier, but to be perfectly honest, when I wanted to finish it, I couldn’t find those blocks! [That's not totally true though - I did find 9 blocks, but couldn't find the remainder (why those 9 weren't with the others is still strange to me!). I looked in all the likely spots, and then finally found them tucked in among a stack of fabrics. Looks like someone needs to be a bit more organized!]

Blah, blah, blah… so anyway, I made several additional blocks to make up a throw sized quilt. Originally, the idea was to lay out the blocks as shown in the original post. Then Morgan got to the design wall and next thing I knew, he had changed it up and decided I should go with this layout instead. And so now I guess the name has to change…Dinner Date is now Kites in the Clouds.

(I suppose the backside looks more like kites, but I’m going with it anyway!)

I think it’s fun, and I love that it’s made up of all solids – mainly Kona solids. I think this is the first quilt I’ve made out of solely solids. It really was a great way to use up all those small pieces of solids I had floating around. Oh, and I even made a backing for it! Yay!

Speaking of solids, check back tomorrow for a solids giveaway from Jackie at Canton Village Quilt Works

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to kites in the clouds

Suzanne says:

I love how you and Morgan work together in your quilts and photos and today, I especially love the truck in the background.

Lisa Gapen says:

You have me SO hooked on string quilts now!! I finished my first one (all in wild world fabrics- sound familiar?!) and have since found so many photos that have inspired even more ideas. I may not make much of anything else for awhile. :0) The ability to use scraps really helps with my current need top utilize every ounce of fabrics since money is tight! Thanks for sharing so many great ideas and gorgeous quilts!!

Erin says:

ok, i liked the original, but i LOVE this!! it’s visually interesting, pretty, and different! i love new and fresh ideas! can’t wait to see it finished :)

brenda says:

i love this quilt! and i have a stash of solids from my amish quilt days that would be great! thanks for the idea!

Suzanne says:

love it!!! especially made with all solids! :)

Alli says:

I really like how from afar, the diamonds look like hand-drawn stars! They do to me, at least. :D

Totally, totally inspired! Way to go Morgan.

MissMary says:

Perfect inspiration! I’ve got a cousin getting married in October–he’s Casablanca, she’s mod. I think I could make a version of this style to fit them both. Thanks for sharing!

LeeAnn says:

This is my favorite quilt you have done yet! Love the name too!

Lara B says:

I think this quilt is very effective and a good way to use up scraps.

Those Morgans of ours have good eyes for design!

Paige says:

I love this. I really need to work with solids.

This quilt is stunning. Nice colors.

Rebecka says:

Your quilt is really pretty. I like that you can use up scraps with this design. I normally don’t use solids. I like the way your quilt looks. I need to make a change! :)

I am lovin’ all over this quilt!!!!
    (and the pics – ooooh, the pics, the green, the truck…..)

belinda says:

KaPOW!!! LOVE this!!! Who knew gray solids could be so FABULOUS!!

Patty says:

LOVE the design change! Way to go, Morgan! I’ve been working on one with rectangles, but, oh my, it does take a while to get those all together!

Susan McKey says:

Oh, man! I love this idea and I fear I will have to do my own version. It is so refreshing to mix bright Kona solids with the grey. And I certainly have plenty of both.
    Thanks for this, Ashley. Best to you and yours.
    xo

Lucinda says:

Great job. I love the kites. I’m quickly becoming a fan of solids in my own work.

Tracey says:

I love the Kona solids. They add balance and dimension to my quilts. And I love bright colors! Eye candy!

Kris Bolick says:

Love the bright colors the are soooo happy! Any project they are used in will be a winner!

23. Pingback: FITF: solids… for one of you! | Film in the Fridge

Tara says:

I like the original but I LOVE the kites in the clouds. The brights on gray look amazing!

MissMary says:

Hi! I made a version of this for a bride-to-be and thought you’d be interested. She’s modern, he’s Casablanca, and the look is a perfect combination. Thanks for the inspiration!

26. Pingback: FITF: kites in the clouds quilt | Film in the Fridge