these quilts need backings!

So after telling you that I needed to get working on quilt backings, I decided to pull out all the quilt tops waiting for those backings. I figure that if I get them out of the closet and downstairs closer to the sewing machine, that perhaps they’d have a better chance of getting finished (we’ll see how that works out!).

I’ve been storing them in a closet, hung on hangers (after seeing someone else doing this… Jacquie, maybe?). It keeps them somewhat unwrinkled and organized. Three of these quilts are queen sized, which is why they’re still unfinished. Even though I’ve made a couple queen sized quilts in the past, I’m still intimidated by the thought of finishing a quilt of this size. I really want to start using these though, so I should really get on it!

So how many backings do you think I’ll complete this weekend? My guess is zero, though perhaps I should be more optimistic and say one…

And for those of you asking for Max photos, here he is at 9 weeks –

At his 2 month checkup this week we found out that he’s now weighing in at 13 lbs 8 oz and is off the charts at 25 1/4″ tall…

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to these quilts need backings!

Nancy says:

oh…i have just as many tops on hangers that need backings…why do we stop at that point? maybe because the backing can be so boring?

If you get one backing done this weekend it will be one more than I will done.. Good luck!

Lindsay says:

You always do beautifully pieced backs…but would it be a modern quilting travesty to just do a solid piece of fabric on some of them? Just to get them closer to completed. Sometimes I think finished is better then perfect!

phiona says:

i like how you throw in the stuffed toys ;)
    as always max is looking adorable & those quilts of yours inspire me to finish my very own quilt.

xx

Alice R. says:

Oh, yum! What bright-eyed goodness. I have so much fun looking at Max that I almost forget to look at the quilts!

Annalia says:

What a great idea! …and I’m not sure why it’s so ground-breaking, but it’s never occured to me to hang up my wips.

Your little guy is growing so quickly! Such a cutie!

amandajean says:

max is such a cutie pie!

have fun making backings. it’s not always easy…I get tripped up there often, too. but it does feel SO GOOD to finish them up. just start with one. it just may be addictive. :)

Jenna says:

They look amazing so far :) I wish I had one or two quilts at that stage… my first one is in the first stages. Good luck!

Debbie says:

yikes! Backings are probably my least favorite part of the process, just after basting! Good luck!! (beautiful baby!)

Faith says:

I can’t blame you for not wanting to make quilt backs when you have that cutie looking at you all day. :)

Polly says:

Why not send them out to be quilted? That’s what I do. I send them to Stover Quality Quilting in Stover, MO. (I don’t have any affiliation with them, other than having them quilt my tops for 15 years or so…so this is not an ad or anything). I have fun making the tops, then I send them out to be quilted, and then they get put on a bed! It’s a bit pricey sometimes, but now I just budget for it (harder than it sounds sometimes, I know…)

elsa says:

no tops at the present time ~ working on one tho (sort of).
    Max is so darn cute!

Cille says:

It will be exiting to see the quilts finished. No. 2 looks interesting :) You make such beautiful quilts…

I have to share one funny little thing about your adorable son. My sons were checking out puppies online (no – we are NOT getting one) while I was browsing blogs on my pc. My youngest son who is 8 leaned over just as I was reading your last post and when he saw the picture of Max he said: “Ohhh – he has such big eyes. He is beautiful. Can we get someone like him?” (Sorry – no puppies and no more babies in this house either)

Stephanie says:

The quilts looks great, but that little guy is adorable! I love that second picture of him… so cute!

Lou says:

Your quilts are gorgeous but your baby is SOOOO cute… I would spend the weekend just daring at him… ;-)

Organizing your tops is a double-edged sword: it’s rewarding to see them nice and tidy but there’s a certain amount of guilt associated with NOT getting them quilted!

I do the same as you (hanging up the tops). Sometimes I even associate the batting and yardage for the backing, so it’s a complete package. And there they sit whilst I happily piece more tops! Yes, insanity. :-)

I’ve done a number of queen-sized quilts and they don’t bother me as much as the two king-sized tops I have waiting for me. Those two tops have been completed for a number of *years* but loading them on my machine just scares the bejesus outta me … so I procrastinate .. and there they sit.

I really ought to be brave … and so should you! :-)

Suzanne says:

I just love that smile, and the quilts aren’t bad either. ;-)

Molly says:

He’s off the chart for cuteness too!

Sharon says:

Max is beyond cute. Oops, I forgot to look at the quilts, lol

Cradke says:

The tops look great! I just finished a 50×66″ – my first quilt that needed a pieced backing. I did not enjoy making the backs and I’m not as much into the actual “quilting” part. I love cutting, designing and choosing fabrics

I usually have mine completed by a long-arm quilter for the ease of it all.

Max is too cute! When Nilah went to the Doctor’s last month she weighed in at 13 lbs (she was 5 1/2 months at the time) and 24.5 inches. Max is going to be a big boy.

Pat V. says:

OK, I’m gettin’ me some wooden hangers TODAY…

jo says:

a hint of a smile there from Max. What a cutie

Find one that calls out for you! You can do it =). And, Max, is so fun to see. He’s more beautiful every time. Keep up the good work, mothering!

Suzanne says:

Ashley, Max is just the cutest little guy, do I see a hint of a smile there? Love your quilts, I’m sure you’ll at least get started on one backing this weekend!

Shannon says:

I always end up with a stack of tops because I dread the basting…I think I only have 2 WIPs at the moment, but that hanger idea is genius! I’m tempted to start stockpiling quilt tops again just to try it out!!

Katharine says:

The quilts are lovely but Max is just adorable. I’d spend my whole looking at him.

Annette says:

Look at those beautiful quilt tops. You better get to work and finish them off so that you can show them in full. Your teeny tiny little thing is the most precious little fellow. So charming. Can understand why the quilt tops are without backings cause who would want to let go of such a piece of sugar ever?:D

Molly says:

You know what they say? It’s not a quilt, til it’s quilted. These look beautiful, I can hardly wait to see them.
    Max is looking so cute too. He’s the perfect quilt model.

Jillian says:

Thx for the Max pic today, what a gorgeous little guy he is!

As far as quilting larger quilts, Marti Michell has a great book, IMO, ‘Machine Quilting in Sections’, showing many different ways of managing quilting.

One way to consider is dividing the batt into thirds with a slightly curvy cut, 1.) place the first third of batt in the center, baste that section however your normally do, then quilt that section, leaving some space on the batt sides unquilted; 2.) connect the second third of batting onto the center one with narrow strips of lightweight fusible interfacing or hand stiching, whatever is appropriate for your batt, then quilt that one-third section; 3.) then do the final third as #2. This way you never have more than one third of the quilt under the machine throat at a time–and that area doesn’t have batting in it as the quilted section is always to the left.

I suggest getting the the book ‘cuz she has lots of illustrations and other possible techniques, depending on the design of your top. I just checked on Marti Michell’s site. She has two short videos, one about the book and another about a different technique than I described above:

Marianne says:

I beat you on quilt tops awaiting backings. I have at least double. That boy of yours gets cuter every day! He is incredibly sweet!!!

nancy says:

your baby is too cute, those gorgeous deep brown eyes seem so full of wisdom. i just love all your work, quilts, photos, tutororials, etc. thanks for all you do to inspire new quilters like me.

Linda Gerig says:

He is so cute. he looks much older with all the hair. Mine were bald. they grow up so fast enjoy him while you can. Linda Gerig

Sarah C. says:

Such a cutie!! It’s a wonder you get any sewing done at all…… And about those flimsies, I tend to agree with lots of the folks above – sometimes just a plain back will let you get a quilt off the WIP pile and onto a bed! I love to piece my backs (I think I started doing it after I saw yours!) but if I’ve got a pile of quilts to get out, I’ll usually just use a simple one-fabric backing so I can move it along!

LeAnn Frobom says:

Adorable baby pics, and love your quilt tops! I’m sure they won’t be bare-backed for long.

Congrats on being named to Quilt Home’s Top 55 blogs list.

LeAnn aka pasqueflower

Elisabeth Kinsey says:

I love, love, love the colors and fabrics you work with! They are so amazing!! And that sweet little boy is amazing too!! I usually have to have a deadline to get a quilt to the finished stage!! I gifted three quilts this weekend!! The last one was finished just two hours early!!

Carli says:

I’m still a grandma in waiting so I really enjoy your comments, wonderings and great shots of quilts and babies. Great combination. I have the same problem. I call them UFO’s, at the beginning of 2011 I counted 11 tops to be quilted. I’ve done three so far, not bad, but tells me something about my love of quilt top making!!

I’m glad I’m not the only one who enjoys making the quilt top more than backing and quilting! And I never make anything larger than a baby/lap quilt–I cannot imagine trying to quilt a queen size on my sewing machine. (Max is so adorable!)

I really like that method of hanging them, it somehow makes them look more official? I guess that anything hung and not folded means there is less of a chance to my cats to sit on it. lol.

Your son is the CUTEST!!!

Do you feel guilty about having those quilt tops unfinished? I almost feel guilty when I have unfinished projects. I wish there was someone that could tell me that it is OK to not finish things immediately, because I often really lose steam on a project and instead of moving on, I just stare at the quilt until I figure out what to do. Waste of time? Probably.

Paula Marshall says:

The quilt tops will wait; Max will be running around before you know it – enjoy him while he’s still super cuddly!!

I love the idea of hanging the quilt tops and will hang mine (all 3 of them!!) I’ve only completed 4 quilts and am intimidated by ANY size quilting.. and really don’t enjoy the hand stiching part of binding. Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated!

Your work is beautiful (espcially Max!!) Thanks for sharing…

Beth Ellen says:

Now that is one cute baby!

Jen says:

Your pile looks like mine! I can see why you’re distracted though, how sweet is Max!! How do you refrain from eating him up??

nicole says:

Hi,
    I have a non quilting question. Can you or any of your readers recommend a pattern for a wide brim sun hat for a little girl? I have an 11 month old daughter who I would like to sew a hat for. I would like to make one that has been tested and I know works well. Not a baby pattern but one that would fit a little girl – it is winter here in Australia so by summer she will be a little girl. Thanks for your help.

Shannon says:

Awwww…Max is just the cutest:) He makes a superior quilt model too!

Elizabeth says:

Your little man is so adorable! My little girl, Veda, just turned 10 weeks old and was 9 lbs 10 oz and 23″ at her 2 month appt. You’re going to have quite a big boy on your hands. My first daughter was over 13 lbs when she was 2 months old and ended up at 22 lbs at 6 months. My arms and back begged for a little baby the 2nd time around and it looks like I got my wish!

carol says:

I am new at this but I am trending in the same direction! Your little guy is gorgeous, by the way!

April says:

Happy quilt-backing-time! :) Hope you can get at least one done sometime. I just finished a project today and love that euphoric feeling of finishing something.

That Max is a big boy! But my daughter has him beat–yesterday we learned that she’s 26 inches. Are you going crazy with him growing out of everything already? :) (Luckily this is my second daughter so I have a slew of clothes in the attic to use and don’t have to run to the store every other week for a larger wardrobe.)

Is he not the cutest little boy ever!!

carla says:

such a precious little man

brittany says:

love the kites quilt. your boy looks so much older! and he’s bigger than mine… carson is 9.5 weeks and 10 pounds and 23 inches.

Kristie says:

LOVE your quilts. Thank you for your inspiration!!! Can you please tell me who’s material the blue & green and red/orange ones are. (I’m referring to the one where Max is laying on the blanket.) I’m looking for something similar to those and can’t find it. Also I love the material where you have a similar pattern but each in different colors– in blue, red, and brown. Is that from the same designer? THANK YOU!

Bethany says:

Ashley, I know that you sell many of your finished quilts, but I was wondering if you’d be intrested in selling the quilt top pictured in the front of this picture if you’ve yet to quilt it. I am looking for new bedding and im in LOVE with these colors, fabrics, and the simple design. I tried to find these flea market fancy prints everywhere to make a similar one of my own and have had no luck. Please let me know! :)

54. Pingback: FITF: lotta charm! | Film in the Fridge