bright and colorful – an Echino baby playmat

I’m pleased to finally show you this finished quilt! I started this one back here, and initially thought that I’d turn it into a wall hanging for the baby’s room. In the end though, I just wasn’t feeling it.

Turns out I prefer it laying on the floor rather than hanging on the wall – so playmat it is! And I really think it will be perfect as a playmat – it’s colorful and fun, and there are so many fun images to look at. It’s also made with heavier weight fabrics, so I think it will be great for outdoor use this summer.

As you might know, I’m a big fan of Etsuko Furuya’s fabrics, and have been collecting them for quite some time. It was fun to combine all the various prints together in this one quilt. Despite all the colors and prints, I really think they all work well together.

The quilt is made up of quarter log cabin blocks, which were improv pieced in a wonky manner. They were all trimmed down to 8″ square and then recombined into these larger blocks.

For the backing, I used a solid brown cotton/linen fabric, also by Etsuko Furuya, paired with a pieced strip section along the bottom. I’m thinking that the solid brown will be great at the beach this summer.

The quilting is minimal – just straight line quilting along each seam line. I bound it in another Echino solid – this time in turquoise (which kind of disappears in these photos!) I think it measures right around 45″ square.

I definitely look forward to hanging out with the baby on this playmat/quilt this summer!

This entry was posted in baby, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Wonky/Improv Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to bright and colorful – an Echino baby playmat

Ohh I do like it – alot, nice work

Terri says:

This is definitely going to be a fun playmat to take to the beach! Love the bright colors. I also love the way you pieced the backing.

Madison says:

I just love it! You’ll have that forever…

Dianne says:

I love this one! Very bright and colorful…perfect for a playmat.

Lisa Mason says:

What a fun baby mat! So colorful, will keep a baby mesmerized for hours. We love that!

veronica says:

Oh WOW! This is fantastic,the colors are so great together. Beautiful work!

Parkerbuttons (Stacy) says:

lovely, Ashley; you have an eviable Echino collection :) I love this quilt!

Jessica says:

It looks lovely! The bright colors will definitely keep the baby’s attention.

Michele says:

So cute! Those fun fabrics will keep baby entertained. I know I could stare at them a long time!

EG says:

Oh, I love Echino. I just saw the Charlotte’s Web fabric for the first time the other day and now can’t find it anywhere. Love this quilt!

Connie says:

A lovely way to initiate your baby into a world of fabric and color.

niki says:

lovely~lots of work put into that one! great job.
    hey, i had a question for you, but i cannot find an email button :(
    can you email me? i am trying to look for the flea market fancy fabrics. I cannot seem to locate them.
    thanks!

Jo says:

It’s lovely, and probably great for giving baby lots of chances to focus on different shapes and patterns :)

Angela says:

beautiful! perfect for a playmat.

It is a perfect playmat and your baby will love it – he’ll be the envy of all the other babies at playgroup! I haven’t washed any of my echino…is it nice (softer) post-wash? I’ve only used it for bags, wallets and thread catchers.

Erica says:

Love it, how could anyone not smile at this quilt. The baby will adore all those bright colours. x

Jennifer says:

I just love it. The colors are so vibrant and fun. Perfect for a playmat. Just another one of your successes!

Kate says:

I love this!! I just got a bunch of echino fabric as a birthday present from my very sweet husband and am planning to make a throw blanket (not really a quilt, I am using the patchwork fabric to start and then will do some light quilting), and some pieced pillows. Great inspiration!

oh echino, how i love thee! i just got some great echino myself, now i definitely better get going. love your design!!!

Thi has to be one of my favourite quilts ever! Honestly, I love it! Hope little one does too :)

Kelly Rachel says:

Wow…this is *incredible* (think Napolean Dynamite seeing his prom suit…)

Sony says:

This is so, so lovely! I love the colors and the improvisation. Thanks for the inspiration!

so cheerful, love this! you should hang it on the ceiling for the little bambino to stare at ;)

Krystal muller says:

So bright, it’s wonderful! When you quilt, do you use a walking foot? I’ve never gotten the hang of the walking foot – I find my normal foot/settings offer more pressure, and therefore much less shifting of the three layers. Any tips?

Mama Lew says:

I love this quilt. So colorful and creative!