something knit, something sewn from a knit

Both things I don’t do often, (or at all, as the case may be with sewing with knit fabric!). I was on a bit of a knitting kick for a little while though, and I thought that if ever I was going to attempt a sweater, now would be the time. A sweater in an infant size seemed manageable. And it was… sort of…

I selected the Baby Yoda sweater (free pattern here on Ravelry) because it looked the least complicated, and it was, until it came time to seam all those individual pieces together. Something went awry with the arms, but I’ve chosen to just ignore that and hope that once the baby’s wearing it, you won’t notice! Otherwise, it’s pretty cute! Let’s hope he can wear it at least once.

And then, since I was trying new things, I decided to try sewing with knit fabric. I’ve wanted to for a while, but have always been a bit afraid of it, not knowing the right way to sew with knits (and quite frankly, being too lazy to bother reading up on it!). I grabbed some of this Michael Miller knit fabric while it was on sale and decided to just go for it.

I used the Quick Change Trousers pattern again (one of my favorites from Anna Maria’s Handmade Beginnings book) but without the reversible aspect. Since the knit was just a plain solid, and since I had nothing else to pair it with, I used a bright green thread for a little extra color. And then I went wild testing out all the various stitches on my machine.

I still don’t know what the correct stitches are to use with knits, but these seemed to work! (definitely don’t come to me with any questions on sewing with knits!) They didn’t turn out too badly though, and while these don’t necessarily wow me, I’m sure they’ll get some use.

This entry was posted in baby, Clothing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to something knit, something sewn from a knit

Belinda says:

I had to smile!
    I have a 5 month old son, and I am not a knitter.
    I recently found the (Not-So-)Baby Yoda pattern, and I too decided that I could give it a go.
    I was so proud of myself, and going so well, until I made a couple of errors (but then fixed them – very pleased!), and then got to joining the pieces together. I too, am hoping that when he wears it, people will not look too closely!!

Funnily enough, I am also a huge fan of the Quick change trousers pattern – I made 3 pairs for my son while I was pregnant, and a pair for his cousin. I just made the Baby in the Hood jacket the other day, and am thrilled with the results (here http://www.flickr.com/photos/31905155@N08/5516832872/ and here http://www.flickr.com/photos/31905155@N08/5516832968/in/photostream/ ) I re-confirmed that I am definitely a sewer more than a knitter!

Anyway, just had to write a comment to share my amusement at our shared pursuits for our little ones!

pbach1 says:

sewing on knits? try a zig-zag (you need it for stretch), or a three-step straight stitch (on your stitch finder, it should look like three straight lines next to each other, or a roman numeral 3 without the serifs) or 3-step zig-zag (looks like a dashed zig-zag stitch). you may want to test for stretchiness (especially when you’ll have to pull ‘em on over diapers). or, just get a serger!

Wonky seams never matter on babies – they look so cute in handknits that no one ever pays any attention to how tidy the knitting/seaming is! I keep meaning to make a couple of pairs of the quick change trousers – I’ve only got a couple of weeks to go and they really need to move up the priority list!

Margaret says:

Those will probably end up being your favorite pants. So cute!

Connie says:

Hope to see pictures of baby dressed in all these mama-made clothes and wrapped in mama-made quilts.

Jennifer says:

Those are adorable and will be perfect over a cute onesie. I love the low seam in the back… I might have to make a pair (for my friends’ babies – mine are too big)

I think you will find that the simple stuff gets the most use and knits on babies are so easy to take on and off.

April says:

I am afraid of sewing knit, too! Though I really want to learn as I think it would be a useful skill to know. I don’t know much about the proper way to do it, but the pants look good to me! :)

I like the jumper, very snuggly. the pants look perfect :)

Laura Smith says:

I do have a tip for sewing knit fabric. There are special needles for your machines that are specifically for knits. This made a big difference for me. Not sure what the magic is, probably something to do with the point of the needle? It did run more smoothly through the machine and made the stitches more even. The pants look cute and I love the soft shade you used for the sweater!

Sar says:

I made the Baby Yoda sweater too for my nephew, and he grew out of it almost before my eyes. But it is an awesome little sweater.

Well that’s two successes in my book. Good for you!

Trisha says:

So cute! Don’t you love the baby yoda sweater pattern? I made one for my nephew and he wore it for a long time. I made a big mistake seaming it and not using the mattress stitch. I learned my lesson. Now when I seam a sweater I always use the mattress stitch.

gret says:

Oh, that is divine! Right up my alley. Gorgeous little dress. :)

Jenna says:

I made the baby yoda sweater too, and also had problems with it. Hmm…maybe it’s not us!