a pillow for the baby’s room

So appropriate, right? The gray, the yellow, and of course those cute long-legged birds to match the decals on the wall. Are they sandpipers? I don’t really know my birds, but that’s what I’ve been calling them.

As soon as I saw Laurie’s new designs for Spoonflower, I knew they’d be perfect in this room. I was especially excited that she had designed a pillow panel to go along with the line. The panel is designed to fit a 16″ pillow, but of course the one I had on hand to cover was a 20″ pillow. I decided to cut it apart a bit to add in a few extra fabrics to increase the size.

It’s very lightly quilted with some horizontal zig zag lines and I backed it in a great wide gray and white stripe, complete with a bit of yellow at the envelope closure. I love seeing it when I enter the room – it’s definitely a fun little addition to this room!

Next up? I’d like to come up with a plan for a little matching quilt using these coordinating prints from Laurie’s new line (available here)…

This entry was posted in baby, Household Goods and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to a pillow for the baby’s room

Beth says:

that is SO lovely. nice touch alternating the stripes on the pillow back. i LOVE the wall color! so serene. :o)

Natalie says:

Oh my word, I love the sandpiper theme! What a fabulous idea for a nursery– or any room, really!

randi says:

too cute! laurie’s new collection is just great!

Leila says:

I love Laurie Wisbrun’s new fabric line!! It’s a perfect match with your room how fantastic!

Your pillow cover is just beautiful Ashley and it looks beautiful on your rocker. I knew you would do something amazing with it, but as always, your creativity astounds me. Really lovely! And now I can hardly wait to see what quilt creation you come up with!

Lisa says:

Cool. I’ve been into greys and yellow (with little pops of springy green and blue) this winter, too. I love the idea of pillow panels… for a minute I was thinking you did all that as an applique!

Thanks for sharing this – I’m waiting for my LW pillow panel to arrive!!!

Kar says:

What a great pillow! The colors are so untraditional but perfect. And the decal on the wall is awesome! Can’t wait to see the quilt to match. :)

Kim says:

I would highly recommend a quilt to go over the back of the chair. Little babies like, no LOVE to spit up over their mamas shoulders when they are being rocked & burped. I nice sandpiper quilt will save your chair cover from many trips through the wash!

Saree says:

I love the colour combination and the birds. Great work!

Lisa Gapen says:

Well… that blog post just cost me $$. Went right on over to Etsy and ordered some of this line! gorgeous…

Kathy says:

Lucky baby….sweet fabrics…whimsical… creative, pair you and Laurie! Thank you for sharing so much of this time in your life.

Yellow and Gray are fantastic together – Love it

chris says:

such a gorgeous little pillow and I absolutely love the decal on the wall. This may very well be the hippest baby boy room ever!

Sheri I. says:

The pillow and wall decal are perfect. Where did you find the sandpiper wall decal that coordinates so perfectly with the pillow panel? It’s all so lovely!

Munaiba says:

That’s a lovely pillow and I think the stripey back complements it beautifully.

Jessica says:

Awesome pillow! Such detail and coordination with the room!

margaret says:

I love this pillow! It’s amazing… I’m going to have to order some of this line.
    But I’m curious where I can get the grey and white big striped fabric (and the yellow) you used for the backing? I love the grey and white stripes with that little touch of yellow.

Susan McKey says:

Yes. Sandpipers. I grew up with then on Cape Cod, and yearn for them since living in PA. So lovely in a child’s room. They epitomize freedom and impulse and sunshine.

Best to you.

susan

Bessiemae says:

You are brilliant! I loved those panels the minute I saw them, but I never would have thought of changing it how you did–just beautiful!

Steph says:

waking up to your beautiful works of art is inspiring. It makes me want to skip work every day and stay home to sew!

Marianne says:

Very nice! The birds look to be Ibis. I live in Florida and see them out my window every day. I love the chair you have the pillow on. I outfitted my daughter’s room with one, but she would never take to it!

Kate says:

Love this fabric, I am getting a bundle of the coordinating prints for my birthday to make pillows for our couch and I am so excited!! Can’t wait to see the fabric in person and play with it!

susan says:

And you notice that one of the birds is “nesting”? ;+)

Lindy Winnell says:

Your design is lovely. Love the birds, and the restful colors. Beautiful!

April says:

I love your pillow design–so much more interesting in the 20″ pieced version you did! And I think they’re sandpipers. But don’t quote me on it. :)

Kelly says:

I love the gray and yellow! It a color scheme that’s been creeping into my home over the last few years and I’m definately inspired by what you’re doing with it! Question: where did you find the wide white and gray stripe? I’ve been looking for something like that. I would appreciate you sharing your source (if you remember!) Thanks!

29. Pingback: FITF: 40 weeks… and a peek at the nursery | Film in the Fridge

What a match – It is a great fit!

31. Pingback: FITF: perfectly perched in plum | Film in the Fridge