colorblock plusses…a boyish baby quilt

I can’t decide which I like more on this quilt – the random plus signs, or the shades of blue colorblock background. I had no real design in mind when I pulled out this stack of fabric – I was mainly thinking that I wanted to get a chance to use some of that cute Heather Ross gnome fabric. I didn’t want to cut it up too much, so I went with that large plus sign in the bottom left, and from there just started making up plus signs of various sizes.

The colorblock background came about because I didn’t have enough of any one blue solid, which is good, since I really like the mix of blues in the background. And those little squares and strips? Just a little something extra!

I used the dark blue solid for the majority of the backing, along with a wide strip of all the prints from the front.

As far as quilting goes – I was going to stipple it, but then, due to sheer laziness I went with the predictable random straight lines (the larger sewing machine I use for free motion quilting is put away, and I had no interest in dragging it out and setting it up. I’ve had my eye on a Janome Horizon for some time now – seems like I could replace my two machines with the one which would do everything I need…. if anyone has one and has opinions, I’d love to hear them!).

Anyway, for now this quilt will get added to the baby’s pile ‘o quilts. Though that pile is getting a bit too tall so some editing might be in order!

Previous post about this quilt here.

This entry was posted in Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Liberated Quilts, [search] Wonky/Improv Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to colorblock plusses…a boyish baby quilt

Jody says:

Love it – great binding!

EG says:

Those shades of blue are great, and I REALLY love the back of the quilt! And I think the random straight lines are perfect. It’s a great quilt.

Alissa says:

Awesome quilt! I love the color blocking too. And you know my feelings on the Horizon… I love love love it. Zero disappointments. Just a great machine. Drop me a line if you have specific questions about it.

blueadt says:

It’s gorgeous!

I’ve found your blog recently & am new to sewing/quilting and keep coming back for inspiration :)

Parkerbuttons (Stacy) says:

lovely! I love the way you “organize” blocks and the little thin strips and as a PP said, the binding is super!

Leila says:

Love this quilt!!
    The only opinion I have on the Janome Horizon is that I want one!

Melissa says:

What a great quilt! And am so impressed that you made it without a pattern!!!!!

chris says:

what a perfect little boy quilt….love the quilting. Alissa does love her Horizon, so you really should talk to her about it, she had been on sewing machine cloud 9 ever since she received it.
    I am really curious about one of the fabrics in this quilt (it is in your starburst quilt also) the dark blue with the light blue plant like leafs on it. Every time I see you use that fabric I think “that would be the perfect fabric for Davis” but I don’t know what it is. Can you give me the info please? Hopefully it isn’t some out of print hard to find fabric….but knowing my luck, it is!

Jenny Da says:

Great boy quilt! Love how you color blocked the quilt, too. Whimsy without going overboard.

Beth says:

LOVE the front and the back! Always fun and inspiring to see what you come up with :)

Megan says:

Ashley, when you do the random straight-line quilting, do you just start from one edge and go across? Or do you begin a line in the middle and then go back to the middle to finish to the other edge? I’ve always heard that the quilting MUST start from the center–but is that necessary with random lines?

Love this quilt, by-the-by, as i do all your projects!

• 14
      ashley says:

Hi Megan,

On this quilt I drew on the quilting lines with a washable marker before quilting. I don’t find there’s any need to start quilting from the center of the quilt, though I do start (edge to edge) with one of the longer quilting lines going through the center. I try to work my way out with those quilting lines that run through the middle of the quilt and then ending with those closest to the edges. Hope this helps!

ellesquare says:

“baby’s pile o quilts”?? do share!

What a perfect boy quilt. I especially love the little 3 nesting crosses in the upper middle.

My mother has a Horizon and won’t shut up about it. She loves it more than me I think. Ha!

Sophia says:

I really love this one Ashley!!! My little man would love to have one like this!!! Another one for the “to do” list for me!
    You are killing me girl! :-)

Sophia says:

oh, what color blue is that on the back? is it a kona???

Kristin says:

I love this quilt! Beautiful! No help on the Janome, though. I love my Bernina, except for the price and their idiotic pricing on feet!

niki says:

gorgeous~where do you find the time for all this quilting?

virginia says:

i’d be cautious on the janome horizon… there are definite problems with some of the models being sold out there… i had a lemon and had to fight really hard to get rid of it… i posted up some of my problems on flickr and had a lot of people contact me who’d also had problems with the horizon… i think the machine has great potential, but needs to have the bugs ironed out first… i wouldn’t ever buy a brand new on the market machine again… i would only buy a tried and tested model (especially at that price point :)

Cristin says:

Its delicious – baby boy is going to love it! Drool, spitup, and who knows what else will cover it at times, but thats what baby quilts are for! ;-) Well done :-)

Ashley, this is so different for you. And, I love it! It’s so free and funky. The quilting is a perfect compliment to the design.

Meghan says:

Wow, Ashley, it’s just gorgeous! It has such an awesome, free feel to it.

Denise says:

I absolutely love this quilt. It is magical.

Kate says:

I love the randomness (?!) of this quilt, beautiful!

And as for machines, I am off on Thursday to buy a semi industrial machine that I will use for quilting, going to keep my little Bernina for all my piecing and general sewing stuff.

I looked into the Janome but I knew it would have a heap of feautres that I already have on the Bernina (and don’t use), and I specifically wanted something that has a bigger neck.

Good luck, it is so confusing tyring to pick machines!

Traci says:

I totally adore this. You are truly a design genius. I could just drool over your quilts all day. :)

Jo says:

Love the use of all the blues without being as typically boyish as most Boy quilts.

Nikki says:

This quilt is fabulous!
    I just replaced my two machines with the Horizon! I had a quilting frame, but we are moving across the country and we won’t have room for it. I sold it assuming that I’d quilt on my Bernina 640, but after some thought I decided to look at the Horizon again. (I first tested it the weekend it came out.)
    I’m *really* happy with the switch. There certainly were some issues with the first release, but I think a lot of that has been worked out. I also contemplated the Bernina 820, and there were just as many complaints with it, imo. :) I bought in November and I think based on my serial # I have the 3rd release, and I haven’t had a single complaint. After 2 Berninas I would definitely say that Janome is the best value out there!
    If you want any more info about the Horizon, just let me know! All of the projects on my blog that I made from Thanksgiving through now were sewn and quilted on the Horizon if you want to see examples.

Kate says:

It is fantastic, love all the random crosses and the colour.

Erica says:

Beautiful! This is one of my favorites out of everything you have made!

Tyra says:

I absolutely LOVE the quilting design you used on this quilt. Great little boy quilt:)

Emmmylizzzy says:

I love how this one is so different from your usual quilts. No block pattern, mixing different fabric lines – fantastic!

Kate Conklin says:

The Janome Horizon is my dream machine – the one I’d get if money was no issue. I have the Janome 1600p QC, which is the straight line version – so it doesn’t do any zig zag stitch (or any other fancy stitches for that matter) – and I just love it! I don’t think you could go wrong with the Horizon. Exciting stuff!

erica says:

Great quilt Ashley! I am in depserate need of a new machine and have been to the Bernina shop 3 or 4 times to try machines and haven’t been happy with my customer service :( I have been doing a lot of research on machines lately…The Janome Horizon is at the top of my list. Saving my pennies…
    good luck!

anna says:

beautiful quilt Ashley! I love that you didn’t have a particular plan in mind with this one, and it’s really stunning. I also love the random straight line quilting. As for the horizon, it looks amazing, I have a janome, but don’t do enough quilting to justify the upgrade to the horizon. I know a few people that have them and they really love them if that means anything! :)

Laurel H. says:

Leah, the woman who has the 365 free motion quilting designs blog, bought a Janome Horizon and has written extensively about her experience with it. You might want to check out her blog…

Heather says:

I absolutely LOVE the randomness of this! The blue color blocks are wonderful!

tara says:

ooh, those gnomes are perfect!

Angie says:

Lovely quilt – as are all your others! How do you get your quilting lines so straight all the way across without some sort of guidelines to help you?

Patricia says:

In regard to your machine buying I really love my Bernina Aurora 440 Quilters edition. I also bought the embroidery module, I just could not help myself.
    I piece and quilt on this machine with ease, I have the walking foot of course that came as part of the package as well as the BSR stitch regulator for free motion quilting, this also came with the machine. I just can’t fault this machine, I bought my first Bernina in the 1970′s and still have it, this new one is used almost every day, I am an avid sewer.

43. Pingback: FITF: big diamond, little diamond – a straight line quilting pattern | Film in the Fridge

Kelly O. says:

i have the horizon and LOVE it!!! Mine was purchased in December or 2010 and it’s the 3rd release–haven’t had a bit of trouble yet!