an Anna Maria Horner Rubik’s Crush quilt

Thank you all so much for all the great comments on my last Anna Maria Horner Innocent Crush quilt. When the Innocent Crush line came out, I bought fat quarters of the whole line, and ended up using them in their separate color palettes for two quilts. And now I’m happy to be able to show you the second quilt — this one made out of the Swept Away palette of the Innocent Crush line.

I started this one last Fall, and showed you all the quilt top surrounded by some lovely fall leaves (wow, that seems like a long time ago!). Then I got it all finished up and snapped a few photos at the very end of last year, just before mailing it off to the great people at Interweave.

And I’m so very pleased to tell you that you’ll soon be able to see this one in an upcoming magazine, published by Interweave, called 101 Patchwork Projects. It’s a super-sized magazine filled with patchwork projects, both big and small. And you’ll be able to find instructions for making your own Rubik’s Crush quilt, should you like this design!

For the backing of this one, I used this great orange print from the same line (which also happens to be the same print I used for the backing of the Rectangle Squared quilt – apparently it’s a favorite of mine!). I didn’t correctly calculate how much I’d need, so ended up piecing in some of the leftover prints from the front. The binding is a chocolate brown solid.

I’m totally excited to see this one in print, so I’ll be hanging around the bookstores waiting to see a copy. It’s due out in mid April!

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Other Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to an Anna Maria Horner Rubik’s Crush quilt

Tanis says:

Beautiful! I love how you left some larger squares of fabric, Anna Maria’s fabrics are so stunning that it’s really nice to be able to see them in larger scale. So exciting that it will be in a magazine, congrats!

I absolutely adore the picture with the barn in the shot. So lovely! Congrats on getting in print again. Sounds like a cool issue.

Greta says:

Oh, my, I love this one! Such elegant lines, so many possibilities, although I would love to make it in the Innocent Crush fabric. Come April, I’ll be looking for the 101 Patchwork Patterns. But I don’t have to wait until April to buy the fabric!

Great pattern, and it looks wonderful in those fabrics!

I love the way the rubik’s cube blocks are all at different positions within the sashing! Just the kind of wonkiness I can cope with.

Sequana says:

I’m happy to see that even you can miscalculate something. *S* Makes me feel better.

I’ll be on the look for that zine…..I love how your patterns turn out. Always beautiful.

tayamg says:

Congrats on having that pattern in the magazine! It’s a great one and I’ve been looking forward to the construction info.
    Nicely done!

EG says:

Oh, I’m so in love with this quilt. Remind us when the magazine comes out! (I’m sure you will!)

EG says:

Oh, just in case we wanted to go ahead and order our fabric to be just like you :) can you give us a sneak peek of what we need? A fat quarter bundle of Innocent Crush in Petal, obviously. Some solids in white or cream (how much?). And how much backing if we wanted to do it solid like your original intent?

I love your Rubik’s Crush pattern!! My son would die for this in some boyish colours….hmmm. I am really looking forward to the 101 mag coming out.

Laura Baker says:

I love the offset of the smaller squares. This is something I would love to try. I will look for the issue in April. Congratulations!

susyd9 says:

I absolutely LOVE it! I can’t wait for the magazine and your pattern!! I’m finishing up a imitation of the quilt you made with Laurie Wisbrun’s original Urban Zoo and have vowed never again to try a quilt without a pattern.

Erin Waters says:

The quilt is georgous! I love this line so much already & love the way the prints look in that quilt.

Kathleen15 says:

Simply Gorgeous!

CJ says:

Great quilt! I will have to be on the lookout for the magazine.

Flying Blind says:

Fantastic quilt, but can’t quite imagine you hanging round anywhere in April – you may be a little ‘busy’!!

mel says:

love it!!! your quilt is stunning!!

Dani says:

Ooh, that’s really pretty! I am looking forward to seeing that magazine, I love patchwork.

Jen says:

Is it sad that I appreciate the loveliness of that quilt as much as the visions of grass?!? This is really lovely!

Andrea says:

Congratulations on another published pattern! I love this pattern (well, really I love all your patterns). I have to admitt that I didn’t immediately love the Innocent Crush line, but now after seeing it in some of your beautiful quilts, I’m head over heals with it.

Dawn says:

Oh I love it, I think this one will be on my 2011 list of quilts to make.

katielea says:

I’m starting to feel some love for Innocent Crush. Thanks for sharing this quilt!

Jessica F. says:

Wow, Girl, that is beautiful!

Beth says:

COngrats on being featured in a magazine…that is so awesome (and so is your quilt!!!)

Angie says:

Wow – this is breathtaking! I love the colors and especially love the small squares. Beautiful.

Erin says:

Absolutely stunning! Congrats on being featured.

W-O-W
    This really is fantaaaaastic. My favorite part is how you placed the little squares off center within the white blocks. It deserves to be in a publication from Interweave. I am impressed ( and that is hard to do after all the beautiful quilts you have shown us before this one).
    Carolina

Lisa LeBlanc says:

Oh my…that is so beautiful…you are amazing…I love your work. Lisa in Texas

Brooke says:

“Swept away” perfectly describes how I feel about those colors. You did an amazing job (as usual) of showcasing those fabrics!

Christine says:

Wow, another BEAUTIFUL quilt from you.

Pamela says:

I love visiting your site. I come here often but don’t comment much! Hello. I love this quilt. You have inspired me. I love nine-patches. Putting this on my to-do list.

36. Pingback: FITF: 101 Patchwork Projects (+giveaway!) | Film in the Fridge

Patti Parks says:

This is one of my favorites of your designs! Colors are great and the design seems easy but looks very clean & crisp! Congrats on getting it in the magazine, Patti

June says:

Your quilt is beautiful. I think I’m going to have to look up the magazine and make a Rubik’s Crush of my very own.

YOU are SEW TALENTED… THIS IS a FAVORITE!

40. Pingback: FITF: rubik’s crush pattern | Film in the Fridge

41. Pingback: WIP-Gingham Quilt | OccasionalPiece–Quilt!

jody deschenes says:

i love a quilt that includes simple large pieces of fabrics to showcase them – this is a great mix of that and then the small squares which are more about piecing and THAT look – love it, perfect combo! and i got here because a friend made a quilt inspired by this, which i was then inspired by…so your Rubik’s quilt has a cousin in California and a second cousin (table runner) in Colorado (: (sheesh, that is onelongbad sentence!!) (:

jody deschenes says:

p.s. i think your miscalculation was serendipitous, cuz the back is way more awesome/interesting/fun with the pieced part than it would’ve been otherwise!