colorblock plus quilt progress

Do you remember this stack of fabrics?

I pulled them out a while ago with the intention of making a baby quilt. They sat (right in that same spot!) for quite some time, until the other day when I decided to go ahead and cut into them. At the last minute I decided I wasn’t loving the red prints, so I replaced the red with orange. I also grabbed several solid blues for the background.

I wasn’t sure exactly how the design would come together. In my mind, I was just thinking about different sized plus blocks on a colorblock background. As I was piecing it though, I kept feeling like it needed a little more, so I added in random strips and little snippets.

This is the bottom 2/3rds of the quilt, so I still have the top portion to finish, but I think I quite like it so far!

And of course it was fun to use a bit of these fabulous Heather Ross gnomes. I think this is the first time I’ve used them in a quilt! (yay me for no longer hoarding them!)

This entry was posted in baby, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to colorblock plus quilt progress

kelly says:

i love those gnomes! i have ONE measly 4″ square that went into an i-spy quilt.

Andie says:

Good call on the orange. Really liking this! And who doesn’t like gnomes?

Kathleen15 says:

Verrry interesting. Not your usual look. I like the little pieces spread here and there. More visual interest. Always love the gnomes.

Jeni says:

Looking fantastic! I love all the different size pluses! :)

jessica says:

This is a really cool one. God I love those gnomes, too. I have the pink ones!

tara says:

it’s so hard not to hoard heather ross prints! i have some goldfish in bags that i’ve never used because i can’t bear to cut them.

Erica says:

Beautiful! This is one of my all time favorite quilts from your collection. Very cool! I have been contemplating doing an improvisational quilt. Being new to quilting, I am not sure that I am ready too though. I love how special and unique this quilt is.

Alissa says:

Oh I’m loving this!! Can’t wait to see it finished!

heather says:

yep… you sold me on this one with colors alone! ;)

jacquie says:

love the pop of orange! happy new year, ashley!

tammie says:

great choice on the orange!

Madison says:

Your quilts are so inspiring! I’ve been following your blog for quite a while now… and you never disappoint! And I know it’s old news now (sorta) but congratulations on the baby! I think we’re about a month or so apart (I’m 20 weeks). Yay!

what an interesting piece. can’t wait to see hot it turns out!

mjb says:

I like to see the direction you’re going in the last couple things you’ve posted – a little more improv/random, with interesting mixes of fabrics. Keep it up!

Brittney says:

Love the orange – good choice! I can’t wait to see how this looks finished, definitely a different take on the plus quilt with the extra little bits thrown in.

This is so neat! You are working with pluses and I made the same block and am calling them x’s. I really like the ad hoc feel of the blues and other pops of color. The orange is a nice touch too!

Love the change from red to orange. The gnomes are adorable. Maybe 2011 will be the year I get the courage to actually cut into my HR stash instead of just stare at it.

Emmmylizzzy says:

Very different from your usual stuff – I like different! Let’s see more different!

very interested to see how you quilt this one – keep us posted!

shannon says:

I love it! Beautiful work, i can’t wait to see the finished quilt.

Melissa says:

I have never posted a comment on anyone’s blog before. I just had to tell you that you have the most beautiful fabrics and quilts I have seen! Of course, the fabrics you use I have seen before, but the way you are able to put them together and your color choices are amazing! I am completely inspired by your blog! Thank you.