a fun new market bag!

Have you seen photos of Melody Miller’s upcoming line, Ruby Star Rising? It’s gorgeous, and printed on a great linen/cotton blend, which I think is perfect for all kinds of projects. Lately I’ve been liking this weight for market bags.

So when Melody Miller generously sent me a few of the prints from her new line (thank you, thank you, thank you!), my thoughts immediately turned to a new market bag. One can never have too many, really.

I decided to use this fabulous viewmaster print — I didn’t have quite enough to make the entire bag out of this print, so I paired it with a great Echino chocolate brown solid, also in a linen/cotton blend. I used my standard market bag tutorial, but upped the size, and then gave it a bit of an L.L. Bean tote bag look, with a solid colored bottom and extending the straps along the outside of the bag.

The inside is lined in a great aqua solid, complete with a generously sized pocket. And may I just say how much I love it? I love looking at Melody Miller’s fun print, and of course I’m always excited to have a new bag to add to the rotation!

This great new fabric line should be available soon. I don’t know a date – does anyone out there have an idea? I do know that I’ll be stocking up though!

My market bag tutorial can be found here.

I've adjusted the size to make for a larger market bag. If you'd like to make one in a larger size, here are the measurements:
*4 pieces for the main portion of the bag (2 for the outside, 2 for the lining): 14" x 20"
*2 pieces for the bottom (1 for the outside, 1 for the lining): 6" x 14"
*4 pieces for the straps (2 for the outside, 2 for the lining): 2" x 27"

This entry was posted in Fabric, Household Goods and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to a fun new market bag!

Terri says:

Love it! I think that viewmaster print is perfect for the outside. Love the brown bottom and aqua lining too, making this durable and colorful. I am definitely going to make another of your market bags with these modifications. Always fun to have such a cool new bag!

heather says:

a s h l e y!!! yours looks great!! now i need a bigger one like this! i’m lOVING the melody miller!!! fantastic!

Faith says:

That is so cute! I need to check out your tutorial, love market bags!

I got my 4 year old a real viewmaster for Christmas. I can’t wait to see if she loves it as much as I did when I was little. :)

I grew up with viewmaster. LOVE the print. And the adjustments for the bag.

Nikki says:

Very cute bag! I really like the changes you made. I need to make up a few cute ones, then maybe I won’t forget them in the car like I do right now!

The print is adorable, I love how designers are taking old ideas and images to create modern fabric.

Holly says:

I love this! The viewmaster print is amazing and the brown on the bottom is a very smart idea. I really need to make myself a cute bag!

This fabric is so killer. I love that it’s printed on a linen/cotton blend. Perfect!

Ellen Ban says:

I think that viewmaster print is going to be one of my all time favorites! Can’t wait till it’s for sale! Happy Belated Birthday!

Very cool bag! I love the colors in that print.

Gorgeous and chic! I love it!
    But I have to ask: does it sag around the top at all when it’s full? I made a similar bag and have trouble with the top part flopping inward. I’m guessing that topstitching over the handles might fix it? I’d love your advice! :)

Oo that looks great! I love the new fabric line and I will have to snatch some up.

xoxo
    Lauren @ Craft My Life Away

Elizabeth D. says:

That viewmaster print is just darling! I love all the sneak peeks I’ve seen of this collection so far, and your bag is a perfect showcase for it! Can’t wait for this line to come out :)

Nova says:

loving’ the Melody Miller! Looks great as a market bag Ashley :)
    x

Emmmylizzzy says:

Okay, I definitely need this viewmaster print!

Angela says:

Okay, I’m loving that Melody Miller line! I can’t wait to get some of that fabric, it looks so cute as a bag. And I’m going to have to try out your pattern, I always love a new bag. :)
    Hope you are feeling great! xx

erica says:

Love, love, love this bag and fabric. Thanks for reposting the links to the tutorial, I need to make a bag for Christmas…just in time. Thanks Ashley!