a couple small finishes

I’m not exactly sure why the flamingos were out the other day, but I did kind of appreciate it, seeing as it made for a fun surrounding for photos of this baby Dream On quilt! I know you’ve seen this one before, so I’ll be brief – just another cute baby quilt made out of a couple charm packs of Urban Chicks Dream On line.

This one is backed in one of my favorite florals from the line, and then bound in a great pink. Cute and cheerful – perfect for a little girl! It’ll be listed in the shop in case anyone needs a last minute gift!

As for other projects… I’ve been doing a little knitting!

I usually get an urge to knit one or two things during the winter. Unfortunately since it’s so infrequent, I spent most of my time re-learning all the steps! This year might be a banner year for knitting though – so far I’ve made myself a new scarf, a hat, a set of baby legwarmers, and I’m working on a pair of baby pants. (we’ll see how that goes!)

I’m impressing myself, since typically I go no further than a simple scarf! (thank you youtube and all the various knitting tutorials!)

If anyone knows of any other fun, quick (and easy!) knitting patterns, let me know!

This entry was posted in 2010 Finished Quilts, baby, Finished Quilts, Quilts, [search] Charm Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to a couple small finishes

Your quilt is cute! I have a charm pack of Dream On sitting on my shelf that I’ve been thinking of sewing up — this is encouraging me to dust it off and start sewing.

amanda says:

have you joined ravelry yet? it’s really fun and makes it real easy to navigate through all the patterns out there!

woolcat says:

Totally join Ravelry! They have an excellent search tool for patterns. You can filter them by type of garment, and whether it’s free, or downloadable, or whether it has stripes or cables or whatever you like. It is GREAT for finding patterns – and when you find one you like, you can do a search of everyone on Ravelry who has made that project and what they thought about it. You can tell which ones are most popular.

It is pretty addictive though.

Raven says:

Okay Ashley – those legwarmers are awesome! You can no longer describe yourself as a Scarfy(one who only knits scarves). I think you are actually a knitter! However, I will be a Scarfy forever – I’m sure of it :(

And I loved the bit of summer yesterday….thanks :)

Jennifer says:

You are so impressive Ashley! I think those baby legs are adorable. It’s been years since I’ve knit anything but my 6 week old little boy would be so cute in those. If only I had the time!

Love the quilt- made one out of that same line with a log cabin pattern for my 2.5 year old daughter for Christmas this year. I think she will love it.

Have a great day!

randi says:

you knit too? sheesh! you are one talented girl!

love that floraly quilt! very cute :)

Stephanie says:

Seriously – join Ravelry! Lots of free patterns (you can filter for free ones in a pattern search), and lots of information on techniques.

Ravelry is really the place to go. There are times I wish there was a website like that for quilting patterns.

Jackie Miller says:

I love that you are a woman of many trades :-) I do however have a question…. you have tutorials and all but it would be great if you included more tutorials. I think it is high time you put your own book together and got it published :-) I would be buyer number 1!!

Alexandra says:

If you aren’t already on Ravelry, you should join. I learned to knit from Knittinghelp.com

Megan says:

I didn’t know you could knit Ashley! I made those same leg warmies when I was pregnant with Lucy. I was just a “scarfy” too until I had her but after I had enough knitting a couple of baby sweaters I finally had the confidence to knit my own! And if you can do those leg warmers, socks will be a breeze, too. Elizabeth Zimmern’s Baby Surprise Sweater is the quintessential baby pattern and I have another simple top down baby cardigan pattern I’ll look for and send the link to you.

Whitney says:

OMG! Too cute. Wanna make me some? or arm warmers? I could really use some. I’ll even let you use the yarn in the above pic to make them. Aren’t I generous?

Wendy Ladd says:

I’m trying to learn to knit but I think crochet will be easier for me? Any tips on knitting? Like how to keep from dropping stitches???? ugh.
    Happy Holidays, Wendy ~ ShopTheFabricQuarter.com

Mary Beth says:

google Love Cocoon, there’s a free tutorial out there. I made one for my newborn and loved it! It’s perfect with organic cotton yarn you can find at JoAnn’s to use in newborn photos and just to snuggle in! This link http://www.knitty.net/blog/?page_id=1150 also looks supercute. I’m a little intimidated but am going to try it after Christmas when all my sewing is finished! I’ve never knitted a sweater before!

Katie says:

Ashley,

Will you tell us a little more about the leg warmers? They are too cute for words, and I would love to knit some up. Pattern? If no pattern, would you share the circumference for the leg and length? Thanks a bunch!

Katie
    katie.mills at hotmail.com

Marie says:

Hi,

I’d like to buy this quilt for my baby girl… any chance you would ship to Ottawa Canada?? Pretty please!

Marie

Beth says:

Too cute! I really must learn how to knit!

Amy K-P says:

ABSOLUTELY LOVE the quilt/ It’s just soo fresh & pretty. PERFECT for a baby! Great job (as ALWAYS)!

Sounds to me like this is the year for you – knitting wise! That’s a lot of projects completed, from where I’m standing. I’m hoping to start crocheting after Christmas…

Mystica says:

The prints used in the quilt are so very pretty. Color combination is just so right.

Kathy says:

Maybe being pregnant makes you crave things like knitting….and other nestie stuff.

Suzanne says:

Your stripes look great. I am so grateful for the internet. I’m an avid knitter and love the resources it provides for finding new patterns, refreshing a skill or learning a new one. Good luck!

aseemlylife says:

I made the mistake yesterday of going into a yarn shop. Why I do this two weeks before Christmas I will never know. I think it is because I am happy when my hands are Busy. “whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might”. I bought three kinds of yarn, I already wore the first scarf last night and started the 2nd when I got home at midnight.
    Your quilt is lovely by the way.
    Merry Christmas Ashley

Amy says:

Go to Lion Brand Yarn’s website – they have a lot of great knit and crochet patterns! You will sometimes see the product in different colors too. Plus, people leave feedback on the patterns (I have found that to be VERY helpful!) All the patterns are free.
    They have the absolute best website of any yarn company. Good Luck!

Lexi says:

I really love this pattern [http://www.leethal.net/patterns/booties.html], especially since it’s getting really cold now & I need something to keep my toes warm.

I just saw a great free pattern for fingerless gloves over on CraftyPod.

April says:

Those legwarmers are awesome. Happy knitting. I respect the trade but don’t need yet another sewing skill to keep me from quilting. So I let my husband learn. The only problem with it is that he doesn’t quite finish projects. Still waiting on my scarf he started a year or two ago. haha. ;)

Marie says:

Ashley,

I received the quilt (so happy it arrived in time for Christmas!). It is absolutely stunning! I can’t get over how perfect your squares line up!! I love, love, love the colours. Thanks!!