summer sherbet plus quilt… (in the middle of winter!)

It seems a bit strange to show you this very summery quilt in the middle of December. As I look out the window, the wind is howling, there’s snow on the ground, and it’s only about 18 degrees — quite the opposite of this quilt which reminds me of warm sunny days, flip flops, suntan lotion and popsicles!

This quilt was one I started near the end of the summer, then found that those bright colors did not agree with me during the early part of my pregnancy. I’m happy that’s no longer the case, since I do really love the bright sherbet-like colors of this quilt!

The front is a great plus design, made up of 3 1/2″ squares. (I’ve seen lots of similar quilts online, and I always love how they look, so I had to break down and make my own!). I used a number of solids, including some linens and a shot cotton, as well as a couple prints, including a couple really gorgeous Liberty of London fabrics.

For the backing, I simply pieced together the leftover fabrics, cutting and sewing until they all fit together.

And even though it’s kind of summery for this time of year, I may just have to leave it out so I can dream about warmer days!

This entry was posted in 2010 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Charm Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to summer sherbet plus quilt… (in the middle of winter!)

Cara says:

Wow! This quilt looks so bright and cheery. I love the mix of solids and prints.

randi says:

so so pretty! i like to think that warmer days are just around the corner! :)

Sarah C. says:

Such a beautiful quilt, and how cheery on a dreary winter day!! So glad you finished it!!

Terri says:

Makes me think of summer too! We’re having the same weather here in the upper Midwest, so I love staring at this colorful quilt. Looks like it was a fun funish!

Ana says:

Your quilt is very lovely, and really brings some sunshine to the winter gloom. The pattern is really effective, and I think you got just enough prints in to make it interesting without looking too busy. I’m not a big quilter but this might just be one I have to make.
    Happy Wednesday!

Lisa says:

Gorgeous! I think the bright pop of color is enlivening against the stark, washed out colors of winter.

Carla says:

Ashley, I love the bright punch of colors in this quilt and the simple design. Your photography against the barn is beautiful as well! Great post.

niki says:

hey, here in arizona it’s always sunny ;)
    i love it!
    can you share what pattern you used for this fun quilt?

Beautiful combination of fabrics–I love all the solids with a few prints thrown in.

Erica says:

Beautiful! With the cold weather that we are experiencing right now, this cheerful, beautiful quilt is sure to brighten your day.

Susanne says:

What BEAUTIFUL work. I LOVE the back of this.

Lila Jo says:

The colors are so bright and cheery! I love it!

Whitney says:

I really love this one now that it’s all done – and love that it no longer makes you sick! Just remembering you piecing it on the floor at cedar beach brings me back to summer. Ah, the days of yore…

Andrea says:

Just what I needed to see today! Beautiful!

Love how happy this is!! The colors do wonders to brighten my mood and I like it against that grayish wintery day — neat photos too! How big is it all finished up?

Lorraine says:

this is gorgeous … I am besotted with cross/plus quilts too just now .
    love the colours !!!

Susan K from Canada says:

What an amazing picture – the wonderful quilt in front of the barn – I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is stunning.

Andrea says:

This is not a colour palate I’ve had the courage to use yet, but I just love it! As always, you pick stunning backgrounds to use in your photos! Thanks for more great inspiration.

Emmmylizzzy says:

So cheerful for a dreary day like today!

It is a really harmonious happy quilt. So inspired it makes me want to start a similar one right away. Just lovely.

Kelli says:

Love, love, love it! That is my kind of color scheme–so bright and cheery. Who couldn’t use some cheering up during winter?

Anne says:

soooooooooooo lovely!

Fran says:

This quilt is spirit lifting.

Shannon says:

Very pretty quilt! I love making a fun backing on quilts, it’s like two quilts in one:)

DelishMag says:

Darn, I can’t see the backing for some reason…but — this is such a great quilt!! I am definitely making one of these in the new year…I think even in Queen size (GASP!! So much work!!) for our bed.

Thank you for the links, too. I actually think this is something this beginner could do!

Your site is, as always, a total inspiration.
    Tamara
    Editor-in-Chief
    Delish Magazine

29. Pingback: Quilt for Baby Ayla « Rabbit Style News

Do you have the pattern for this quilt?