what I’m working on this week…

This weekend I spent some time making quilt backs. For far too long I’ve been just making quilt tops and then storing them in the closet. I finally decided to pull them all out and get them finished (it would be really fun to have them all finished before the end of the year, but I don’t think that will actually happen!)

I made four quilt backs, and Morgan basted them for me so hopefully soon there will be some finished quilts to show!

Remember this quilt? I started this one at the end of the summer, right around the same time I found out I was pregnant. For some reason, the colors in this one made me sick every time I saw it, so it was quickly hidden away in the closet. But now I’m happy to see it again, and it was fun to make up this bright colorblock backing for it.

And even though I have a stack of quilts that need quilting, that doesn’t stop me from pulling out fabrics for new quilts. If there’s time, perhaps I’ll make a start on this boy quilt. I’ve been hanging onto this gnome fabric for far too long and it’s time to actually sew with it!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to what I’m working on this week…

randi says:

i am loving that stack of fabric goodness! can’t wait to see what it turns into!

Terri says:

Looks like a fun couple of projects to spend the week working on! I bet it feels great to be making progress on those quilt tops.

Fun quilt back! I love the pile of fabrics for your boy – I hope you get to it soon :)

Alissa says:

1) He bastes your quilts for you?!? Don’t let go of that one!! He’s a keeper! and 2) yes yes on the sewing with the gnome fabric. Especially easy to use the special fabric for your own baby I’d think!!

Alison says:

Your husband BASTES your quilts? The only thing my husband can baste is the turkey on Christmas Day and that’s if I’m lucky.
    Wow – i am well impressed ;-)

Alexandra says:

I’m really interested in your (husband’s) spray basting method? Could you tell me more about the logistics? (is the quilt on the ground, taped down?)

The gnome fabric caught my eye right away! adorable! I love making quilt tops as well, but then when it’s time to make the backing…I lose interest a little. I must learn to discipline myself!

Islay says:

I am religious about finishing a quilt before I start another (hand quilting is excluded from this, naturally! But I only have one of those on the go at a time). I know that if I let it slip even once I’ll end up with 30 quilt tops in my closet, and no actual quilts.

Andrea says:

Too funny…it’s been sixty years since my grandmother was pregnant with my mom, however there is still a shade of lime green that she cannot look at without getting a tiny wave of nausea. Glad to see that that lovely quilt is no longer causing it to you!

Shannon says:

I’m loving the fabric selection! Love the red pez and the blue one right above the red pez. Cant wait to see what you create:) Have fun!

Kathy says:

Ashley….saw this post and thought of you…http://ecosalon.com/name-that-eco-baby-2/
    Eco Friendly baby names, if you plese.

Diane says:

I love the rich browns you have in that pile. Wonderful with the gnomes.

Jo Sheather says:

That Morgan is a GEM.

Sarah says:

I have the same habit of making quilts then never quilting them….good for you! Good luck finishing before the end of the year!