an innocent crush quilt top

As soon as I received Anna Maria Horner’s Innocent Crush fabrics I knew I wanted to make something using the ‘Charmed’ colorway. As I mentioned earlier, this design was something I thought of a few weeks ago while unable to sleep. I was thinking about 3 1/2″ squares (big surprise, right?!) and how I could change it up a bit. I decided to go with just a single block design using squares and some white sashing which could be turned different directions to create a pattern.

I don’t usually add borders, but this one ended up a bit on the small size so I added the white borders. So to spice it up a bit, I added a few snippets of the scraps in the border.

This time we switched jobs and I held the quilt while Morgan snapped the photos. Turns out holding up a quilt isn’t really the most fun job!

The wind was a bit of a factor, and rather than blowing the quilt out in a nice “quilt blowing in the wind” kind of way, it turned and stuck itself to my body, which really doesn’t make for a very good photo! (I’ve decided against showing those here!)

I think I’ll be going back to my job as quilt photographer!

Innocent Crush fabrics can be found at these great shops!

Sew Fresh Fabrics
Hawthorne Threads
Fabricworm
Lola Pink Fabrics
Whipstitch
Pink Chalk Fabrics
Fresh-Squeezed Fabrics
Aunt Bea's Fabric
and for those who are local to Burlington, it's also available at Nido!.

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to an innocent crush quilt top

Suzanne says:

It’s lovely and besides, the wind lets us see the quilt dance.

randi says:

this quilt is very pretty! i think the white sashing sets off the fabrics perfectly! innocent crush is simply perfect.

thanks for adding my shop link to the post. :)

Flying Blind says:

I love the quilt and the railroad, and can’t wait to see future quilts modeled over your baby-bump!

WendyLou says:

Lovely, as always! STILL hoping for a few tips on taking creative photos. You are the BEST around for that!!

SallyB says:

I really like the variation on the square. It has turned out so pretty and fun.

heather says:

eeek! i think i see a tiny baby belly in this photo!! now…. YOU must always hold the quilt, so us mothers of terribly old children can live through your pregnancy vicariously!! haha

xo

Liza M. says:

I have to agree, I enjoy seeing the little peek of the baby bump! The quilt looks great too. Too many cute “creations” in one picture!

Sarah C. says:

Beautiful quilt, as always! I love to see simple blocks – they fit my current quilting philosophy – made to look so fabulous!

Suzanne says:

I love the look of this quilt!

Terri says:

cool quilt! I like the variation of squares and rectangles. I also like the framing/sashing around each. Looks like a fun photoshoot!

Whitney says:

It’s about time you realized that the holder doesn’t have much fun! (And shocked that Morgan actually got you to trade positions.)

Your quilt is so pretty, Anna’s new line is starting to grow on me.

Megan says:

Love this! And a quick finish! Pregnancy made me very creatively productive ( at least after the initial fatigue wore off!) so I’ll be scared to see how much you can crank out if it has the same effect on you!

It turned out beautiful, Ashley…and I like the photos too, Morgan did a good job!! I think those little pieces in the border are just the perfect touch.

Hannah says:

Love this!! I’ve had an approximately similar idea in my head for a long time, but I couldn’t ever figure out how to make it a reality (well, not easily, by any means). I’m ultra inspired by this one, though!

Lindsay says:

Beautiful! I just love this collection. It will be a while before I get my hands on it though.

Meg says:

I love this quilt so much – you are so talented.

Jan says:

Love this design. I, too, vote for being the photographer, instead of the quilt model. That’s what husbands are for! Among other things.

Cathy A says:

It looks great! I love the way the Bubble Burst in Turquoise kind of pops. And I think the border works very well on this quilt, too! I do love the Innocent Crush line!

Yep, I’m always glad to be BEHIND the lense whenever possible!

Kate says:

Love the addition of the white. Lovely and fresh!

EmmmyLizzzy says:

I love the addition of the rectangles – and you look so flipping cute :)

Sandy says:

Love the quilt top! Great idea. I am thinking of what I could do with this idea with a jelly roll….hmmmm…And, I can’t wait to see more of those baby bump pictures!

Tanya Seabrooke says:

I love the quilt a great way to use innocent crush. Any chance of a pattern or tips on sizing?
    Thanks Tanya

Love the fresh white fabric with IC! Fun design.

Susan Snooks says:

A quilt photographer AND a maker of beautiful quilts!

Kelli says:

I’m not usually big on borders either, but I really think the borders help on this one. They really set off that bright beautiful color. Great job on this one, as usual! :) And the three tiny squares in the bottom border are a great addition! Can’t wait to see it quilted…

Kim says:

Great design! I wish I could imagine things like that when I’m unable to sleep!

Fran says:

Hi Ashley, This is a pretty quilt with an uncomplicated block that really shows off the fabrics.

Would you consider adding a spot on your site where we ask you questions about your quilting, photography, etc. that are not related to a specific quilt or collection of fabrics? I am sure I am not alone in wanting to ask a few things. Thanks.

32. Pingback: FITF: rectangle squared – a quilt block tutorial | Film in the Fridge

How many fat quarters did you end up using? How much sashing?

34. Pingback: FITF: rubik’s crush quilt top | Film in the Fridge