starburst quilt – the munki version

Well, at least I got one thing checked off my list this weekend! While I didn’t manage to start anything new with that fun stack of fabric, I did find the time to get this little quilt quilted, bound and washed. (I was hoping for better weather for these photos, but I guess I have to take what I can get!)

I decided to use a lot of my favorite Heather Ross & Munki Munki prints in this quilt, along with similarly colored basics. I love that it makes for a really bright and colorful quilt, with lots to look at!

I used the Amy Butler Sunspots in green for the backing, and quilted it with lots of great straight lines. The lines meet in several spots to form a starburst pattern with the quilting. I couldn’t decide on the binding, but ultimately went with a purple solid to pull out the bits of purple used in the quilt top.

This quilt measures about 36″ square, and I can really imagine it as a great playmat for a little one. It is listed in the shop now!

Previous post about this quilt can be found here.

You can find the tutorial for this quilt block here.

This entry was posted in 2010 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Liberated Quilts, [search] Wonky/Improv Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to starburst quilt – the munki version

randi says:

what a great quilt!

i think the weather was perfect for your pictures. i love how the quilt pops out against the grayish background!

Faith says:

I just love the colors in this one. Great job :) And fall is certainly upon you there!

heather says:

i lOVE this one ashley!! it’s yummy with a capital Y! i say keep it and hang it… it’ll bring brightness through those long east coast winters! ;)

xo

Terri says:

this is a really fun quilt! I love all the cheerful colors used in these great blocks. I love the backing and binding fabrics you used to finish this. I’m a big fan of various line quilting, so I think the quilting works great for this design!

Megan says:

I love this one Ashley! The Munki looks great with all those coordinating prints. BTW, did you see I finished my quilt inspired by your “postcards”? Thanks for the inspiration once again!

Emily c says:

I love this quilt- the sunburst pattern and the fabrics you chose are perfect!! Wish I had the patience to make one like this

anna says:

oh that would be such a fun play mat! really adorable. love the flying quilt pictures

Annette says:

I like that a lot! One of my favorites so far.

Leone says:

Love the bright colours. Looks great.Would make a lovely play mat for a little one or for the cot. Like the nice legs behind the quilt.

Michelle says:

Wonderful! I just love bright, scrappy quilts. Some little one will be fascinated by all the colors and patterns.

I want it! I want it! Baby #3 is coming in less than 8 weeks! It would be great to have at the hospital for her!!!! Love, Love, Love it!

Kate Conklin says:

What a gorgeous quilt for a very lucky little one!

Jenna says:

thank you for being a constant source of inspiration for me!

erica says:

Ashley, this is such a happy little quilt…great work, lady!

Claudia says:

What a wonderful quilt! How do you prepare your quilts before quilting to avoid crumpling at the cross of the quilting lines? I tried to make such nice quilting grids like yours but there is such a lot of crumpling?

Maybe you can help me?

(Sorry for my bad english, it isn’t my home language.)

Claudia

Fun – that is the word that came to my mind when I saw it. An adult size one for a picnic would be fun as well. You are a master at choosing colors that go together. Carolina

Jessica P says:

Lovely lil quilt- and what GORGEOUS weather… I can feel the soft wind just looking at the photo!

mindy t says:

OH I want this sooo bad for my daughter. I am a quilter and have made her so many but this one just speaks to me. Cant wait for you to list this.

Barbara says:

Just beautiful! Very inspiring… Thanks for sharing!
    Barbara