a Hope Valley queen sized quilt for Erich

I know some of you thought I was being a tease by showing you only the binding on my latest finished quilt earlier this week, but to be honest, I had just finished it and I was pretty excited to have it done. Making a queen sized quilt is quite a feat! They’re also pretty large, so I had to wait until I could find myself some volunteers to hold it up for photos.

You may remember that this is the quilt I’ve been working on for Erich, who was the one to make me the absolutely gorgeous sewing table. We worked out a little trade, and I’m so happy about it, since I don’t know that I could otherwise afford his woodworking prices! Plus, trading is fun – I love having something he’s made in my home and I certainly hope that he and my sister enjoy having a handmade quilt on their bed!

Whitney selected Denyse’s Hope Valley line which we paired with Kona Coal (her solid of choice, and a good one for a more masculine quilt!). I adjusted the measurements of my Unfurnished quilt to work for a queen sized quilt, adding a column and increasing the width of each column. I love that it works out so that there are three columns along the mattress and 1 column on each side.

For the backing I used a lot of Kona Coal, with an offset pieced section to mimic the pattern from the front. I think it will also make for a fun change should they tire of the pattern on the front!

I’m really happy to have this one done, and I’m even happier that I managed to get it to Erich before the nights really started to get cold!

As much as I love large quilts, I think I’ll be taking a little break before I attempt another!

(oh, kind of unrelated, but I forgot to mention it previously – I now have threaded comments, so if you’ve asked a question, check back for an answer.)

More information about this particular quilt can be found in this post.

If you're looking to buy some Hope Valley, you can find most or all the prints at these shops - Pink Chalk Fabrics, Hawthorne Threads, or Fabricworm.

This entry was posted in 2010 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Quilts, [search] Wonky/Improv Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to a Hope Valley queen sized quilt for Erich

Jan says:

This is fabulous. I love this range of fabrics and am toying with buying some myself.

Erich says:

Ashley. thank you again, the amount of work is very impressive.

Audrie says:

Such a wonderful quilt! I love the trade… something for each of your homes that you made :)

Kaelin says:

This is absolutely beautiful. You’re right about the Kona Coal – it does make the quilt feel masculine even though there’s a lot of pinks and oranges and yellows…you did a great job making it gender neutral! I think my husband and brother-in-law will both love this quilt when I show them :)

P.S. I love the cluster of columns on the back…probably my favorite detail!

Anna says:

wow Ashley! this is so great. The back is just so beautiful too, love all the colors together. I would be so proud too if I ever would make a queen size quilt!

Mary Ann says:

Great quilt and I love the back too. I like large sizes quilts too but wow, they seem to go on for ever, especially if you’re doing lots of straight line quilting.

Kar says:

That turned out great! A very wonderful trade I must say. :)

Margaret says:

Love the colors in this quilt! Great job!

elsa says:

it’s really beautiful! the last photo looks like a stained glass window! thanks for sharing it!

Mary says:

SOOO nice! I love the idea of a trade too.

Terri says:

I really love this pattern! And I think the Coal color works perfectly with these fabrics, and for a “guy” quilt. It looks like a perfect fit on that bed. Such a cool trade!

Kat says:

Ok, the quilt was cool enough but then you showed that awesome stained glass effect! How neat is that!!! Very nice work!

Dolly says:

What a wonderful trade. You did a great job and deserve that table !

This is just beautiful, on and off of the bed.

How fun it’ll be to decorate around this quilt.

Megan says:

I love this one Ashley! Time for me to re-order Hope Valley! I’m working on a quilt inspired by your postcards in the park right now. I’m not sure if my method is the same but I’m loving playing with the wonkiness!

Ann says:

Absotively, posilutely wonderful. (I was looking at the quilt in the backlit picture and then I noticed the great cliff behind your sister. What a great spot !!!!!)

True confessions: I like the back more than I like the front and I, personally, like to make the bigger quilts. Call me a weirdo!

Shirley says:

did I mention I love this quilt??? Probably in a previous comment.
    I made a lap size one in slightly smaller blocks.
    I am interested in knowing what pattern or design you used to quilt yours.
    thanks

Nova says:

fabulous. I love the ‘window’ effect the clever piecing on the back creates in the last shot. so cool. x

Suzanne says:

The sun is so pretty shining through your beautiful quilt. I’m not sure who got the better end of the deal. That must be the sign of a fair trade.

I love big pieced quilts! What a great way to show off awesome fabric!

jessica says:

quick question, how are you piecing this quilt together? are you appliqueing it?
    thanks, jessica

Sarah C. says:

That is gorgeous, Ashley! Such a labor of love, and definitely a fair trade for your fabulous worktable!!

alisha says:

This is such a lovely quilt. I’ve thought a lot about what is a good size for a quilt. What is the most common size you make?

Amber says:

It is gorgeous – and I love, love, love the back!!

Lisa says:

This is a beautiful quilt! You have completely inspired me to make a Hope Valley quilt myself. Along with the Good Folks….Little Folks…and Far Far Away II…that you have inspired me to use. : )

I have a question about the Modified Bento Box quilt. You mentioned that you used about 10-15 prints and 5 solids. I will be making it in a twin size. Do you think using twice as many prints and solids will not create the same effect…make it too scrappy? Does it need less variety and more repeats in order for the pattern to show? Or will the size difference take care of that?

• 33
      ashley says:

The nice thing about the bento box quilt is that you can really use any number of prints! I’ve seen some that are made from scraps and have a huge number of different prints and I think that gives a great look as well! I’m sure that whatever you decide on will be great! :)

Can you make one for me next? It’s gorgeous!

Lynda says:

What a beautiful quilt and an interesting design. Thanks for sharing.

romney says:

Hi there! I found you through your lovely pictures on Flickr. You’re so productive, its inspiring me to actually get on and finish my current project.

Amanda A says:

It is gorgeous and I love the effect when the sun shines through the pieced back – fantastic job!!

amandajean says:

LOVE the back of this one. as always, it seems. hurray for 2 sided quilts!

Rachel says:

Love the quilt!! I just downloaded the instructions from Robert Kaufman and I can’t wait to give it a try!! I do have one question, I think there was a little mistype in the instructions and I wanted to be sure. Under the instructions for the throw, for Step 1, it says to sew the 2 1/2 x 4 strips to each size, that should be the 3 x 5 strips we cut per the cutting instructions right?

Thanks!!
    Rachel

I just followed your pattern for “Unfurnished” to make one very similar to this and I’m at the point where I sew together the long strips. It looks amazing and I can’t thank you enough for your pattern!

I can’t decide how I want to quilt it though. Lately my machine doesn’t want to free motion quilt and I struggle to squeeze all of the fabric under there when I’m working in the middle. I’m just wondering if you have any suggestions for alternative quilting?

Thanks again!