summer sherbet quilt top

Well, this might be the slowest week ever on this here blog! I feel a little strange not sewing as much as usual, but to be honest, the break has been kind of nice. During the week I did manage to get this new quilt top sewn together though…

I’ve been wanting to make one of these plus quilts since I saw this one. You already know of my love of patchwork quilts and 3 1/2 ” squares, so it wasn’t too far of a jump to rearrange the squares into this fun plus pattern. My initial thought was that I’d use just one print, the Amy Butler pink coriander, and pair it with lots of solids in shades of gray. Turns out that the gray solids I have here don’t really play so nicely together, so instead I started pulling out various shades of pink solids. Then I discovered two lovely Liberty of London prints I had on hand that also included the same dark pink as the Amy Butler print. And from there it was only a matter of time before I had added in a whole variety of oranges, yellows and a light green. The end result is a bright, summer sherbet-y bunch of colors… perfect for August, I think!

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to summer sherbet quilt top

Victoria says:

Love the quilt! I’m about to make one for my daughter’s first big bed and I can’t decide on a design….this one is great

mayka says:

I just recently came across your page and I am in love with your talent. I love quilts and I love your style and your artistry. I am on the east coast and wondering if you buy your fabric locally or if you order on line… there are very, very few quilt shops in my neck of the woods… I have to get my fix when I go out west. Thank you for sharing all these glorious quilts.
    Mayka

Tanis says:

Ooooh! I love it! Both the inspirational quilt and yours are stunning. I can’t believe that “only one completed quilt top” is a slow week for you!

Amy says:

This is a great design. It is so simple but has a terrific impact. I love the colors.

I mentioned in your last post that the colors reminded me of sherbet, obviously you were thinking the same thing! It looks great…I am jealous of your Liberty of London prints!

Kar says:

Love the layout you did for this one. So cute! It does remind me of sherbet. So perfect for summer. :)

Erica says:

I have been trying not to buy these beautiful “Liberty of London look alikes”…they are so beautiful! I love the colors in this quilt.

• 10
      Erica says:

Oh I should have read closer these are actual Liberty of London fabrics…now I am even more jealous! I have been looking at Alexander Henry’s new Fulham Road Cotton Lawn…they are a little more in my budget:) Beautiful quilt!

Ann Champion says:

Your quilt is gorgeous in those cheerful Summer colors! :)
    Such a nice design for showing off your pretty fabrics.

I have become obsessed with pink coriander, which is virtually impossible to find…love the color combination in this quilt.

now i think i need to go to the grocer and get some rainbow berry sherbet, with granola of course. looking at quilts doesn’t usually make me hungry, but the colors really do make you think of sherbet and once you think of it, you need to have it!!

Suzanne says:

It’s amazing what you can do with a simple square.

Wow, your quilt is great! I really like the colors and the Amy Butler fabric! Greetings from Vienna, Austria!

kama says:

I made a plus quilt for my son too, but the middle I had as one fabric, not sewn together squares. I have yet to quilt it, but I love it!

Colleen says:

Colors are gorgeous!!

aimee says:

So cute! That pink coriander is my favorite print EVER. I have yards of it uncut… afraid to use it! : )

Audrie says:

Love this! The Liberty and Amy Butler fabrics look pretty together. I’ve also been wanting to make one of these since seeing Erica’s.

I love the colors in this quilt! you amaze me! I can’t believe how fast of a sewer/quilter you are! And talented to boot!

Patty says:

Like your choice of colors.

So pretty! I love the colors, can’t wait to see it finished.

Patty says:

Such a cute quilt, and I love the name

Kate says:

LOVE this quilt top!

Terri says:

cool color combo! The name you gave this project is just perfect! Makes me want to run to the freezer for a sherbet treat.

Fiona Myers says:

Hi, Another lovely quilt. I was looking at http://www.cabbagequilts.blogspot.com and saw a more muted lovely crosses quilt that might interest you. And how about the mosaic and stained glass?! thanks, Fiona

Lynda says:

Really pretty. Love the colors and the pattern.

Elena Boen says:

I just took a look @ your quilt galleries since 2008, and I have to say,

You are AMAZING!!

Rebecca says:

This quilt is so inspiring! Love the use of solids and the Liberty prints.

29. Pingback: FITF: what I’m working on this week… | Film in the Fridge

30. Pingback: FITF: summer sherbet plus quilt… (in the middle of winter!) | Film in the Fridge