Dream on baby (again!)

I’m very much loving the fabrics in the Urban Chicks Dream On line… Moda released some of the precuts early, and I managed to snag a few online, but now I can’t wait for the yardage to become available this Fall. I think the stripes might be my favorite, though I’m also loving all the vintage floral prints.

Since I had some extra charm packs, and the desire to sew a couple of quick quilts, I made up some half square triangles and sewed them together for this cute little mini quilt. My favorite part of this one has to be the quilting, which was inspired by the quilting Kate did on this mini quilt.

I went for fewer lines, but I love the chevron stripe pattern, especially on the backing, which is a super soft Amy Butler solid.

It’s bound in some more AB solids  in a darker pink with a couple orange sections. This would make a great quilt for a newborn, and might also transition nicely into a security blanket/quilt for a toddler.

Since I had such fun with the quilting, I made up a second charm square quilt with the same fabrics and the same backing, and did a similar quilting pattern. Cute as a little matched set, no?

The baby quilt is already on its way to a new owner, but the mini version is still available in the shop.

This entry was posted in 2010 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Quilts, [search] Charm Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Dream on baby (again!)

Sarah says:

Love the vintage look! The fabrics are so bright and happy :)

Nanci says:

Cute quilt! I love this new line and just ordered a layer cake yesterday and can’t wait for it to come so I can cut into it. I looked online at Moda and don’t see where it’s even scheduled to come out.

Audrie says:

The more I see this collection the more impatient I am for yardage! Gorgeous!

Ellen says:

I love the muted floral prints!! Very nice!

Alice S says:

Love it! I’ve been waiting to see something made from the Dream On fabrics. Very nice.

Kate says:

Great quilts Ashley! I love the wider look quilting you have doen, especially with the double lines – looks fantastic.

Hope you are enjoying your Summer break x

The thing about quilting, that I am always surprised by, is after all that luscious color I can’t wait to turn it over to see the pattern made by all the stitches. It is like getting to go into the back kitchen of your favorite restaurant and getting to see where all the magic happens. Both quilts are beautiful – front AND back. Carolina

danielle says:

ok- you REALLY need to stop rubbing it in!!i ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ this line, and cant wait to get my hands on it- loving the half square triangles, and the quilting is beautiful- really sets it off….now, NO MORE until we can all get it in october ; )

Oh so adorable, I love it! The quilting was definitely a great idea, looks amazing!

Denny says:

The quilt is charming. And I do like the quilting variations. I miss the old version of the web page — the heading was so unique, friendly, and functional! I visited the site almost daily, and enjoyed some visits to the other sites listed (no longer). I can see how the new web page functions so well. I NEVER saw such an inviting heading as your previous webpage. The entire previous setup felt like community. Keep the inviting quilts coming.

Karin Slagle says:

So pretty! I just love all of your creations. Gorgeous colors on all of them. :)

Would you mind telling me how you finish off your bindings. Machine stitch or hand stitch.

Terri says:

These prints definitely remind me of vintage sheets. Love this new quilt, especially the quilting. And that backing fabric is perfect.

karen says:

Just gorgeous. I have that fabric on my wish list.

Zoe McGlamery says:

You do such a fabulous job with your straight line quilting. You inspired me, I finished a queen size top in march that i have been trying to straight line quilt by machine. I am not thrilled with the results ( I am even thinking about ripping some out!). Any tips? What kind of machine do you use?

I have been doing a double line about 3 inches apart, marked by thick masking tape….just not right.

Zoe

15. Pingback: FITF: red + purple quilt | Film in the Fridge

16. Pingback: FITF: red + purple quilt | Film in the Fridge

17. Pingback: Woodland placemat (for the boy)

18. Pingback: Woodland placemat | urban patchwork