far far away 2 quilt (with the registered holsteins)

I’m really really happy with this quilt.

(really happy)

I started it right after I finished my Flea Market Fancy lattice quilts, and it was that quilt that inspired this design – the reverse of the lattice quilt. I used Heather Ross’s new Far Far Away II line — I wanted to see larger pieces of each design, and this quilt design worked well for that. I cut each square on the bias so that the pattern design would be oriented correctly when I set it on point.

For the backing I used Kona Artichoke paired with the Kona Snow used for the sashing with strips of the remaining Far Far Away II prints (of course!).

I wasn’t quite sure how I wanted to quilt this one – it’s on the larger size so I wasn’t really relishing the idea of straight lines, but in the end I really felt that’s what it needed. And then to make it take even longer, I decided it also needed double quilting lines… But now that it’s finished I’m really happy I went for it. You don’t notice the quilting as much on the front side, but it really stands out and makes a great pattern on the backing.

Have I told you about one of my favorite parts of quilting? Taking photos of the finished quilts. (I think that’s partly what pushes me to finish quilts quickly!). I love driving around and looking for fun locations. This weekend we went to a tiny little town in New York to visit my grandmother for her birthday. During the two hour drive I worked on the binding of this quilt and kept looking up periodically looking for a spot to photograph this partially finished quilt.

We passed this barn on the way to NY and I was totally in love with the color, the weathered look, and that sign, but we had already driven by and I didn’t want to annoy anyone in the car. But of course then I couldn’t stop thinking about it. Luckily it was still light out on our way back home later that day (and by that time the binding was done) so we were able to stop for a brief little photo shoot. There was a house nearby where I’m sure the owner of this barn lived  — I wonder if they were in there watching us and wondering what we were up to, or if perhaps we were so fast that they didn’t even notice us. In any case, thank you to the owner of this barn! If only it was located closer to my home – I’d be using it as a backdrop quite often!

__

Notes:

Original post about this quilt can be found here.

Looking to buy some Far Far Away II? Hawthorne Threads just received a few more of these prints, with more arriving in August. Fabricworm & Pink Chalk Fabrics also have some of these prints available at this time.

Oh, and for those who asked, I think this line is great for quilting, even though it’s a cotton/linen blend. I like the contrast in textures, and I really like the extra weight that the linen provides, especially in a quilt this size. It gets cold here in VT, so I’m happy to have a heavier weight quilt!

This entry was posted in 2010 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Other Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to far far away 2 quilt (with the registered holsteins)

Sherri says:

Love it Ashley! I love how you cut the middle squares on the bias..love the framing in white. Beautiful! The backdrop is great also. I have a beautiful old red barn not far from my house I’d love to use sometime!

• 2
      Kim Taylor says:

I really like this lattice quilt but am confused on what you used for the white stripping. is it bias tape or did you cut stripes? im on my pinwheel one now so hope you can end my confusion thanks

Tracy says:

Please please consider doing a tutorial on this type of quilt for beginners like myself or offer good pattern to purchase!
    Thanks!

Deborah says:

Beautiful! We just received samples of this line at the shop, with the full collection arriving in August–I’m DYING to make something on a large scale with it, and take advantage of the fabulous drape! Love this quilt and the way it showcases each print and colorway.

Molly says:

Too funny about the photo shoot! I often wonder if my neighbors think I’m nuts as my dog and I traipse all over the yard dragging a quilt and taking pictures of it in various places. This shot was definitely worth it!

Sheena says:

What a beautiful quilt! I love the double rows of quilting…different.
    May I ask what kind of sewing machine you use?
    Your photographs are fun too. I love how many of your quilts are growing hands out the top corners and feet out the bottom!

LeeAnn says:

I love the fact that you are carrying around your finished quilt to find unsuspecting locations for a photo shoot. I believe you just quilt ‘punked’ a dairy farm! Where is the world will your next quilt be?

whitney says:

Beautiful photos! Totally worth the stop and the fear that we were going to get chased off by an angry farmer. I like to think that they’re proud to have a barn worth photographing.

Now I’m just sorry I wasn’t around for that yard sale find…

Love your new quilt – especially the size, the straight line quilting, and that heftiness!

daisy says:

i’m glad that you manage to photograph it where you wanted, because the result is awesome. the quilt is amazing!

Dolores says:

It’s amazing how that simple quilting makes the sashing stand out in front of the squares exactly like you put it behind porch lattice. I mean I have seen quilts pieced like this before but for some reason yours really has depth…great job!

Annie says:

I absolutely love this quilt. gorgeous!!

Lisa says:

This quilt is just gorgeous. I love it.

Erin says:

This is beautiful. I love the blocks set on-point. I also LOVE the Kona Artichoke for the backing. The quilting is perfect. I really love the barn too. Great quilt, great pic!

Blown away by the photography as usual (and the quilt, too, of course!)

elsa says:

love it and the barn is a wonderful place for the photo! you do such great work!

aseemlylife says:

Who in that car could possibly be annoyed by stopping at an old barn for a photo shoot? Is stopping at a barn for a picture the same as asking to stop for a bathroom? “you need to stop again???”
    The quilt is really beautiful.

Caroline says:

Beautiful! Great backdrop – how could the owner mind such a great quilt on his property

Michelle says:

Beautiful quilt! The setting is a great way to showcase some larger prints that wouldn’t work if the pieces were too small.

Suzanne says:

I’m a barn lover too. In fact, we stopped at one yesterday to shoot a family picture. No quilt though. :-(

Beth says:

The quilt is beautiful – and what an amazing barn! I’m glad you said where it was bc I was going to ask. I love photographing finished quilts too! Nice work. I want that barn!

emily c says:

your quilts are all so amazing and its hard to say which one is my favorite, but i think this one is my new favorite. it is perfect!!

Jeannette says:

Oh that is so pretty!! What a great back drop!

Theresa says:

You’re hilarious! I love your stories of tromping across other people’s property….all for the photo. A true artist with vision! Well done. And the quilt is divine.

Terri says:

Love this quilt. I especially love the double line quilting, which really makes the lattice sashing pop out. I do love the color of that barn! Sounds like a fun adventure, driving around to find a cool place for a photo shoot.

Meghan says:

The quilt is lovely! (and so is that barn — good find!) Setting the blocks on point really gives the quilt an awesome look.

saripu says:

I love it! abd the datail of a holstein cow is great!!

randi says:

i love this! the design is just perfect for those fabrics!

Meg says:

Gorgeous, Ashley! I have to admit that I’m impressed all to pieces that you can manage to sew in the car–I’d be carsick in a minute!

Laura says:

I have been following your blog for the past few months and always enjoy it! I saw this fabric line awhile back and love what you have done with it! I am attempting to get back into quilting and am inspired to make this quilt for each of my twin daughters for their new bunk beds. Do you mind if I ask how large you cut each square and how you did the lattice sashing- it looks different than the sashing on your flea market fancy lattice quilt. Thank you!

Absolutely gorgeous! I love it! The layout is perfect.

Amy says:

Wow, this is stunning – the quilt and the background! I’m totally inspired, I love it.

Erika L. says:

How is this pieced together? I just can’t seem to figure it out without doing it the easy way and wasting a lot of fabric. I’m trying to make a table piece for my MIL for Xmas.

Rae says:

LOVE. IT!!!! I’m working on a FFAII quilt right now too…made the mistake of using 100% linen for the sashing so that’s a little woobly, but can’t wait to try out my new walking foot!

37. Pingback: FITF: flea market fancy for the bed | Film in the Fridge

38. Pingback: Quilting Weekend – Shopping | Our Corner of the Earth

Kylie says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE this quilt! This is seriously my next project, I love it!

How wide did you do the sashing on it? And how big are the squares?

40. Pingback: An Heirloom Quilt Top — Fresh Lemons Modern Quilts

Tiffany says:

O my goodness, I am so glad that Fresh Lemons Modern Quilts referenced this post today! I have a lovely stack of fat eighths of Far Far away 2 waiting for a project and this is perfect! I agree – cutting them on the bias and turning them on edge def. showcases these prints beautifully! And I love the quilting too! Ahhhhh totally in love :)

Also interested in how wide your sashing here is and how big of squares did you use?

Gillian Golborne says:

Just found your website and love it….you make some amazing quilts, full of inspiration. Really like this idea, but as a novice quilter, not sure how to make it……where can I buy a pattern, or can you give me more instructions….???

Alison says:

Thank you SO MUCH for this website! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this quilt! I’m a new quilter, but you have inspired me to try a simplified one just like it!

Emma says:

I keep returning to this quilt. I’m so in love with the pattern and the fabrics. I’ve been buying pieces everywhere for a year now and this summer i’m gonna try it :)

keep up the fantastic work. It is so inspirering

regards Emma

Judith says:

I too, would like to purchase this pattern. I already have the perfect fabric!

Yvonne says:

It is so lovely. It would be nice to have that pattern or teach on tutorial. Thanks for showing your quilt.

Emma Parker says:

I just happened upon your quilt and your blog. Quite beautiful and the added touch of the photography that is just right is amazing.