the unfurnished quilt in a queen size

unfurnished-queen

I love big quilts! And despite being slightly intimidated by their size, every time I actually make one, I love it. This quilt is made entirely of Denyse Schmidt’s Hope Valley which I think pairs so nicely with the Kona Coal used for sashing. (The pattern is my Unfurnished pattern.) I altered the length of the blocks (upping them to 19″ in length, and a variety of widths), and did 5 columns, which results in a nearly perfect queen sized quilt.

unfurnished-queen-3

Do you remember my fabulous new sewing table? What I didn’t mention at that time was that Erich and I worked out a trade – the sewing table for a new quilt for his bed (and yes, I’m quite sure I got the better end of this deal!) And since the sewing table has already been getting quite a lot of use, I’m really feeling the pressure to get this quilt finished!

unfurnished-queen2

I think it’s looking good so far… Now onto the backing!!

(and no, we don’t usually keep rolls of quilts in our bedroom… but since we have a guest coming who will want a bed to sleep in, the quilts had to find a temporary new home…)

Hope you all have a great holiday weekend. I’m looking forward to some swimming, boating, and another fabulous fireworks display!

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to the unfurnished quilt in a queen size

Jackie says:

Beautiful! Love the gray background against the coloerd fabrics.

Raven says:

It’s so great Ashley! I think trades leave everyone thinking they got the better end of the deal……. :) Have a great weekend.

Julie says:

Oh it’s gorgeous! I love big quilts, too.. and am working on one now.. trying not to let it intimidate me :) This is so inspirational though!

whitney says:

I can’t believe how perfectly this turned out – size, columns, colors – I love everything about it!
    Hope Erich does too… although I guess it will be my fault if he doesn’t (though I have every confidence that he will). Can’t wait to see it completed!

traceyjay says:

that was a great trade… my word!

Gorgeous quilt though. :)

Carla says:

I think you got a great trade. The quilt looks amazing! Have fun on the 4th!! Cherry pie here I come…. :)

Emily says:

I love this! And… you got an “OH Pretty!” from my 2yr old daughter too! :)

It’s turned out really lovely! Enjoy that quilt!

Misa says:

I really love the look of a grey solid with the Hope Valley fabrics. I made a quilt for my mom for Mother’s Day with that combo and I love it. I wanted to do the same idea for my dad’s for Father’s Day but my local store didn’t have the grey I wanted to use (how about grey in general actually!!). Can’t wait to see the quilting on this one!

Beautiful quilt.

Random question: What color of paint on your walls?

both Dane and I are smitten with this one. It is rare that my hubby comments about a quilt from over my shoulder….but this one he couldn’t stop himself from telling me how much he liked it! “that is really cool” were his exact words, LOL…thats Dane language for “that is gorgeous”!! It is REALLY gorgeous, Ashley…..that Erich is one lucky guy!

Annalia says:

That’s beautiful! I think it’s a great trade for both of you.

Simply gorgeous! I love Denyse Schmidt’s fabrics and you have used Hope Valley perfectly. The Kona Coal frames the colors beautifully!

Munaiba says:

That’s a really lovely quilt Ashley, well done!

Nova says:

Oh I love big quilts too! It looks so good and what a great trade. Your quilts look so nice all rolled up on the chair.
    x

Kate Conklin says:

It fits the bed beautifully and looks fantastic. Three blocks across the top and then one on each drop! So clever.

Terri says:

I love the way this looks with the coal solid for sashing. Great idea to make the blocks bigger to get it to a queen size. I bet Erich will just love this when it’s all finished. Enjoy your holiday weekend!

Chris says:

Love it!!! AND that black and white one with the blue trim….OH MY HEAVEN!!!! LOVE IT, can we see pics of that one too??? pretty please :o)

Chris says:

ok never mind the pics, I FOUND THEM!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! :D

WHATUPDUCK says:

WOW, that’s fabulous! I love a big quilt too. I’m so close to finishing a string quilt that will be king-sized very soon. Hoping to finish this weekend, that’s my July 4 plan! You can see mine (that was made from your tutorial, thank you very much!) on my website currently. Have a great weekend!

aseemlylife says:

The quilt is lovely. It brings such a nice splash of color to the room. The larger quilts bring such satisfaction when they are finally finished. Very nice.

Lisalovestoquilt says:

Love this! I have a lovely pile of Hope Valley but it’s still in the ‘I can’t possibly cut into THAT pile!’ stage…soon it will be made into something lovely. Thanks for all the inspiration.

26. Pingback: a Hope Valley queen sized quilt for Erich | Film in the Fridge

Pat says:

I absolutely love the quilt. The gray is beautiful.
    I’m overwhelmed at your productivity. Do you do all of your own quilting?