I’m nothing if not predictable (another FFA2 quilt)

Because if it’s not a patchwork square quilt, it’ll probably be a strip quilt!

ffa2-strip-quilt

I know, I know… try something new already! That’s pretty much what I say to myself too, but then I find myself once again making another strip quilt. Because if I’m perfectly honest, I really love them. I’m pretty sure that I could make a patchwork quilt and a strip quilt out of all my favorite fabrics lines and continue to be quite happy.

ffa2-strip-quilt-2

I originally planned on making a second patchwork quilt out of the remaining Far Far Away 2 fabrics I had left over, but at the very last second decided to go for  strip quilt instead. I’m happy I did, because I think the strip quilt works well with these designs — you get to see a little more of Heather‘s fabulous designs this way.

FFA2-strip-back

I added in some Kona Snow and some Essex linen blend (in putty, I think?). The back got a couple extra strips of the prints along with some more of the Essex linen. I really love the texture and extra weight of the linen/cotton blends. And to add to the predictability, I used my favorite lime green binding. Of course.

FFA-strip-quilt-rolled

I’m not sure where this one will end up… I’m kind of tempted to keep it, but we’ll see! I do know that I’ll first spend some time fixing a little error I just noticed. (photos always show you the errors that aren’t blatantly obvious when you’re just looking at the quilt in person, don’t they?) Well, I just noticed in these photos that one side is clearly not straight, even though I remember making sure it was square… (hmmm…), so I think I’ll spend a little time ripping out that section of binding so I can trim that little bulge down. Good fun.

This entry was posted in 2010 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Strip Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to I’m nothing if not predictable (another FFA2 quilt)

Mary Ann says:

Isn’t it nice t be so compulsive about the little errors? My friends always tease me with the line about “riding by on a galloping horse” but I just can’t leave them alone either. Love the quilt and I love the way we get almost instant results with strip quilts.

Dianne says:

very very cute :) It’s so hard sometimes to use those “favorites” which seems silly. we buy them because we love them and then they sit on a shelf just staring at us and saying “use me use me.” bravo for using what you love…again :)

Mary says:

I do like how this allows the print to show. I’m struggling with that myself on the bigger prints, I don’t want to cut into them! I LOVE the back, too.

Katie B says:

Well, I have a hard time seeing an imperfection! Lovely quilt.

Linda M. says:

You did a great job spacing the strips and adding solids to help separate. LOVE IT, LOVE IT!! Just curious, this quilt doesn’t look “shrunk up”. Did you bat it with something other than “Warm and White”? or maybe you haven’t washed it yet. You’re a brilliant photographer, love the first picture, all the “lines”, and then the quilt with beautiful dark greens framing the top. And then, there’s your legs, which draw my eyes to the focal point. All very carefully planned, I presume :)
    You’ve convinced me to buy some from that line.

Kay Gibson says:

I know I’m getting older….lol…but I cannot see where the bulge you are talking about is located. Can you enlighten me?

Raven says:

I have yet to try a strip quilt – I just love all of yours. This one is so great! I must try one soon!

Fan-Freaking-TASTIC! ‘Nuff said.

Glad to hear you make mistakes you can’t understand too! Happens all the time here. I love this quilt- when you have such gorgeous fabrics it’s better to keep it simple and feature those fabulous patterns. LOVE the quilting too!

elsa says:

oh, I love this quilt! I tend to do certain things over and over … there’s this shawl pattern, I’ve made it 4 times now and I’ve got yarn to make it again … just love how it turns out! I keep giving them away and then making another for me … and … giving it away again. so, keep making those beautiful strip quilts!

Deb C. says:

Hi Ashley, I finally got to see the Far Far Away fabric (in person) after VQF show at Strawberry & Rhubarb’s shop (they were one of the vendors at the show). Very nice.
    It was great to meet you and your hubby. Your string pieced quilt tutorial has me itching to make one now. They’re great. I know it’s a lot of work for you, but keep with the tutorial part of your blog. It provides great inspiration for us slackers who need a little kick in the pants once in a while.

Audrie says:

Beautitful! It really does showcase the prints nicely. I have a hard time letting go of mistakes, big or small, so I understand the compulsion to rip hehe I’ve done it before!

Elizabeth says:

What a great quilt! I love it! I do understand your quest for perfection. My seam ripper and I DO NOT have a loving relationship so I would just leave that side alone if I were you!

Angie says:

If you want to make patchwork square and strip quilts forever, that’s fine! Each one is special in it’s own way. And, we’ll enjoy seeing each and every one of them! Thanks for your inspirational blog and beautiful photography.

The sides of quilts are supposed to be straight? I like to pretend I don’t know that. Love the strips.

Karen says:

I love a stripe quilt and I love this one…beautiful

Kate Conklin says:

I love strip quilts and the FFA2 fabric suits it perfectly, quilting looks great too! I would never have noticed the side had you not mentioned it.

Michelle Z says:

Ashley, I love the quilt, but then I love all of your quilts. I do have a questions for you. you mentioned using the Essex Linen…have you seen the Robert Kaufman Quilter’s Linen. I have been wondering how it would work with the FFA2 for making drapes and using it in with a quilt but I haven’t found too many places carrying it and no where that I can actually see it or feel it. Didn’t know if you have seen it or not…Would love you honest opinion…

Love your quilt! I also wondered if you used standard batting with the FFA2 and linen? Thanks Ashley.

Beth says:

I will never get tired of seeing your quilts (no matter what the pattern is). They are all works of art :o). I LOVE IT!!!

erica says:

I love it! The way you arranged the strips is stunning! Great distribution of color, Ashley!

WHATUPDUCK says:

I really like simple strips, especially when you want to show off the fabric!

Melissa L. says:

I love how this really showcases the colors in this line – so pretty, Ashley!

NinaMe says:

Love it very much. :) Also love the scenery :) I’m your reader from now on.