I’m on a boat (with a quilt)

A trip across the lake for ice cream… you’d bring your quilt, right?

Of course!

ffa2-patchwork

I finished up the binding while on the boat (not recommended! the waves and the speed tend to hinder progress) and so of course had to take the opportunity to get a couple shots while in this tiny little town.

ffa2-patchwork4

I bought 1/4 yard cuts of most of the prints, and then used squares that were 4.5″ for this patchwork quilt (that way I have enough for a second quilt, should I be so inclined!).

ffa2-patchwork-5

Since some of the prints are a larger scale print, I did have to cut right through the designs, but I think it’s ok in this type of patchwork – it’s kind of fun to see a slightly different little picture in each of the squares.

ffa2-patchwork3

The back is predominantly pink, with several of the extra squares from the front. I was most pleased that the quilting lines actually go through the diagonal on the squares on the back as well (this of course was not skill, just pure luck!).

ffa2-patchwork-back

It’s now been washed and dried and measures 46″ x 52″. Many of you asked about quilting with this fabric since it’s a linen/cotton blend – I found it to be quite similar to the Etsuko Furuya Echino fabrics – it’s a nice weight, not too heavy, and I think it gives the quilt a great weight & feel. Since it’s made of a linen blend, it’s not as soft as a regular quilting weight cotton, but I enjoy the texture the linen provides, and I imagine that it would continue to soften up with use and with additional washes.

This quilt will be listed in the shop shortly! Sold, thank you!

__

Notes:

Solid colors used in this quilt -

Konas – Sage, Woodrose, Eggplant, Petal, Stone

Robert Kaufman Essex cotton/linen blend – Natural, Putty

Moda Bella – Pistachio, Mist

(I don’t know the color name for the solid orange though I believe it was a P & B Textile solid.)

This entry was posted in 2010 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Charm Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to I’m on a boat (with a quilt)

Kristine says:

I like the quilt’s accessory in the first shot! At first I thought your quilt must have been used in a photo shoot for a magazine or catalogue. Lovely styling. And beautiful quilt (but that goes without saying.)

Fran says:

That is a really lovely quilt! I’m waiting for a bundle of Far Far Away 2 to arrive from America, can’t wait. I’d already planned something similar, love the way you used solids in all different colours, I’m now tempted to do the same. Thank you so much for sharing your ideas.

Sar says:

Gorgeous colour and pattern combinations! I love it!

Marty says:

Nice quilt. I have quilted on a sail boat before but usually we are docked. The quilt is pretty, my favorite shot is the first one while it’s blowing in the wind. Nice shot.

Faith says:

Love it! You have some real troopers that will stand in the street for your quilt photo! And thank you for including all the names of the solids. :)

Jessica says:

Gorgeous! Of course I love the patchwork, and the sort of asymetrical back is great. That first picture of the quilt blowing in the wind is awesome!

Your title made me laugh out loud! Oh, and the quilt is pretty great, too :)

WHATUPDUCK says:

Love the quilt, but your photos are awesome. Love your backdrops!

whitney says:

Looks like Ry is enjoying his kite quilt!
    Love all of your color choices for the solids – so perfect with Heather’s fairytale fabrics.

Ellen Ban says:

A boat is the perfect place for the owl and the pussycat! Great quilt and great pictures!

Raven says:

Such great pictures!! I love that you take pictures in such awesome and unexpected places. I have to get a little “brave” and get my quilts out in town! I just love all the pics- and the quilt is ah-maze-ing!

Your quilt photography is as fabulous as your quilts!

Megan says:

It’s beautiful! I love all the solids you incorporated. I’m always dragging my quilts around to finish binding or hand quilting, too. I think my friends are starting to get used to it!

Amy says:

That quilt had a mini vacation!

Annalia says:

Pretty! I always love the backs of your quilts.

Talena says:

I LOVE that first picture!! Your photography is amazing!

emma says:

Thank you so much for listing the solids that you used in this quilt. I adore your quilts and think your use of solids is inspired but I always wonder what they are! I hope you had as much fun taking pictures as it looks like you did. :)

Caroline says:

Well at least you didn’t get ice cream on it! ;) It’s beautiful.

Channyn says:

I have a little girl who loves princesses. I’ve been eying this fabric to make a little quilt for her. It’s nice to know that you can make a quilt this pretty with designer fabrics with small cuts of yardage. I love your blog. Channyn

m says:

Love the quilt and the great backgrounds.

Amber Lee says:

Ha ha ha I’m a boat, now that’s going to be stuck in my head! Seriously awesome that you took it over though, great shots of a great quilt!

Audrie says:

The colours are just amazing together!!! I definitely couldn’t do the binding on a boat… I can’t even handle doing it during a car ride hehe

Terri says:

Beautiful! I love the way you carried the patchwork from the front to the pieced backing. I can’t imagine sewing binding on a boat. Sounds like a fun day!

Love the quilt in the middle of the road wearing flip flops!

Terra says:

I always love your photos and this series, I must say, takes the cake. It must be fun knowing you and knowing that you might end up spending the day holding up a quilt in random locations.

I adore the quilt….but those pictures!! you are making me want to visit Vermont!

Mary Margaret says:

Love the quilt, love the photos! And your title had me laughing and singing (well, okay, not exactly singing, but you know!)!

Kim says:

It’s just gorgeous! Love the quilt.

Suzanne says:

I love the back!

Sarah C. says:

Beautiful quilt! I have to say, yesterday when I first saw that you had a new post, I was excited to see what you had made – but then my computer absolutely refused to load it!!! ARRGGHHHH!! But it was definitely worth the wait…… Great pics, as usual!

claire says:

those photos are fantastic – I just love the one in the middle of the road!

Susan says:

Thanks for the memories! My daughter used to go to summer camp in VT and our way home took us through the same town. We always stopped for ice cream there. She’s leaving for college in a few weeks…

Julie says:

I love your quilts. I have not tried straight line quilting. Do you have a special technique? I should look at your tutorials before asking… Oh well, if you do, you don’t have to answert!;)

Julie says:

One more question… I do not sell my quilts at this time. I can’t seem to have time past making them to GIVE away to friends and family. But it is what I am hoping to start doing now… to pay for those ‘gift’ quilts! Do you buy bolts of fabric? I am having a hard time figuring out how I will profit from making the quilts with most fabric being $8-$9/yd. May be a silly question, just though I’d ask!

35. Pingback: I’m nothing if not predictable (another FFA2 quilt) – Film in the Fridge