goldfish squared baby quilts

goldfish-squared-quilts2

I showed you a few of these goldfish blocks recently and now I’m happy to show you the quilts they ended up in!

This Heather Ross goldfish fabric lends itself so well to fussy cutting, and I knew I wanted to use them as the centers of each block. So I cut them up into single goldfish and pairs of goldfish, framed each with a thin border and then surrounded that with other fun prints and solids.

goldfish-squared---goldie

Originally I wasn’t sure about adding the Kona Stone into the mix, but after using it in the twin strip quilts, I loved it so much that I wanted to use it in these twin quilts as well. I ended up using the same design I used for my munki martians quilt and my munki in the middle twin quilts (I must have a thing for twin quilts!), framing each individual block with white and sashing them in the Kona Stone. I love how the blocks pop off the neutral background.

goldfish-squared-twins

I kept the backs pretty simple – more Kona Stone with a little pieced section to add a bit of fun –

goldfish-squared-backs

I quilted it on the diagonal with double straight lines and since I loved them so much, used the same stripey bindings as on the previous quilts.

goldfish-squared-bindings

They each measure 33 1/2″ x 36 1/2″ and are listed in the shop!

___

Oh, and of course (it goes without saying!) thanks so much for all the nice comments about my new table! I’ve been using it for a few days now and I must say that having this much space on a tabletop is fun, though I have to keep reminding myself that just because the space is there doesn’t mean I should fill it up!

To answer a few questions – the blue wall color in the den is Overcast by Glidden. The butterfly and crab framed paper art in this post was made following this tutorial. I don’t yet have a chair to use while sewing at the new table, but I’m thinking I’ll probably get a couple backless stools so that I can put them under the table when not in use. And speaking of sewing, my main machine is a Pfaff Expressions 2036. I also have a Pfaff Grand Quilter which I keep upstairs. Answers to other FAQs can be found in the FAQ discussion thread over in the FITF flickr group. (Did I get them all?!)

This entry was posted in 2010 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Square-in-Square Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to goldfish squared baby quilts

Great quilts! I really like how the thin dark and light borders accent the blocks

Islay says:

They look fabulous! I’ve finally indulged in some Muki Munki fabrics, and i’m really looking forward to some seriously time consuming fussy cutting :)

Jeannette says:

They are so sweet, I love the goldfish fabric!

Julie says:

These look awesome all finished. I love the way you quilted them and the fun binding :)

jenclair says:

Love them, and love almost anything that is hung on a line in the sun. Such a great way to display a quilt and evoke the feeling of comfort and home.

Kathleen says:

You are right. The kona stone is a great choice and makes the blocks pop. great work. I always look forward to your finished works. Great eye!

Jessica C says:

I REALLY, really love these. I always need more boy ideas. I have the goldfish in bags, and have been afraid to use them — haven’t known what to do. This is great — so cute. As always, of course.

Amy says:

Love them both! I just got Kona Espresso to use with my goldfish.

Audrie says:

I love how calm these are and yet the pop so nicely :) The bindings you used are super cute too.

Amy K-P says:

They turned out SOOO (or should I say SEW?) CUTE Ashley! GREAT JOB!

Fabulous quilts again!!
    I’m going to use some Kona Stone with my goldfish too!

Caroline says:

I love these quilts! The blocks really set off the center. I am totally going to do something like this for a friends baby due in Nov. This is great inspiration

Sarah C. says:

These are such great quilts – but it seems like all of your are! How wonderful to hit a home run every time!!

Annalia says:

Wow. Is that gigantic rock really in your back yard? Crazy! …the quilts are nice too. :)

Munaiba says:

I think they’re lovely. The stone works really well.

KerryQ says:

These are so awesome. I had a baby boy on Friday, and I’m considering buying them or blatantly copying them (with credit ofcourse.). If I do it, he might be 6 before it’s done. Hmmm…

Erin says:

Thanks for including the paint color of your room! Better Homes and Gardens magazine is including the names and brands of the paint used in their photos and its so nice to be able to find the exact color!
    I love your quilts – very creative!

I am in love….with both of them!! the kona stone really makes the colors pop!

WHATUPDUCK says:

I love the neutral background. As always, beautiful!

Suzanne says:

I really enjoy the simple quilting you do on your quilts. Simple does not make it easy. :-)

anne says:

great quilts! i love the orange and aqua together

Jodi says:

Can you possibly share your pattern for the block goldfish in a bag quilt? I just love it and won a bidding war on Ebay!

Gina says:

When I first saw these blocks a few posts ago, I thought they were so adorable! Then when you posted the other set of goldfish quilts I thought you had scrapped the idea and went with the stripier pattern instead (which was also super cute!). Glad to see this in the end though…the colors and patterns are so great!

Tara says:

I have some of the goldfish fabric that I’ve been wondering what to do with – love the idea of using them at the center of blocks!

I love the quilts! Great color choice with the Kona! Enjoy the lake this weekend! Where are you headed? My inlaws lives near Winnepaukee
    I wish we were going there!

Diane says:

Love love love these goldfish!!!