a quilt for blogger’s quilt festival

Postcards from the Park!

postcards2

There are many reasons why I love this quilt… Laurie’s gorgeous fabrics, the spring colors, and this fun wonky design! This quilt was inspired by a pillow I saw in a Crate and Barrel magazine a while back. I love the look of the wonky rectangles, but knew that the rectangles on the pillow were appliqued, which is not my forte. So instead I came up with a way to get a similar look without having to applique the rectangles.

postcards4

What pleases me most about it is that it turned out almost exactly as I had pictured in my mind. (It’s always fun when that happens, right?!)

postcards

I also love it when one quilt inspires another for me. Laurie and I both liked this quilt so much that when it came time to create a quilt out of her newest fabrics for Robert Kaufman, I went back to this quilt and changed up the design a bit to create a new version. (You can take a peek at the quilts this quilt inspired over here. There will also be a free pattern for that quilt soon to be available through Robert Kaufman.)

4600291840_c54e78a6a8_o

Thanks so much for stopping by! Have fun browsing all the other fabulous quilts through the festival!

___

The original post about this quilt can be found here.

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

72 Responses to a quilt for blogger’s quilt festival

Molly says:

I love it! Those fabrics are perfect.

Oh! I love, love LOVE this quilt! I’m so gonna make me one!

kerry says:

I have been tryingto work out how to do something very similar- glorious, love the subtle wonkiness!

Andrea says:

I love this quilt!!! Well, all your quilts really, but wonkiness is my new passion…I can’t wait for the instructions for stacked seating come out on the Kaufman website…
    ~Andrea

Sherri says:

I love love this quilt also Ashley! Love it so much I have 3 versions of it planned using an entire yard collection of the original Far Far Away fabrics…all three going to my daughter and two of my nieces that have birthdays in June. Can’t wait!

Terri says:

I’m so happy to see you entered this quilt, Ashley! I really love it too. I love the colors and the wonky design with the white sashings in between. I’m not quite comfortable with wonky yet, so I’m happy to hear a pattern is coming cuz I would love to try it. Great job with this one!!

Lynne says:

Ashley that has always, since it appeared and eclipsed my other favourites, been my favourite quilt of yours, possibly my favourite quilt around in blog and flickr land today. You chose well for the festival!

I will look for this pattern on the Kaufman site. I just love the wonkiness!

Carol

Claire says:

LOVE it!..than again, I think I’m in love with all you quilts….they are all absolutely WONDERFUL…they all have great colors in them!

It’s alwasy a joy to see what you have posted!

Julie says:

Love it – the colors, the fabric, the simplicity, the playfulness. It’s gorgeous :)

Sara says:

I love this quilt and Laurie’s fabrics. I can’t wait until her new line is available. I’m waiting impatiently:)

whitney says:

Definitely one of my faves! It must have been hard for you to choose with all of the stunning quilts you make.

jo avery says:

I love this design and the colours! One of my favs so far – well done!

Amy says:

It’s a great combination of colors. I often like the wonky look-especially subtle wonky like this, but have a hard time letting go!

amy says:

I really love that deer fabric!

dolly says:

So beautiful ! You have quite a talent for making a design your own. You continue to inspire me, for which I often give you credit, as I did on my festival entry (linked to your flickr group’s quilts).
    This is another one I’d like to make my own. You have several that are still floating around in my head !

amy smart says:

Fabulous! The combination of color and design are amazing. Love, love.

Mary says:

I’m so glad you picked this one for the festival – it’s one of my favorites!

Lauren says:

Love it! I’m thinking “how did you do that?” The blocks of little animals are so cute, too!

This is one of my favorites as well. Winning combination of fabric from Laurie, additional colors and design ideas from you.

Sarah Vee says:

I like your quilt. And your ingenuity. When I saw it I started hearing Pink Floyd’s, ‘Just another brick in the wall”. Dating myself, and I’m not even a big Pink Floyd fan. Say that 3 times fast. Thanks for some more inspiration. Love the timber green version, too.

Emily says:

I love this quilt! Well, actually I think I’ve loved every one of your quilts! I’m prety new to the quilting world and it’s great to see some out here that look so beautiful, yet aren’t that far from what I already know. :) – also always such great colors!

leigh says:

Is there any way you could do a turorial for this quilt? I’ve been dying to make one, but haven’t quite figured it out.

What a perfect post to enter into the festival! Love it!
    I just can’t seem to make wonky look cool.
    Yours looks cool. My wonky looks…well… wonky :-)

Amy K-P says:

LOVE IT! AWESOME (as ALWAYS)!

I love this one….but then, I love all your quilts!

Jan says:

Love it, too. The wonky-ness makes it so special.

LizzyM says:

So pretty, and the colors of the fabrics you chose are to die for!

Annalia says:

I know why I love that quilt – colors…beautimus.

Kristin says:

I love this quilt! The colors are so beautiful!

Toni Coward says:

love it! the colours, fabric, design!
    you rock the quilting world ashley!!!

Crafty Mummy says:

This is a great quilt to show of beautiful fabrics. I love it!

Kathy says:

I saw your quilts over at Kaufman in the two colorways! Fabulous….both Laurie’s fabric and your design.

I love this quilt, Ashley! Great design, colors, and Laurie’s fabrics are to die for! I’m just waiting to get my hands on some!

Wow! Having something turn out just as you pictured it! What’s THAT like? LOL!

A Garden of Threads says:

Wonderful colors, so cheery and spring like. Thanks for sharing.

Cynthia says:

Such a great quilt! I check your site often and I am always amazed at the cute stuff you make and the amount of quilting you manage to get done! Thanks for sharing your talents with us!

Mandy Noble says:

I love all your quilts, your work is amazing!

gorgeous quilt, so simple yet so beautiful

Candi says:

You always have something great to show us. Its a great quilt. I’m not a wonky fan, but I really like this!

Carol Hansen says:

A very effective way to showcase different fabrics.

Sarah C. says:

That’s a beautiful quilt! Try as I might, though, I can’t see how you did the blocks. Any chance there’s a tutorial?

Kim says:

There are some beautiful quilts at the festival this year, but this is my favorite so far. This is officially on my list of quilts to make. I love the simplicity and the way it shows off the different fabrics. LOVE it!

Vicki says:

Great design, I love it!

Allie says:

I love love love this quilt, I am so thankful it’s going to be a pattern – can’t wait to make it!

BJ says:

Love this one. Actually, I’m a fan of all your quilts. I’ve looked at them on Flikr: Fresh Modern Quilts and I like your style. You do great work. Thanks for sharing.

Jackie says:

I can see why you love this quilt! Great choice, Ashley!

AnnieO says:

What a great quilt! The colors and setting are so charming and quirky. Thank you for sharing this quilt’s story :)

My jaw dropped when I saw this one! I’m still baffled as to how you did that without applique!!! Amazing!! It’s just gorgeous!

Erin says:

I always love your work, Ashley, and this time is no exception. The chairs SLAY me. I can’t wait to get some yardage of this line. Well done :)

Bellgirl says:

How beautiful! I love seeing the way peop;e photograph their quilts too- I can picture a no-very-tall friend struggling to hold that one up from behing ;)

Leslie says:

i am in love…this quilt is so pretty. probably one of my favorites that i have seen browsing the festival. the fabrics are gorgeous

kristin says:

This quilt is so perfectly simple. I love that your rectangles are wonky and not perfect. Love, Love, LOVE IT!

Megan Presley says:

I’ve love this quilt since I first stumbled onto your blog and found it!! Would you consider doing a tutorial or a pattern for this one? I want to make one, but wasn’t quite sure how to add the sashing to the wonky squares. (Maybe it’s more doable than my crazy mind is trying to come up with, but I haven’t figured it out yet.)

Karen says:

Once again you have made a quilt with such wonderful colour. Love how your postcards are wonky. My brain cannot cope with that at all.

Ariane says:

It is beautiful. I love the wonky blocks. The fabrics are gorgeous too.

Frauke says:

I just hope you tell us on your blog when the pattern is available ??? Your quilt is a stunner; I absolutely LOVE the fresh, modern, colourful design.

I LOVE it! I’ve been a lurker on your blog for about a year now. You always inspire. Sew On!

Stephanie says:

I LOVE this quilt… it’s absolutely stunning! I love the fabrics you chose and the design. Amazing work!

Linda says:

Darling, as usual. I love your quilts. You have great vision. The creativity of quilting seems to come so naturally to you. All the geometric designs you use make me wonder if you are a mathematical person. I have only been quilting a few years, and it’s tutorials like yours that have really helped me find “my quilt self”.

Rose says:

Love this quilt…it makes me smile just looking at it. You can see my entry HERE.

mathea says:

I learned a new term while reading through the comments: “subtle wonkyness”. That’s just what made me fall in love with this quilt, that and the wonderful colours – it just makes me smile!

Stephanie says:

That was a pretty small pile of fabric, but at least it was beautiful fabric!!

Sandra Davidson says:

Hi, I love your blog it is so cute. Congrats on two years and keep up the good work. I would love any one of those beautiful prizes.

Sandra Davidson says:

I really just think this quilt is blowing me away, the thing that amazes me is how you Ladies just do such beautiful machine quilting. I am of the old skill hand quilting and I just can’t seem to get the hang of the machine quilting and I need to because arthritis is preventing me from hand quilting.

ktquilts4fun says:

Just love those colors!! Great design too!!

Blessings,

KT

eileen says:

love this quilt–and looked at the other colors and since i love purples that would be my choice, but this is a fun one with the variety of colors. the design is a really neat one and think i might just have to try it once i get a few of the wip’s done! come visit my blog if you have time in betweeen all your beautiful work!!

70. Pingback: Blogger’s Quilt Festival – Spring 2010 » Amy's Creative Side