a wonderfully wonky string quilt

Oh Anna Maria, how I love you and your gorgeous Little Folks fabrics!

amh-string-quilt

I finally finished up my wonky string quilt and I’m so in love. I can’t even tell you how much I love it. So very much.

AMH-wonky-strings3

I made 11″ string blocks using a lime green solid for the center strings. To change it up a bit, I made these strings slightly wonky, sort of along the lines of Denyse Schmidt’s Any Way You Slice It quilt (I just added ‘wonk’ to my strings when sewing them to the paper, though Denyse has a pattern available in her book).  All the fabrics aside from the center strings are voile fabrics from Anna Maria Horner’s Little Folks line. I think almost all of the patterns from the line are represented (I can think of one I’m missing…but maybe there are others? I’m not sure…).

amh-string-quilt2

I know I’ve said it before, but I’m so over the moon with the voile fabrics in a quilt. The resulting quilt is buttery soft and I want to just live my whole life surrounded by this quilt. Ok, a little crazy, but kind of true. (Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and make myself some clothes out of these fabrics instead…)

I had some minor snafus with this one – nothing serious, just a few things that made this take a bit longer than I expected.  I had a little trouble with the backing — I ended up with a solid in a gold color, which is weird, since gold wouldn’t be my first pick. I made a pieced backing, got the quilt all pinned and then realized that I really disliked the gold more than I first thought. In fact, I disliked it so much that I ended up taking the whole thing apart so I could remake the backing.

AMH-wonky-string-back

Then I couldn’t decide how to quilt it, so it sat for a bit while I stared at it and considered various options. I knew I wanted to do a minimal amount of straight line quilting to keep it as soft as possible. I finally decided to go with straight lines on the diagonal, but made them wonky to keep with the wonky aspect of the front.

amh-wonky-string-back3

I bound it in the same green as the center strings (though not before I mistakenly made, and attached, a green binding that actually didn’t match!). But ah, it’s done, and I’ve already forgotten about those issues. In fact, I’m ready to make another! (and another and another!)

Somebody stop me. Seriously.

AMH-wonky-string4

___

Notes:

Tutorial for string blocks

Previous posts about this quilt can be found here and here.

Finished size: approximately 62″ x 72″

Other Little Folks quilts I’ve made – Playground patchwork & Moonlight in the Trees

_

Little Folks fabrics can still be found at Pink Chalk Fabrics, Hawthorne Threads, and Fabricworm. (It seems that some prints are on backorder, but apparently should be due back in in early May.)

___

This entry was posted in 2010 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] String Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to a wonderfully wonky string quilt

What beautiful quilt! great pics too!

Mary says:

You did a fabulous job on it. I love the quilting idea with straightline wonkiness!!!!

Cara says:

I’m so jealous of your awesome photography locations! This quilt, as usual, is amazing. I’ve been hoarding a bunch of this line in the hopes of making a quilt for myself. The voile scares me a bit so I’ve been thinking about doing a string quilt as well since the paper piecing gives me more confidence. I’m thinking of hand tying mine with purl thread to keep it extra soft!

Raven says:

NOOO, don’t stop! Make lots and lots more!! It came out sooooooo amazing! Where did you take the pics – such a cool spot! Nicely done!

Dawn W says:

Love it, love it, love it! I’m saving all my scraps to make a string quilt because I’m so jealous of all the wonderful ones I see, and yours looks so warm and inviting. Very nice!

It looks wonderful, I want to cuddle up with it right now!!

Faith says:

You are a quilting machine. :) It’s just beautiful!

whitney says:

Those photos are by far some of my favorite yet. What a perfect day and a perfect location to take pics for this equally awesome quilt. LOVERLY!

Janice says:

wow, I really want these fabrics now! That is the most beautiful string quilt I have ever seen. If you really want to make more, send one my way:)

Audrie says:

Love this! And why would we stop you? hehe

holly p says:

Now I really want to make one of these! The AMH voiles are so wonderful to work with!

Megan says:

Beautiful quilt. Beautiful fabric. And I love the wonky straight line quilting.

Jan says:

It’s one of my favorite collections, too. I love this quilt, and the photography is outstanding. (In addition I wanted to tell you that the columns on your blog are overlapping. I use both IE and Chrome and when I noticed a problem, I checked both; and the probelm appears in both.) I looks for an email or contact information, before putting this in a comment, but couldn’t locate one.

The photography is really beautiful. (And like Jan’s comments, the columns overlap in my IE as well). Anyway, i have almost the complete line, but I think I need to fill in the holes. And clothing? I would love the dress (in the red pomegranate–at least I think it’s called something like that–the diamond-y one) and a scarf. Just like the one in the picture on AMH’s website. Dreamy.

Megan says:

I’m in love….I think this is my very favorite quilt you’ve made ( and I LOVE lots of your creations!) I’m almost done piecing my LF quilt top and the fabrics are so luxurious, but I have had a lot of trouble with their slippery nature. I’m glad yours went along more easily!

Jodieth says:

This is beautitul! You photography and setting as well.

Caroline says:

This is really a beautiful quilt as is everything you do! I just bet it’s super soft in that voile!!

Emily says:

I lovelovelove it! I am curious, would you mind sharing how much you used of each fabric for this quilt? (I’ve got a fq set and I am wondering if I am going to end up using it all up on one quilt!……or should I buy more? ;) )

• 21
      ashley says:

Hi Emily,
      Unfortunately, I don’t know how much I started with (or how many of the prints I used!), so I have no idea how much of each I used. If I had to guess, I’d say it was probably around a 1/4 yard of each (more of some, less of others…) Sorry I don’t have a more accurate answer for you!

Islay says:

Gorgeous! I still can’t decide what to do with my stack of Little Folks. I’m thinking of handsewing a fairly simple design (I am completely in love with handsewing everything at the moment) to keep the lines soft like the fabric (similar to the idea behind a wonky quilt I guess!) but I’m too scared to start cutting…

Eeva says:

Once again you have made a really, really beautiful quilt. I can almost feel trough your photos how soft it is.

it is gorgeous…and gives me a sneak peak into what one of my little folks quilts will look like. I realized shortly after making my first quilt that I over bought on fabric, so I stripped the left over for a string quilt. It may take a few months before either one is done, but at least I know (from seeing yours) that the string quilt will be beautiful. As usual, I LOVE the back of your quilt. You are so good at making the backs just as beautiful as the fronts!!

Emily says:

Can I suggest making yourself a couple spring scarves with the AMH little folks fabric? I just made myself two… because I keep going to my sewing room just to look at the fabric. Now I get to wear it every day! (and I’m not really that great at sewing shirts I’d actually like to wear.) I jut used 1/4 yd cut of two of the fabrics sewn together. The result is a shorter light weight scarf for spring. Oh I love it. I posted pics on my blog if you’d like to see (http://mommysnaptime.blogspot.com). Also, all your little folks quilts really inspire me!

Holly says:

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the reflection of the quilt in the water. I’m using your string pieced tutorial for a virtual quilting bee right now and hope to make my own string pieced quilt. Do you know what green you used? Is is a Kona cotton?

Aimee says:

You’re killin’ me!!! Gorgeous quilts AND beautiful photos…and I can’t find the time to do either. Oh well, I’m certainly enjoying yours!

Michelle says:

Beautiful Quilt! Off to check out the tutorial.

Marcia says:

You should be pleased….it’s wonderful!

Karen says:

Love the overall look of this quilt. All those lovely fabrics harmoniously sitting next to one another. The green peepers look great.

Crystal says:

Beautiful!! I am working on a wonky string quilt, but it’s a little bigger, a queen size and it’s just left overs!! But I do just love your quilts!!

whatupduck says:

Absolutely beautiful! I’m working on a string quilt also, but then you got me hooked on hexagons, so the string quilt has been left behind for now.

Be sure to check my website later this week for a Kaffe Fassett giveaway!

Randi says:

Awesome job on the quilt & on the photography (as always).

Terri says:

These fabrics sound so decadent. I must stock up on some based on your rave reviews. Your quilt is just gorgeous! I love the wonkiness of the strings, and the wonky quilting lines too. Love the juxtaposition of colors throughout.

Sarah says:

Wow, what a beautiful quilt! I know you must be proud!! I can’t wait to try one of these myself……..

christine says:

frikkin’ ridiculous.
    seriously so pretty!!!
    you are prolifically inspirational!

mab says:

I’m slowly hoarding (Um, I mean, acquiring) a stash of Little Folks and can’t wait to make a quilt from it. Actually I’d rather reupholster my entire house in voile, but my hubby says that is too extreme. Silly man.

Ellen Price says:

That is an incredibly beautiful and cool quilt!!! Great job…keep them coming!

randi says:

perfect! what a scrumptious quilt!

also lovin’ the tufted tweets quilts!

The place perfect. The quilts are absolutely stunning. Great post!

Jen Gough says:

Wow! Really love this quilt and the colors together! You amaze me at how quickly you can get a quilt finished. Thanks for inspiration!

41. Pingback: a quilt for the wall – Film in the Fridge

Hi Ashley–I just stumbled across your blog while looking for an Anna Maria somethingorother. I too am infatuated with Little Folks and have been using the voiles in everything I make. But I’m just learning to sew–now I must learn to quilt! This is positively gorgeous.

Amber H. says:

Hey, Ashley! Gotta say I LOVE your wonky string quilt! I’m actually in the process of gathering up all of the prints of this line -minus the dobby prints- to make a quilt when I get home from my road trip! I’ve currently got 16 prints out of 28 in case anyone wanted to know; 6 prints I got while on the road from two different shops…. anyway, I would love some tips sewing with it! The texture seems to be closer to a thinner silk -or at least I think so- and I was wondering what would you recommend, using a thinner needle than the universal size -I’ve currently got 90/40 sized needles in my machine in the Schmetz brand- or would you recommend a smaller size or a different brand or both…

My quilt top pattern is calling for solid fabric, and I plan on buying the solid voile from Fabricworm, so the entire top will be in 100% voile.

Thanks!

Judy says:

Love the quilt and the pictures, as always! We get many prints done by Mpix. They have great service and shipping. I think the largest my hubby has had printed was 16 x 24. As a new quilter, I’m always checking out your site for inspiration. Thanks!

Nova says:

truly gorgeous. I can totally see why you are so in love with this quilt. Awesome photo shoot too.
    x

Minna says:

That is one of the most beautifully made quilts I’ve ever seen. If I had your expertise I’d have at least one quilt in every room, including the bathroom!

Kim says:

Love it! How about a wonky strings tutorial for us newbies??

Kim says:

This quilt is sooo amazing!
    Can I ask, is the center green string in a quilt weight cotton rather than the Voile? Also, when you cut your strips for the Wonky Quilt are you cutting wonky or cutting straight and sewing wonky? I’ve been looking through your posts, but can’t find the answer. Thanks Ashley, Love your work!

51. Pingback: two new shirts, take 2 – Film in the Fridge

52. Pingback: FITF: wonky wild world quilt | Film in the Fridge

Bruna says:

Your quilt is amazing. Totally!
    I love the colors, the strings, the back. Everything :) Good work!

Lynnet says:

This is absolutely fabulous! I love all the colors and the way you quilted it as well. I started searching for Wonky quilts because somehow my latest quilt has wonkiness in it without the intention. I’m adding this to my list of quilts I want to do. Imagine – doing Wonky on purpose!