do you have a favorite kona solid?

I’ve been thinking about solids lately. I love them, and try to keep a selection on hand, but there are definitely a few that I return to over and over. My go-to solids, if you will… the ones I like to buy multiple yards of…

konas

These are two of my current favorites – Kona Aqua & Kona Medium Gray. (I still love Kona Coal (very very much!) but I’m trying to give the medium gray some love too!).

Do you have any favorites? A certain color you always reach for?

kona-solids

(from top to bottom: Green Tea, Sage, Dark Violet, Thistle, Grass Green, Aqua, Medium Gray)

__

Aqua & Med. Gray purchased from Blueberry Buckle Quilt Studio. Sue carries a huge selection of Kona solids and ships really quickly!

This entry was posted in Fabric and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to do you have a favorite kona solid?

Kate says:

You inspired me to buy some Coal this week — Joann’s had them $2 off! I also got some Ash, Candy Blue and Tarragon (which may be the new favorite, it’s a great green) because they all looked really good together. Can’t wait to start working with solids again, it’s been a while!

Laurel H. says:

I guess I’m kinda boring; my go-to colors are Snow and Black. :) But I’ve just discovered Moda Chocolate Brown, and I’m wondering if Kona has a color like that…

Tracey J says:

I’ve been loving Kona Stone lately… and the chocolate. That aqua is beautiful; I’m going to have to get some of that!

Alissa says:

Ash, Medium Gray and Coal! Seem to be using all three tons and tons and tons these days… and I should just by the Bone by the bolt. From there – well it’s all fair game! Oh Kona. How I love you.

Krista says:

Kona Snow has been in my stash for a long time as my go-to white. I’ve been digging the greys, but my new favorites are Pepper and Cheddar!

Jennifer says:

I love Kona Ash! I am also working on another quilt using Eggplant for the first time and it is actually making me fall in love with purple!

Jennifer :)

Janice says:

I am really boring and I almost always use Kona White. When I get real crazy and adventureous I use Kona Ivory. I want to use Stone or Coal in my next quilt, or maybe even a COLOR! I am a sucker for white sashing, but I want to try something new.

Molly says:

I finally got a color chart so I’m drooling over all of them now! I love the charcoal. Probably because it is the same color as the dog hair that is all over my house.

Angela says:

This has been my week-o-Kona! After a couple weeks of no fabric purchases, I’ve been buying Kona left and right all week. I love using Kona monochromatically (not a word, I see) with different values of the same color. Right now my favorite oranges for that are School bus and tangerine.

I have full bolts of Kona white, snow, and ash. But I sure love aqua. And that stack of colors is gorgeous!

KristenA says:

I’m loving Kona Charcoal–a lovely alternative to black and all the greens, but especially Celery, Zucchini and Grass Green…yum! Also love the Raisin…so pretty.

amanda says:

kona cactus! I just used it on a new top and it’s a new fave :)

Caroline says:

Kona Ash is my new fav. That one goes with everything.

Audrie says:

My favourites vary but they’re usually one of the greys… Ash, Coal or Med Grey. And strangely enough, I received Aqua and Med Grey in the mail yesterday!!

Megan says:

Kona White is my usual bore too. But I did discover RK Ultra Sateen recently when I was looking for something smoother to go with the AMH voile and I really love it. Unfortunately it seems to have all but disappeared online in white. I am using some Kona Flesh for another project right now and it’s really nice, just pink enough but stlll pretty neutral.

Caro says:

I just bought three yards of both Kona Coal and Medium Gray, my new favorites. For some reason, I think I need to make a gray quilt and have been on the hunt for gray prints which are hard to find. I did find a cool gray and white polka dot fabric.

Liz says:

I’ve been building up my stash of solids recently, and I love ‘em all. Kona Ash and Medium Gray are great. I was also surprised at how much I liked Kona Cadet, and how useful it was. I wouldn’t have thought I would like an almost-navy blue, but I really did.

May have to add that Aqua to my next shopping list…

Liz says:

Oh, and Kona Bone is my current go-to favorite for “white.” It’s not too stark white, but definitely reads “white” in most things. It seems to have a nice warmth to it and goes with a lot of things.

Mary Perrine says:

Eggplant has been one of my new finds….

Jean says:

Kona Wheat – I buy yards and yards of it!

Kathy says:

Yeeps….I went on over to Blueberry Buckle and found there are 125 Kona Solids in her shop!!! I used a ton of them
    in my Munki quilt along with polka dots. You are the inspiration for a whole lot of new thinking for quilters. Thanks.

Tresia says:

I love the Kona solids so much I ordered a color swatch card of the entire line. Cheaper than ordering a yard of each. So now when I plan my project, I can figure out exactly which one will be the perfect color match and order it. Kona solids are the best.

wendy says:

I’ve been meaning to make an all solids quilt! I never think of it, i’m too busy trying to collect all the gorgeous designer prints.

Meg in CT says:

Wow, I’m surprised there’s been no Espresso love yet! It is , hands down, my favorite. Close behind it are Coal, Ash, and Stone. I love the neutrals to tie together a variety of prints and colors. I’ve stayed away from true white, and have a bolt of Ivory that I’m working my way through in a series of baby and wedding quilts. :)

Susan says:

Black…I love all of the Kona colors, but black is what I buy the most of.

Erin says:

Excellent resource link!!!!! I know the Blueberry Buckle mama in real life. =) =) =)

nichole says:

i love ice frappe. it is such a nice soft aqua. i could use it in so many quilts!

Rachel-2ndavestudio says:

Okay Im gonna rock th eboat and say I cannot stand ASH – it as a yellow cast that drives me crazy. It maybe that I have full spectrum florescents in my room and not incandescent. I like RJRs Grey Stone and Kona Seafoam and Stone. Bahama Blue, Azure and Robins Egg are my blues- they are not as light as Aqua which seems kinda washed out to me. I have a pair of new pillowcases that seem the perfect Aqua, so I have been using those.:)
    I also have a Maywood Studio vintage red that I love its close to Kona Chinese Red but brighter.
    For a white its always been Snow but recently I got Bone

Kaye Prince says:

Kona Coal is definitely my favourite, and I love Ash too! I want to give Stone a try…I’m really more of a “neutral” solids kind of girl since I love the way they can set off bolder prints.

Maritza says:

The colors in that stack of Kona work beautifully together! I am rebuilding my Kona collection, but the few that always have on hand are Natural (my go-to for background fabric), Bone (when I want something crisper but not quite white), and Sage.

WendyP says:

That grass green is my favorite right now. Snow is a perennial favorite too.

Mama Mel says:

I haven’t been quilting for very long, but so far my favorite go to color with Kona is Snow. So boring, right? It is amazing how dark or bright colors pop out once you add a little white in there! I plan on trying more colors as I make more quilts. I am partial to most blue colors. :)

Jen says:

Can’t stop buying Espresso.

I’m not a quilter, I make aprons and bags! My go-to colors are black and bright pink. I am totally in love with crocus and cyan as well!

Susan McKey says:

I have so many favorites, they are all so yummy. I use a lot of Coal, Artichoke (thanks to you!), Goldenrod (I think, it’s a lovely, soft yellow), and my new favorite: Espresso.

CarolE says:

I use lots of white, but ice frappe is really my favorite right now.

Susan says:

I am all about the green tea lately. It just seems to work with everything I’m doing.

Elizabeth says:

I have to agree with Rachel about Ash. I like it and use it, but I also find the yellow cast problematic.

I guess I’m the only Pepper fan. It’s a great blackish/bluish gray. I also can’t get enough of Cinnamon and Zucchini!

Debbie says:

I have to agree with the charcoal, coal, medium grey fans. Greys are my favorites right now. I also just bought a lot of berry that will look fabulous with something in the future!

jaybird says:

i don’t… but i should… i’m becoming more & more of a fan… and need to build up my solid stash.

Terri says:

It took me awhile to figure out which solid I reach for most often. I’ve narrowed it down to bright pink, turquoise or chartreuse. Really, I use Snow and White the most! Would like to try using coal.

I am just starting to use solids. I’ve used Kona White, Snow, and Coal with other fabrics and love them all. I’ve recently made a couple of projects with lots of the blues and greens and I love the Grass Green, too. I’m really wanting to do something bigger with Windsor (which is a dark grayish blue), but I’m thinking it would really show off colors and prints in the same way Coal does, and I’m wanting to experiment with Stone

Erica says:

I always turn to Kona Olive. Always. It matches so many prints in my stash and it just makes my mouth water. :)

Lisa says:

I work with a lot of solids. Of the available solids on the market Kona is my favorite – but I still think they can improve their solids – I would love for them to have a softer hand – I’m waiting for a fabric company to embrace solids and really up the ante in the quality department. Amy Butler’s broadcloth from Free Spirit is nice too, but the palette is very limiting and it’s still a bit too stiff.

krissy says:

kona eggplant! I especially love it with the fiesta hope valley fabrics…

Carla says:

I just came across your blog, and I LOVE it. Your quilts are amazing. I am working on a zig-zag quilt, my first one. I’ve made a few quilts, and I love learning how to make new ones. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work.

Emily says:

My latest Kona purchase that I just can’t get over….Avocado! It is simply luxurious – rich, deep. I have not found the right project for it yet but I cannot wait to use it! When I need a “pick-me-up” I grab it on the way out the door and drive my kiddos to and fro with in on my lap – “crazytown!” I know.

Dorrie says:

Green Tea! I know the rage is Kona Coal. . . but I love the green tea. Sometimes it’s just the right shade of green, other times it’s just yellow enough. . .aaahhh, it’s my favorite!

April says:

After reading of your love for Kona, I had to get some myself. I was sucked into only using designer prints, and not solids. Now I’m sold on using solids, too. I am sooo excited, especially since my local fabric shop has Kona for $4/yd! I want to buy them ALL!!! I was very drawn to Robins’ Egg and Chartreuse.

Tina says:

I love coal, med. grey, snow, bone, peridot, olive and sqush (which I fear is discontinued)and I LOVE my kona color card!

Tharina says:

All your comments convinced me to purchase my Kona Color Chart right NOW! I am posting this comment and then hopping over to pink chalk fabrics right away to order it. Does anybody have the link to Blueberry Buckle’s shop? Thanks!

Emily BB says:

dunno I definitely buy white the most but color wise i am in love with olive, cerise, berry, carnation, cyan, papaya, mulberry…too many to count…i buy and then choose what to use them for so right now i have yards sitting waiting for inspiration with my color card close at hand to advise my future purchases

Amanda says:

I usually always go for the espresso or the charcoal. I love them and it seems you can put one of those two with anything and it will look great.

Cristin says:

I LOVE Kona solids!
    I’d say Grass Green and Coal are my two favs right now. Although, I’ve got a very small selection at Joanns… I find myself gazing at the color card dreaming of ordering ALL of them… dang.

Jennifer says:

I love snow. I finally just had my quilt shop just order me a whole bolt.

I love coal too. From my 100s of different konas (no joke) I go for Sage (which isn’t what I consider sage at all, but more of a muted aqua) and Artichoke. Oh and Cerise lately.

Kyra T-M says:

Just FYI, Fabric Shack (Google it) has Kona solids for $4.19 per yard and they are also speedy shippers. Hope this helps you all.