the thing about string quilts…

I had big plans to make a queen sized string quilt using 5 1/2″ squares.

It didn’t happen.

string-quilt-2

The thing about string quilts is that I love looking at them (and I’ve made quite a few!), but if I’m going to be honest, they can be a bit tedious to make. Back in July, I asked you if I was crazy to attempt it, and I think that most all of you said I was not. Though I’m thinking now that someone should have! My original plan was to make 10 blocks a day, which would have given me enough blocks in about a month and a half. Well, by the end of August, I was only at 85… clearly this wasn’t going so well. I set them aside until just recently, when I finally was forced to realize that there was no way I was ever going to have enough for a queen sized quilt.

string-quilt3

So I sewed together what I had. And you know what? I think this size is perfect. Just what I wanted. (or at least that’s what I’m telling myself!)

__

The tutorial for string blocks can be found here, in case you’re interested!

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to the thing about string quilts…

Shannon says:

I think it looks lovely just the way it is, and plenty big! :)

Julie says:

I agree! It looks stunning.. and looks like a great size :)

Jody says:

Looks great Ashley…don’t feel bad because I still haven’t finished mine either:)

Laurel H. says:

Agreed; this is a GREAT size! It looks like it will be about 50″ by 60″?

Deanna says:

Better a finished, modified project than an eternal UFO!

Faith says:

I also thinks it’s the perfect size! It is really stunning, the colors really catch the eye.

And I’m happy to see there’s no snow in the picture! :-D

Sarah says:

That is a gorgeous quilt! I don’t think I’d ever have the patience to make one, so I’ll just enjoy yours! And I like the size – perfect to snuggle on the sofa with!

Zarina says:

Yes, the size is just enough. You can add borders to make it queen size – I think borders totaling 10-inch per side? That’s what I would do if I were you.

It is absolutely glorious, and it looks like the perfect size to me!

Mary says:

I think it looks beautiful – whatever size it is!

aseemlylife says:

Believe me I know exactly how you felt. My goal was not as lofty as yours. My goal was 1 square a day which gave me 3 months to finish my 100 square feet of string squares. I felt like giving up a few times too. Glad you finally finished, you will be glad you did. I love looking at mine. So much so that I have just left it on my bed as a spread.
    Your quilt is very pretty.

Stephanie says:

It’s great! I have contemplating making a string quilt for my mom for Mother’s Day (she’s a fellow quilter…but more traditional than mod). Anyway, I love string quilts but I hesitated because of the tediousness. Thanks for your honesty, I’m probably going to stick with something slightly easier.

Heather says:

seriously funny Ashley!! now i know your human and not a quiting super hero! haha!!! i would have pulled my hair out long ago!! LOL the quilt looks amazing :)

holly p says:

queen sized or not, it still looks great!!

whatupduck says:

love it! mine is now almost king sized and now i’ll just have to finish it! you inspire me :-)

Wendy says:

Yes, it looks plenty big to me. That’s a lot of work there! :-)

Keriann says:

Well had I been a follower when you first started this I most definitely would have said you were crazy but good luck!!

That being said I think it turned out wonderful!! Even if it’s a tad smaller than planned!!

Peggy says:

Here’s to high expectations, may we always be happy with whatever the restuls!

Walden says:

It looks wonderful! I wish I had the patience to make one of these.

I think it’s beautiful. Just the right size.

karo says:

sigh. that looks like heaven to me. :)

I had the same thing happen with mine. I eve added a 3″ border around it to get to the size I wanted. I love string quilts, but man. I will never try to make one bigger than lap sized.

It turned out beautiful!

Britt says:

I love yours! Wonderful colors. I am making a king size one in blue with a yellow center strip. My blocks are 10 inches finished but I still find making 80 blocks to be about 20 (30?) too many! I’ve worked on other quilts when I need a break. Bigger is better with strip quilts IMHO if you want more than a lap quilt. Of course that makes it harder to use up the little scraps… :)

Audrie says:

They’re extremely fiddly… I’ve been planning to make one for a while but after a few blocks I had to set it aside and rethink the size. I’ll eventually get to it but I’m in no hurry!
    Yours looks gorgeous though :)

Suzanne says:

Good for you for saying Uncle! You have another beautiful quilt.

amanda says:

It’s totally stunning. And I think it’s better to make something of it – rather than just let such beautiful blocks sit untouched in a closet! Can’t wait to see closeups.

andi says:

It’s gorgeous.
    Just the right size.
    ;-)

Maritza says:

That is stunning. And the size? Looks perfect!

Terri says:

This is awesome, no matter what size it ends up. I would love to make a large string-pieced quilt using fabrics from my scrap bin. Do you think it used up many of your scraps? Great job plugging away on this project!

Em says:

that one is TOTALLY BEAUTIFUL! def my fav!

Carla says:

Your fabrics are beautiful with the white constant as a sashing. It looks so summery!

Caroline says:

Well it’s gorgeous! And who says it has to be queen sized anyway? Perfect, now you have me wanting to try because i love the look of this one :)

kate says:

Am thinking of getting the Bee gang to make these! Share the pain a bit ;)

Lovely string quilt!

Jan says:

I don’t know if it’s the perfect size, but it is PERFECT. I love it.

Gari says:

String blocks = a lot of straight sewing, a lot. But when you are doing you have a wonderful, colorful quilt. Good job!

CitricSugar says:

It looks fabulous – and the size is perfect!

Kate Conklin says:

Looks perfect to me. I love that size quilt – not too heavy, not too light. And you don’t have to struggle with it under the sewing machine. I think 120 blocks is much more than I would have finished.

Stunning…I love all the scrappy goodness in it.

Bet it will be the perfect size for curling up on the sofa with a really good book.

Liza says:

Tedious is definitely the right word to describe string quilts! I just finished one made of 72 9 1/2 inch squares. Hand-quilting the bugger is also quite tedious, but I think the effort will pay off in the end.

Your quilt looks to be the perfect size. Beautiful!

Erica says:

It’s lovely, no matter the size!

randi says:

It is gorgeous! I love all the colors.

Nicole says:

I am making one now. I have made 46 6×6 blocks and I am sick of making them. I try to be happy, I try to keep trucking along. The end result is so worth it. But it is like pulling teeth at this point. I find myself talking myself into a smaller finished product, which I know I will not be happy with.

I love yours!

alissa says:

Wow – this quilt is stunning! Every time I am on your site I want to go to my sewing machine IMMEDIATELY!!! Thanks for all the inspiration!

jaybird says:

that is a lot of string blocks!! … i think you made the right move… it’s just perfect in size!

Jacque. says:

I love the white binding…ties in all the white center strings. You did it again…another marvelous quilt!

Casey says:

Hi–

Do you have any idea offhand how much fabric you were expecting to use for your queen size quilt? I am trying to grasp any kind of idea of how much fabric to buy to make a queen sized quilt of my own.

48. Pingback: فروشگاه زمرد یاس » Blog Archive » String quilt