new books…

Right around this time, just as it starts to feel like Spring, I get an urge to make myself new skirts and dresses. I don’t always follow through, but I always have that thought. This year, while having that thought, I found my way over to yesasia.com to pick myself up the three Stylish Dress Books. You may be wondering why someone who has a problem following patterns written in English thinks they’re going to be able to follow Japanese patterns… I wonder that too.

japanese-craft-books

And then, while I was on my Japanese pattern book kick, I found a used bookstore in San Diego which also sold a lot of used Japanese books and picked up a couple patchwork books… and a Real Simple magazine. Of course. Because why wouldn’t you want an old (2007) copy of Real Simple in a language you don’t understand?! (it was only $1).

penguin-classics

I also picked up a couple more of the Penguin Classics to add to my collection (does 4 count as a collection?)

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland & Emma.

Other titles available here.

This entry was posted in General and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to new books…

Linda says:

I, too, am fascinated with with Japanese books, but have never bought any. Good luck with your skirt and dressmaking! The weather here in San Diego is not as nice as when you were here. It is gray and foggy – but no snow! 8-)

xoLinda

Colette says:

Please let us know when you try to make something out of one of the Japanese craft books. I have been mulling over getting a couple just for the pictures…but have my doubts about my actually being able to make anything from them.

amanda says:

Ooh! I hope you will give us a book report on that top book… I had it in my YesAsia cart just yesterday but chickened out. I really love everything I’ve seen made up from the book, but I don’t want to buy something that I’m going to be too intimidated to use!

Julie says:

Hehe, half the time I can’t really understand what patterns are trying to say, so they might as well be in Japanese to begin with :) I love the Penguin Classics – not only are the covers so interesting, but they have some weight to them.

I LOVE the chairs on the spine of the Jane Austen book.

Audrie says:

Ooh what great finds!! My husband and I are obsessed with the Penguin classics too hehe

Helen says:

I have all those Japanese books!! I’ve been to Japan twice and every time I go I bring back a huge stack of those Japanese pattern books. The kids ones are adorable too. All Japanese books are like that – cooking, all sorts of crafts like knitting, beading, etc. I am going back to Tokyo this summer and hope to bring back tons of books and purchase fabric from my favorite shops. I am curious to see if you figure out how to make the clothings. I haven’t had time to make any yet plus, I don’t read Japanese. I do have several Japanese friends so hopefully soon. It’s so nice to find books where I WANT to actually make the clothing in them.

I have two of the Penguin Classics. Your collection blows mine away! :D

cecilia says:

I have a feeling you buy those Penguin books because the covers are beautiful.

Sara says:

I bought the jane austens from modern library a while back to have a “beautiful” set but these are so lovely as well. What a beautiful wall to look up at, lined with those books. It’s so tempting!

Claire says:

LOVE the Alice’s Adventure in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass….a book with pink flamingos all over is a must have!

kate says:

Enjoy the Japanese books! Looking forward to seeing your creations.

BTW – I actually discovered why my attempt was such a disaster…used vintage rayon, so slippery. I will be sticking to cotton from now on ;)

Mary P. Smith says:

Can you please tell me the name of the used book store in san diego. We live in Escondido, about 35 miles north of San Diego and we both like books. Thank you

Terri says:

I love the looks of those Penguin Classics! Makes me want to pick up a couple myself. I have never seen any Japanese sewing books (in Japanese) in person. They always seem to have cool projects in them.

BirthdayGinny says:

Two or more of anything you don’t NEED can be considered a collection. At least that’s what my family agreed on as the definition when we discovered that some neat things are just cool to have. Books trump just about everything. Beautifully designed books are like beautiful quilts: useful AND pleasing to look at.

Metanoia says:

Much jealous… I wish I knew of somewhere that stocked japanese craft magazines locally so that I didn’t have to pay a premium!! (from Sth Aust)

17. Pingback: spring top week! – Film in the Fridge

Janice says:

OH MY LORD! I love that copy of Alice in Wonderland!!! It would look so good with my flamingo tattoo! ;-)

Katie says:

I just finished Emma yesterday and it is so very satisfying! Enjoy!