a colorful (and slightly wonky) string quilt top

Thank you. Truly. You all are so nice, and left such sweet comments about my grandfather. I really appreciate it.

I haven’t really been doing much sewing this week, though I do have photos of the Anna Maria Horner voile string top that I sewed together last week.

voile-string-quilt

It’s made out of most of the prints from her Little Folks line, which I’m really quite taken with. The colors, the prints, the feel of it – I just love it! (I’m even thinking about ordering a little more just to make sure I don’t run out!)

voile-string-quilt2

I made 10″ string blocks (tutorial here), but instead of keeping the strings completely straight, I went for a wonky look. It’s not super wonky — just enough to give it a little extra something something.

voile-string-quilt3

Still working on a backing, but hopefully I’ll get something figured out soon because I’m looking forward to seeing this one finished!

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to a colorful (and slightly wonky) string quilt top

I’m completely in love with your colors here!!!

Kimmer says:

Love it!!! So bright and cheerful… it’s perfect to break up the winter!

BirthdayGinny says:

Order and wonkiness with lots of color are part of my inheritance from my dear grandfather and from my father who was a grandfather,too. I suspect your artistic expression (as in this latest beauty) will always reflect your grandfather’s influence in your life.

Emily says:

Wow the wonkiness gives it a whole different look. It looks AWESOME!

Linda says:

Very cool quilt. Fantastic colors!! I’m working on quilts for my grandbabies (not all are REALLY babies 8-). I’m on my third flannel “Goodnight Monkey” top one for the boys. Just simple patches with sashing between, but it’s my own ‘design’, so I’m proud of them. Can’t decide whether to put patches on the back or not. I love the way you do it, but I’m nervous. I’ll send pics when I get them closer to done. Hope you’re feeling at least a teensy bit better. xoxoxo

Stacey says:

I have done some quick pillow work with her other line and always wondered how it would all look together on the quilt top. I love it! Not at all too busy like I feared. I might have to add this to the to do list.

The quilt is gorgeous. I’m always fascinated by your photographic backdrops. SOOOO interesting. And they just add to the total artistic quality of the quilt.

Tracey J says:

the slightly wonky strings look beautiful… great design decision.

amanda says:

It’s perfectly wonderful – one of my favorites to come out of your workshop for sure! I especially love the green strips in the middle… perfect.

Amber says:

Phat Fabrics is having a sale on Little Folks – look on her blog:

The quilt looks amazing – I’ve been too chicken to cut into mine yet!

Jennifer S says:

That’s awesome. Love it.

lindsmig says:

daaaaang! that is just GORGEOUS!! what do you do differently in your step-by-step to make the wonky strips? i am new to quilting and just can’t picture it in my head…

Karen N says:

That quilt looks so yummy.

Andi says:

Absolutely and completely divine!!!

Terri says:

Love the explosion of colors! And I do love that narrow green sashing in between all the wonkiness. Very cool!

Jen says:

This is really beautiful… hope it lifts your spirits. Love “Froth” one of the solids for the back or binding – the pale yellow is lovely.

Roseanne says:

just beautiful – inspired to try out this type of quilting!

Jackie says:

Ashley, I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. On a brighter note, I love your quilt!! Just beautiful!

Felicity says:

I haven’t been much of a string quilt fan…UNTIL NOW! That is just gorgeous. GORGEOUS.

(Condolences on losing your grandad.)

Lisa says:

I love the green sashing and I particularly like the slices of the deep solid brown – they really anchor each block and allow the eye to rest on individual fabrics. This will be a beautiful quilt!

While on the subject of string quilts, I made my first one using your fabulous tutorial! I linked to it in my blog post as well. Thanks so much. i love your blog and your quilts!!

whatupduck says:

Beautiful! I’m a string quilt addict also ;-)

Carla says:

Love the idea of a little wonky with the blocks. It’s looking really pretty!

Colette says:

Lovely! Thanks for the inspiration…I think I am going to use this fabric for my next quilt!

Raven says:

Oh Ashley…FYI I’m debating blowing off my parents (visiting from oregon) just to drive down to LA to meet you in person at the Monday Guild meeting. hmmmm…… :)

CitricSugar says:

The wonkiness makes it. Beautiful.

Kyla says:

It’s sooo cute!!! I LOVE all the color, very bright and vibrant. It turned out great…mabey for the back you should try something simple like a solid color with a strip of the fabric from the front.

jojoebi says:

Hi, I hope you don’t mind, I have added one of your tutorials to my 100+ fat quarter tutorials post, thank you for sharing :o)
    jo

31. Pingback: and I present to you… the flying farfalle quilt! – Film in the Fridge

DJude says:

Your quilts are beautiful!I love your style and color choices! I am also addicted to string quilts!

Hi Ashley

I’m writing a Squidoo lens about all sorts of quilt styles. I have linked to this page, but I’d like to use a picture from the quilt (linked also back to here) if you would allow me.

Thanks